Year 7 Goff > Year 7 Stafford

That’s true!! We had no WR’s last year and even this year for half the season most of the WR’s have been hurt. When Goff and Ben Johnson have healthy weapons on the field, this really is a very good offense.

A healthy Swift that we finally saw yesterday is a real game changer for the offense as well!

The thing is Goff just turned 28 years old a couple months ago… why can’t he still get better!?

2 Likes

Yes plus Jamo will help

2 Likes

We totally fleeced the Rams and they’re extremely fortunate that they won a Superbowl last year with Stafford since there was easily 2 or 3 better teams. They didn’t have to play one of the top AFC teams in the Superbowl, instead they got the Bengals. Fortunate. I can’t imagine how bad it would be for Snead if he didn’t have that Superbowl. But now it’s the Lions who fortune is shining on. Yes, nobody was expecting a top 5 pick but damn if we don’t deserve it.

4 Likes

I said the same when we got goff… that stafford at that same point of his career was viewed as broken and unable to win… he recovered and grew with caldwell and cooter and there isnt a reason goff cant as well unless you believe his issues are physical limitations that he cant improve on

2 Likes

Ol Jim Bob Cooter lmao I forgot about him lol…

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with your posts. Hot tales rarely age well.

Perspective- Goff joined a dumpster fire team with a lame duck coach as a 21 year old. Fisher was fired with a few weeks left in Goffs rookie year…. In comes McVay with comped new scheme, high expectations, and a big ego…. 2017 Goff is 22 in a new scheme with 3 new receivers…. He goes to the Pro Bowl, and playoffs… has a 4-1 td/int rating and wins 11 games. 2018… loses Watkins and gains Cooks, but mid way through the year he loses Kupp, and Gurley starts to fall apart. They go 13-3… make the SB and Goff has 32 TDs and 4700 yards as a 23-24 year old.

Then the OL falls apart in the off-season, Kupp is coming back from a big injury, Gurley is a disaster averaging 3.7 yards a carry, and Cooks is banged up all year and has like 500 yards…. The defense sucks too and suddenly the “GREAT MCVAY” is just 9-7.

Now it’s 2020 and there is clear beef between McVay and Goff… anyone remember Rodgers fighting with Lafleur in 19’? He had 26 tds all year…. When a QB and the coach are at odds… it rarely ends well-

So in 2021 McVay got his scapegoat. He didn’t just add Stafford to replace Goff though…

He paid a future 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounder to add Von Miller and Michel, and brought in OBJ mid year in the middle of a 4 game slide….

• Les is very lucky that they didn’t have to play in Lambeau, that the Bucs were missing like 6-7 starters, that Tart dropped that punt/pass… that they drew a 7 loss Bengals with no OL out of the AFC… also lucky that somehow Stafford and Kupp stayed healthy all year….

• my gut says is Kupp would have torn his Acl in week 9 last year, like he did with in week 9 of 2018…. They wouldn’t have a ring….

Stafford played his ass off… Kupp, Donald, OBJ, Miller etc too and it worked.

Now we are seeing WHY it is such a brilliant plan. The Rams will suck for the next 3 years at least.

Having that ring surely makes it worth it, but I promise that ring provides no comfort to those watching that team on Sundays now

When the Wings, Pistons etc were winning rings, I wouldn’t have been okay with 20-62 the next year because I went to the parade.

2 Likes

If that 2”14 team had Goff the Lions DO NOT beat Dallas and they DO NOT make a deep run. That offense was puke because of Caldwell, who wasn’t on the same page as his offensive talent. What was Caldwell gonna do different with Goff?? He would have gone the same thing which would have amounted to no better than the same result that the team had with Stafford.

So the Bengals didn’t earn their trip to the Super Bowl?? :thinking:

Let’s just hope Goff doesn’t lose 20 lbs though. I don’t think he would look very good if he did.

With Goff we run a more balanced offense. The 2014 offense was pretty terrible. It wasn’t all Staffords fault. To your point, they were trying to force him into an offense that didn’t fit his skill set or the Olines skill set

Stafford was a shotgun QB and the offense he thrived in was quick throws to small pass catching RBs with deep heaves to CJ and bubble screens and slants to Burleson/Tate

The Oline was drafted over years to accommodate this. Smaller more athletic guys who were better in pass protect than run protect.

When that offense started to get too predictable to succeed they brought in Lombardi to force an under center play action offense that Stafford wasn’t ready for

The reason I say Goff would have won is he is that guy. He fits the mold of the Lombardi New Orleans style offense. He’s better at play action and running that kind of style

2 Likes

I think the truth is none of us have no idea what Caldwell would have done other than to run the offense that he did. If so, the offense is no better with Goff. Now if Goff is simply a game manager…which Stafford isn’t, then that 2014 offense is probably more efficient and has less turnovers. But I don’t view Goff as a game manager. Goff could easily do what Trent Green and Marc Bulger did in St.Louis with that kind of talent. But if a coach like Caldwell is gonna handcuff him…he won’t be as effective IMO.

1 Like

I don’t know that that’s true. Caldwell was credited for breathing life into the Baltimore offense when Flacco when on his Super bowl tear. And Peyton Manning regularly credits him for helping his performance. It’s a big part of why Caldwell was brought on. To help Stafford become less erratic

1 Like

I’m not sure why having Jamo jersey’s means that you love Stafford. But whatevs.

3 Likes

Haha well played!!

Also Jamo seriously needs to ditch that massive shirt under his jersey. That gives tacklers something to grab on to. He looks like he’s playing outside in Lambeau in January, haha

Another thing I noticed is he was playing without his mouthguard in yesterday. The thing was flying all over the place. Strange.

I noticed that too, thought it was odd.

2 Likes

I think year 7 of Goff is better than year 7 of Stafford. I thought Stafford got a lot better year 7 through the time he was traded (even though the team got worst under Fatty Matty).

I wanted Tua or Herbert when Stafford was playing some of his best football and if their is top talent QB available, I want him, even though Goff is playing really well.

In BH/MCDC I trust.

5 Likes

Yea, I’m thinking to myself, either wear it or just take it off. What’s the point of it flipping around everywhere tied to your facemask… honestly never really seen that before. Very odd, also these NFL defenders will hit you now, might want to put that mouthguard in young fella!

1 Like

So having the absolute worst D in the league for the majority of his time here, #1 and #2 WR’s out, starting #1 RB missing how many games, an OC that was fired half way thru his first season, that’s not as bad as Stafford had it? LOL, oh my…

3 Likes

I feel they did just an extreme point trying to be made…maybe to much emotion involved

Stafford had to go through the struggles and other BS to, apples to apples…you think Matt had a defense errr no try again. and again, the staff got rid of Golladay, Amendola, Tate, and eventually Calvin to…let me not forget how wonderful Ebron was lol.