WR's with mega contracts

I wouldn’t pay Golladay top dollar. He is a mid level #1 IMO, and it’s easier than ever to find WRs in the draft that can produce immediately. I can completely understand and appreciate others view of wanting to pay him. I am fine with it either way.

1 Like

While I believe he is a top five: your stance here is correct.

I can see where BQ doesn’t want to go past the average cost of the 7th highest paid wr out there…

I’m so glad I don’t deal with this type of stress in a daily basis!!

Go BQ, MP and Rod!! Get it right!! That is all

2 Likes

At a cap charge… I don’t understand why everyone wants to buy high when we know the cap at the very least is going to stay neutral. He’s a good player, but he’s not irreplaceable. Look at Keenan Allen’s contract he just signed, 4 years $80 million with $43 million guaranteed… They could get out of it after 2 years and pay $8 million in dead cap. Do you really want to pay $8 million for someone to NOT play for you? It’s asinine IMO… I’m all for a performance based long term deal, 4/$60 million worth up to $90 million if he’s voted all pro 2 of the 4 years or we win a super bowl. He hasn’t even been voted to a pro bowl, he got in last year bc someone was injured and everyone is okay paying him $20 million a year… It’s crazy!

What you want and how the business of Football gets done are 2 different things.

And I would have no qualms with a 6 million dollar cap charge 3 seasons from now if Kenny falls off a cliff if his cap hit in 2021 is only 12 million like Amari Cooper’s instead the 18 it might be under the tag.

1 Like

all along I said, pay him 17 to 19 and no MORE, in addition, just because people say pay him doesn’t mean they are pounding the table for Golladay to get $20 million…so I don’t know how you can state “everyone is ok paying him $20 million a year.”

has Golladay demanded 20 million??

1 Like

Doesn’t seem very BQ to me. See Glasgow in a nearly identical situation. Replaced a 3rd round pick who blossomed into an expensive FA with a 3rd round pick the same offseason, GG got his money elsewhere. We got JJ and haven’t missed a beat. Sucks not getting anything but a cheaper player, but… I don’t see KG getting top WR money from BQ. If a new staff ends up being brought in, who knows.

1 Like

I really like KG but I wouldn’t pay anything over 17m for any WR.

Let’s play out this season, make a push. And let him test the he market after. Worst case we get in position for 3rd round comp unless he gets injured.

I want all our eggs in a basket here for the last of the 16 game regular season.

The money is going to get spent somewhere.

Why scrimp on Golladay? Just so we can go sign another washed-up Patriot?

I think the best use of cap is on home-grown talent rather than guys from other teams. You know their strengths and weaknesses, and it goes over a helluva lot better in the locker room.

One would have to analyze the data, but I bet that would be borne out.

2 Likes

I noticed that this offseason the 1st thing multiple new regimes did was pay the stars already on the roster.

The 2 that stand out where Cleveland and Carolina.

Now I look at our cap sheet and I don’t see anyone who might walk due to cap space who’s any good even if Kenny gets 20 over the next 3 years.

We know Bob’s track record of getting value on outside free agents is dicey at best, especially top of the market at their position ones.

But let’s say Quinn and Patricia get the boot then what?

Go back and look at what Howie Roseman did when he took back over the Eagles if you haven’t already. He vowed to have a “pay your own first” philosophy in Philly and he went on a spending spree for Philly drafted players.

2 Likes

So, don’t pay playmakers and only pay positions that don’t have as high of an injury rate such as OG’s and Centers.

This plan should allow you to draft playmakers every year at the top of the draft.

I’m pretty sure you can list some of the top teams and they have a WR that is getting paid or they are drafting WR’s high.
Pay this position, draft that one. Don’t pay this position group, draft this position group. It’s how it works.

Buffalo- Stefon Diggs
KC - Tyreek Hill
Cards- DeAndre Hopkins

TJ Lang was the 3rd highest paid guard in the NFL when we got him and we know how often he was on the field on that deal.

1 Like

And by your logic, we shouldn’t have paid CJ or Barry.

Replace him with what three starters? Is it OK throwing money at a FA WR? We drafting a couple? Even some WRs bust or take time. Can we agree that KG is a warrior? What’s is say not only to your team but players everywhere when this is the kind of player you don’t want to give a second contract to? KG has earned a second contract. $20 million on your #1 WR will look like a bargain when the new TV contract comes in. It’s the very reason teams are starting to give their QBs 40 or 50 million. Bottom line is its good for the Detroit Lions to re-sign guys that earn it.

2 Likes

There is truth to this too.
Lots of ppl bitched when Matt was highest paid, but he was only highest paid for like 15 minutes.
Truthfully, this is where I become a pure fan and have no clue wtf I am talking about.

My opinion is that we lean heavily toward bringing him back. KG was instrumental in every win we had is year. We may not have a win without him. ■■■■ I wish swift would have caught that ball in the end zone. lol.

And yes - KG most definitely is a warrior. He’s not some prima donna, this dude has guts. He’s been pretty healthy, and he’s a tough guy. Love having tough guys on O.

Hope it works out to bring him back.

This is where I disagree.

I’d love to have KG back but I do not think he’s a 20+ mil a year WR. Once your north of 17 mil I think I’d move on. There’s a good chance someone pays KG that much but I think it’s a mistake.

KG’s best season was 1190 yards. That’s not elite level production. Ask yourself why he’s not putting up more stats than that? … The answer is his route running, lower catch rate and ability after the catch. He’s great at the contested balls and he’s great in the red zone and that’s why he deserves 15mil plus but that’s the limit in my opinion.

I believe the reason a contract hasn’t gotten done is because KG wants elite money and BQ doesn’t feel he is worth that much.

With the salary cap possibly dropping to 175mil I think it’s wise to think long and hard about spending that much.

Personally in this case I firmly believe the tag is the right answer.

If you don’t want to pay a top WR #1money, you need to keep drafting guys as you have to have guys who can separate. The Lions have Golladay who doesn’t separate well, MJ who doesn’t separate well, Amendola who can separate but is nothing after the catch and always hurt. If you want to play that game you need to constantly add WR’s every year so that when a guy like Golladay is due to get paid you have a younger guy who can be a main target. I don’t think any WR outside of Calvin is worth 20 mil/year. None of them do enough to justify it.