Yo! Rodriguez Lovers! Over Here!

I’m thinking he has a good chance to start next year.
I like his wiring…A LOT!
He’s hyper-aggressive and tackles with great form…and as for his physical stature… Look at the legs. Not only does he have good legs, he has developed good instinct and tackles with his legs. The shoulder is what you make impact with…the LEGS are what you tackle with (arms are just for wrapping up and trying to punch the ball out with).

I think this dude is a really nice contributor, especially considering where he was drafted. High floor player. Floor is a Great backup and ST guy.

Ceiling …who knows? Probably never gonna be Urlacker, but he could be sam Mills

5 Likes

Been watching MRod his whole collegiate career. Every game I always thought, I wish we had a gamer like him on the Lions. And boom, we do now! He has the heart of a Lion!

5 Likes

Excellent, man! Thanks for the input. He’s got the talent, if his body can hold up and get it done. Love the guy.

3 Likes

Agreed Natty! He really was durable at OSU. We all know that does not always translate to the next level, but we do have a player we can and will trust in at the LB spot.

Simply put, he does not over pursue. When a big stop was needed he always seemed to be in on it. He for sure stood out in run support and in coverage. I am truly shocked he lasted on the board as long as he did. I know he isn’t the prototypical size for a LB, nonetheless, we will grow to love this kid!

3 Likes

I love the ferociousness. Controlled aggression, and causes turnovers. “Knowingness” that is far beyond confidence. I feel like he’s gonna make it. Could not have a better locker room guy either. This team is going to be aggressive and relentless. Can’t wait to see these guys go hit some ppl in the mouth

2 Likes

I watched his game against OU in 2018….
when he played safety.

safety. deep safety.

I have high hopes for his ability as a coverage LB.
This picture below shows him in quarters coverage on WR Lee Morris (left circled player in middle of field)… tight coverage.

Also… example of his speed here….

Ceedee Lamb had a 65 yard punt return in the 2018 game. Malcolm got the tackle… after catching him from behind… all the way across the field and 50 yards downfield. These 2 picks don’t really do it justice… but it is at the 41:30 mark of the video below.

Malcolm is #20 on left of pic…

and he dives to make enough contact to force Lamb out….

4 Likes

This is a must for a LB imo

1 Like

Jahlani says speed kills!

National Football League No GIF by Detroit Lions

1 Like

Jahlani is saying ouch from picking the splinters out of his ass.

2 Likes

Those short strong arms caused 11 forced fumbles in his last 2 seasons, 7 in his junior year–leading the nation–and 4 in his senior year.

2 Likes

Saw that…fantastic. Joseph, AO, Rodriguez, Hutch, Pashal are all known for creating turnovers. It’s not an accident. Loving it

1 Like

Here is another player with similar size… who was taken in the 2nd round.

Bolton’s arms are 1.5’ longer than Malcolm’s… and the wingspan is only 3 inches longer.
Same height.
Only 5 pounds difference in weight.
Malcolm has an edge in EVERY athletic category.

1 Like

Wow! How did Bolton do for the chiefs?

I see Rodriguez as having a lot of upside. Wagner was considered short for a LB. Some of these guys are still growing into their bodies at 20 years old.

1 Like

Malcolm gonna be a faster more athletic Steven Boyd type LB.

3 Likes

My favorite draft pick by far! M-Rod is going to light it up.

He’s another Bobby Wagner. Right attitude, right work ethic, great instincts., hits with a ton of bricks.

I like players who get downgraded because of their height and weight. Sort of the antithesis of a Quintricia draftee like Tavai,

Besides, in the draft contest I picked him to go in the sixth round. Boom!

4 Likes

Bolton did real well for the Chiefs. He’s another guy that JUST MAKES PLAYS. I was heartbroken that we didn’t take him or JOK instead of Levi last year.

1 Like

Heck of a wrap up tackler as well from his wrestling background. This is a long but worth while video of Dion in his analysis of M-Rod.

Best VALUE Pick? STRONGEST LB In The Class! Malcolm Rodriguez: Detroit Lions Draft 2022 - YouTube

4 Likes

great video., thx!
one thing that this guy mentioned which I haven’t seen elsewhere: he has the ability to make himself a “small target” for offensive linemen. I think this is a very underrated trait for ILB’s, (much like RB’s who can ‘hide’ in the mountains of beef). The more I learn about M-Rod, the more I like him.

1 Like

Dear Jesus, let this be true.

Dear, sweet, tiny, baby Jesus…Let this be true!

4 Likes

I like how M-Rod finished the season as well.
OK. State played top ranked teams to end the season.

Check out his production against the best teams they played…
double digit tackles in all 3 games… plus impact plays!!!

and check out this play against Notre Dame… showing off instincts and speed in coverage!
jet sweep motion for distraction…

After snap… Malcolm reads the RB moving to flat… (clock reads 6:22 in quarter)

Pass is in air and M-Rod is already closing in…

ball caught by RB at -yard line.

M-Rod makes contact a 44-yard line

And makes tackle for 2-yard gain.
Notice that the clock shows 6:20 — which means he made the tackle within 3 seconds of the snap – after running 20 yards to the sideline. :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

This is a good video of the Notre Dame offense against OSU defense for a quick way to watch most his snaps in that game.

5 Likes