Your OPINION Please

Looking past the actual 22 season, who do you believe will be the top rookie player from the 22 draft?
I believe Parsons was the best of the 21 class so far. Who will it be for the 22 class?
My take is the safety from ND Hamilton.
The draft guidelines say no TE’s, no Safety’s, no LB’s in the top 5. In hindsight would you have been okay with Parsons at 2OA last year? If Hamilton is rookie of the year in 22, would you be okay with him at #2 this year?

1 Like

It’ll be Stingley.

I also am willing to make a friendly bet with someone that he goes to the Giants with either the 5th or 7th pick.

I like Stingley and will not take that bet.
It seems in years past a player coming off 2 years of injuries was dropped from top 10 consideration. Why does it seem like injuries are not taken into account this year?

I think there will be several good players and there will never be a consensus best player. Just like Parsons isn’t the consensus best player from 21.

Well, hard to say. Whose to say a 5th rounder we don’t really talk about right now BLOWS UP?

If you are just looking at the first round……depends on who you personally like.

It better be whoever the lions take at the number 2 pick…….after all that’s what you hope for when you draft that high.

2 Likes

Without knowing where these guys were drafted, we’re just guessing. Part of what made Parsons so good is he went to a place that allowed him to rush the passer (out of necessity, but still). Other places he might have been strictly an off-ball LB. He still would have been great, clearly, but not as impactful.

Slater is being heaped with accolades and he had a good year, but he was majorly helped by having an athetic freak behind him who could extend plays. Sewell had to play two positions and protect an unathletic statue who was skittish for 2/3 of the year. Very different scenarios.

4 Likes

I think it’s going to be Kyle Hamilton, he covers like a cornerback and fills like a linebacker. When you are looking at matchups he can do it all. Cover’s WR’s HB’s and TE’s very effectively and offers above average run support.

I also agree with @Thats2 , part of success is the talent around you and being in the right situation. Parsons is good but if he’s pass rushing against and Sewell, I’m taking Sewell all day long and it’s not close. It’s at least in part about perspective.

I like this thread. In looking at rookies of the year in the past 10-20 seasons it is normally an offensive player. There is an offensive and defensive rookie of the year and then a decision is made for an overall rookie of the year. Opportunity plays a HUGE role in the decision but it normally goes to a player who has a MAJOR impact as a rookie.

Since 2002 there has been 2 defensive rookies of the year: in 2019 Nick Bosa and in 2010 the Lions Suh.

In 2021 LBer Parsons has to be in serious consideration for rookie of the year although Patriots QB Mac Jones will also be a consideration as will Dolphins WR Jaylen Waddle and likely TE Kyle Pitts. Bengals WR J. Chase has a good argument to make too so this will be a VERY tough decision in 2022. There are some serious players out there but I see Parsons as the leader of this race as has 13 sacks as a LBer and 84 tackles on a high-profile playoff team.

If an edge rusher becomes Nick Bosa with HUGE sack numbers and a dominant game AND no offensive skill player kills it a defensive player has shot of course.

For Kyle Hamilton to win ROY he will likely have to be either a sack guy OR a HUGE INT guy if you are looking at picking a guy playing in the secondary. That means whoever picks Hamilton has to put him in a position to e a serious playmaker. The Lions fit that criteria as they are likely looking for a real strong safety and a Hamilton could be a really, really good player here. Hamilton has 8 career INTs in 3 college seasons which is respectable.

My gut reaction is that one of these edge guys has a better shot at being the top defensive player in this draft BUT Hamilton could be real playmaker too and yep, he has a shot at being a guy like that.

What is weird is when you think of most great safeties you normally thing free safeties. Hamilton has a shot at being a dominant strong safety who can cover and step up in run support BUT Kyle has 0 career sacks meaning one really has to look at how he was used in college to try to forecast what he might do in the pros.

If I am the Lions I am drafting edge and I am not sure who we should pick at this point. I look to add a safety later though through the draft. I also lock down Tracy Walker as my free safety noting Tracy had the most attitude of all our defenders and this defense needs that.

1 Like

Just curious: how many times has a CB turned out to be the best player in a draft class? I can’t think it is very many.

I know a lot of people don’t like the combine, but the two best rookies last year–Parsons & Chase–posted amazing athletic numbers in the 40 and those other tests.

I’m not a scout, so I always find the numbers from the combine helpful. Guys who can match elite athletic numbers with really good stats are always good bets to have a big impact in the pros.

I hope the combine goes off as planned and that we Hamilton, Hutch, and Thibodeaux all work out.

1 Like

Those were at their pro days. There was no combine last year.

It’s debatable if any CB has ever been the best player in their draft… The best CB ever was Dion imo and he was in the draft class of Aikman, Barry and Derrick Thomas. Revis had Calvin and AP. Looking back at past drafts makes me realize how light at the top this draft is. I really hope we can find a way trade down.

Parsons may be the guy in the defensive side of the ball, but I think you’d get a solid argument that Chase is just as impactful on the offensive side. The top of the 21 draft has shown pretty well, sans the qbs. Only qb to play really well was Jones to me.

By the time they retire, Sewell will be the best player from that class by a mile

4 Likes

Well, even if we do know where they’re going, we’re still guessing. :slight_smile:

We might best start with pegging the players to scheme…
At 1st glance, I’d say Hutch belongs as the RDE in 4-3. If we’re going to assume the best for him, we’d peg him in a 4-3.
Thibs would best fit as an OLB in a 3-4.

Hamilton is a safety, so there’s going to be less guess-work with him, I would think. Still, since he has that versatility to come up and play like a Linebacker, you can’t help bug peg him to a 3-4 like the Steelers or our own. The flexibility he has in playing deep, intermediate and blitzing… you almost root for him to go to Detroit or Pittsburgh for his own stardom. How many scouts are comparing him to Minkah?

Someone else can help from here. I feel like I just talked myself into Hamilton at pick 2 LOL.

2 Likes

Nakobe Dean. His speed and athleticism translate very well to the league.

Others I see as close to can’t-miss:

• Hutchinson
  • Devin Lloyd
  • Kyle Hamilton
  • Derek Stingley Jr.
  • Jameson Williams
  • Jahan Dotson
2 Likes

I’d add Walker III to that list.

Fully think he’d be a beast in a Lions uniform and their scheme.

1 Like

I was just thinking Walker III as well. Not because he’s the best of class, simply RB is one of the better transitions. Depends on the team drafting, of course.

1 Like

Is this for the players entire career, or just one or two season after?
I’m asking cause Myles Garret was good not great after his first season. Now, holy hell.

My understanding is its rookie year impact

1 Like