Writer from The Athletic gives Lions 5th-best draft class

1 Like

Here’s the expanded comments:

Favorite pick: T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
I was also a huge fan of LB Jahlani Tavai and several of the Lions’ picks on Day 3, but Hockenson can be a true difference-maker for the Detroit offense. He will make an immediate impact as both a blocker and pass catcher, helping spring runs for Kerryon Johnson and providing Matthew Stafford with a valuable target.

Questionable pick: Ty Johnson, RB Maryland
Johnson posted terrific production in college with 7.6 yards per carry and 4,196 all-purpose yards, and he has the talent to earn a roster spot in the NFL. But he was drafted ahead of better backs in my rankings, like Notre Dame’s Dexter Williams or Utah State’s Darwin Thompson.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Travis Fulgham, WR, Old Dominion
A prospect deserving of the “ascending player” label, Fulgham steadily improved in the past four seasons at Old Dominion and has yet to play his best football. With his 6-foot-2, 215-pound frame with near-34-inch arms, Fulgham has the talent to find the field on money downs as a rookie, using his size and adjustment skills to be productive.

1 Like

I ain’t going to lie, I was very disappointed after Day 2. But I know I ain’t that football smart and I don’t know what Quinn and the Lions coaches/scouts know, and anyway it comes down to how well these guys and the rest of the team do when it counts. I will say this, sometimes it comes down to grit; who is the most or best prepared and who wants it the most. You still gotta have the requisite size, strength, speed, etc., so I think we gotta withhold judgement until these guys hit the field on game day.

2 Likes

But, but, but…MY GUY, DAMMIT!

“I sign football players, not names”

1 Like

I thought it said “The Atlantic.”
I was thinking…oh, this should be good.

1 Like