You do NOT pass on these QB's

They resort to their athletic ability which usually means tuck the ball qnd run

Yep his jumping ability has nothing to do with throwing the ball with pressure coming at you. When that happened in college he was terrible.

His 28.2% uncatchable ball rate is good for 7th all time in the history of college football. I know silly me, those things can be taught. Problem is the staff had 3 years to work with him and that was the result

3 Likes

If I go back and watch the tape, I see Brice Young is the best QB in this class, Stroud throws a beautiful ball and was surrounded by a plethora of WR talent, that Levis has talent but needs coaching and the Florida Gators are by far the most undisciplined team I saw play last year and Richardson is a product of that lack of discipline, but he has tremendous potential. What’s not to like about this QB class?

As an NFL coach, and you have confidence in your abilities, I don’t think you could ask for much more in a prospect. It’s your responsibility to get the best out of your players and tap into that potential.

Had a discussion yesterday about UM Basketball that I think relates. When Juwan Howard was hired, I knew there would be an uptick in recruiting, but could he coach. John Beilein could take a kid off the street, teach him to shoot and have them competing for championships but could never finish in part because he lacked the most physically gifted players.

This is a really good QB class, can’t say if one of them is right for Detroit.

2 Likes

Simply having talent and athletic ability doesn’t mean this is a good quarterback class. Every quarterback class has guys with strong arms or that can run and jump out of the gym. Then they get on the field and can’t read defenses or don’t like getting hit so they buckle under pressure. In the 2000 draft the 49ers drafted Giovanni carmazzi. He was a big kid with a strong arm and athletic ability. He didn’t like getting hit. He would panic under pressure and make terrible decisions. On paper he should have been an elite quarterback. Same with guys like Paxton lynch, David carr ( although I think carr could have been very good if he wasn’t brutalized by the Texans offensive line.) Tim couch, malik Willis, Jeff George and on and on.

1 Like

There’s gonna be 4 QBs drafted in the top 10. You can say this QB class isn’t very good but you would be flat out wrong.

Last years QB class was bad. The evidence is in the draft as only Cody Pickett was a 1st round pick. Now if something similar happens this year you can say “I told you so!” Last year was proof of what the NFL thinks of a draft class. And this years is going to be completely different.

You can have your opinion, but at the end of the day that’s all it is. Hendon Hooker with be the best QB available after pick 9.

1 Like

Richardson is a fantastic athlete. And the tape says he’s an ok QB. He doesn’t get through progressions, his decision making is pretty bad, and his timing and accuracy are suspect at best. Most of these things are behind where Josh Allen was coming out. He is so raw. He has potential… but you don’t take that at 1 when there are QBs that show better read / recognition skills and better accuracy. Richardson should be the 4th QB in this class. If a team takes him over the other guys… there is giant bust potential. And if he does become good… I believe he will be a great running QB and an ok passer at best in the NFL.

2 Likes

I wish I could watch and study the tape of all 4.
They all have good athletic traits and arm talent. What is #1 in my book is how quick they are able to read thru their progressions.
Accuracy can be taught, reading the play, throwing receivers open is a Brady trait I’m looking for.
From my limited ability to see them all play, I have say Young seems to have this ability over the others. In the same breath, he also has the team and coaching that can helps this trait shine over that of the other 3.

1 Like

You can make the same argument every year. But potential is exactly why you take any player at 1, nothing is ever guaranteed, especially with a QB prospects. The NFL draft is all about drafting players with potential, you trust your evaluation and your ability to coach them.

Pass

2 Likes

It’s not great QB potential though… you’d literally have to develop like all aspects of actually playing QB. He can make crazy off schedule plays because of his incredible athleticism… But playing QB is about keeping plays on schedule, reading defenses, going through progressions and throwing accurate passes to the right option. If you graded him just on that… he’s like a 5th rounder.

2 Likes

You’ve narrowed it down to one player, I said this is a great QB class. As for Richardson, I’m as unsure as any, but if you can get rid of the bad footwork and improve his accuracy, woowee would he be fun to watch.

Honestly I think the other 3 are good 1st round prospects. This is a good class… I’m just reacting to people’s over reaction to the under wear Olympics. Richardson’s tape is not of a 1st rounder.

3 Likes

Exclusively based on tape, he is not. He came out a year early for sure, but if your guaranteed to go in the 1st round, you gotta go. Another year in college and a good coach would have done wonders for his development. Whoever drafts him, needs to sit him for at least a year. Same for Levis.

You don’t pass on QB’s and you don’t run away from RB’s.

2 Likes

I will also add that you don’t tug on Superman’s cape, you don’t spit into the wind. You don’t pull the mask on the old Lone Ranger and you don’t mess around with Jim.

ron burgundy anchorman GIF

3 Likes

And Never…NEVER try to gain an edge by rushing your pick when it comes to DE.

1 Like

The whole idea of drafting a rookie QB is because of the contract which means you need them to develop quickly.

Chicago has 3 years left on fields contract before he demands a huge contract. Is he winning a Super Bowl next year? Because then you have 2 years left. Richardson needs 2 years before you know what you even have and I’m not doing that with the pick at six.

Levi’s got out thrown by Stetson at the combine and they have the same velocity so where is that HUGE arm. Why would you pick him before Stetson?

Stroud was good and and shown progress but is he better than Goff? I don’t think so but he might be in another year. If you are worried about Young’s size this is your guy.

Young is a stud.Mentally he is way ahead of the pack. If he falls to the Lions at 6 I make that pick. He can play right away and win you games.

If we have a chance at Bryce Young, I’ll entertain the idea.
I ain’t dropping Jared Goff for Will Levi’s. (Spellcheck switched to Levi’s. I liked it. I kept it)

1 Like

Can you show me where you read this? Haven’t seen that yet.

I’ve had us taking either Jaren Hall or Stetson in the 6th from the get go. Stetson moves well enough in the pocket and has won national titles but no one wants him? I don’t get it.

4 Likes

I’m watching the combine and they were in the same group. They both threw 59 mph.

Richardson and Stroud crushed the deep balls followed by Stetson Bennett IMO. Richardson has the power but Stroud can hit that outside shoulder 50+ yards down the field.

1 Like