Your plan to fix the safety position next year

Trading down from where?

Looks like we’ll have the 2nd overall pick. I’m thinking we could move down to the 5 - 7 range and get Hamilton. Would I rather stay put and take KT or Hutchinson? Probably, but a draft where we have 4 or 5 of the top 40 picks doesn’t sound to bad.

1 Like

Bengals have a ton of cap space in 2022… so probably won’t hit the market.

I like him a lot… so kind of bummed about it.

Honestly, I simply think it’s a bad use of draft capital. Lot’s of safeties, good ones, to choose from this year.

1 Like

The problem with this idea is both guys are true Free Safeties. We tried Walker at SS and he struggled he’s far better in space.

I think that if we go after Williams we will be letting Walker walk via FA.

We ran a lot of two man with year so we could do something like that but it would diminish what Glenn could do on Def.

I think it’s more likely that Walker is back and we address the other safety spot via the draft.

There’s a SS named Qundry Diggs who is a FA in Seattle … lol :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I think we’re looking towards the draft for a versatile safety who can play both in space and be capable of playing down field. One guy I like is Jordan Battle. He has the size, speed and ability that teams covet.

2 Likes

Which one makes it to say play like M Williams? If you have the answer fine but its like say top 6 maybe two make solid pros. Its the draft no one is sure what your getting as a pro.

There are some good ones at least should be if you pick right one. Some will be like Harris who you want to ship away an some will be just ok.

I like idea for sure trying to sign Marcus if we do then we have to pass on Walker I think sign Walker an keep the 10 mil an draft a thumper S high in draft maybe even two one later.

Walker is a FS an plays that at high level. Draft a hard hitting SS an maybe an other later.

There are few who will be there rd 5 an 6

agreed… not a fan of safeties in top 10 picks… and typically not even top 15.

1 Like

Thats why JAQUAN BRISKER SS would be nice pick with are second rd one pick or are second rd pick To Pair with Walker if we resign. Save the 10 mil you would give to WIlliams some for Walker an rest for another position or resign someone.

2 Likes

Fine, who are we taking at LB? Brisker is in a pack of 4 or 5 guys that I like but I’m not using a hi draft pick to get him with the others still sitting there.

Hamilton is a stud but ……

I’d have a hard time getting on board with taking a Safety high round one. It’s just a bad strategy. Much like taking a TE that high. You best hit on a true generational talent for it to be a good pick.

So many good safeties come late round 1 - late round 2. I just feel your getting better value there.

1 Like

I’m thinking we go RD1 Edge, RD1 (Rams) WR,

So safety and LBer come in play after that.

One LBer I like that will likely go mid round 2 - Rd 3
is Brandon Smith from Penn State.

He has size, range, and versatility to play both inside and outside. Not to mention he can blitz. He has first round ability but has some minor things to clean up in his game. If he went back for his senior year I think he’d be a first rounder next year but he declared.

1 Like

So if I can take this conversation in another direction, I’m curious what style of safety pair are you looking for. Do you want a defined strong safety type who’s a factor downhill but may struggle in the deep secondary? Do you instead want two modern safeties with serious coverage chops but who are just okay in the run game? Do you want guys that are simply incredibly sound or do
you want to be a ball hawk who gambles a bit?

I apologize if this should be a thread but I think it’s worth flushing out and I believe it will explain why some here are very high on Walker

1 Like

I want 2 guys that can make plays in the passing game. I think it is too easy to isolate and target the old “box safety” types with modern offenses.

2 Likes

That’s where I’m at. Make Walker the more physical of the two but don’t make him a strong safety in traditional terms.

Then personally I’d like a pinch of gamble to our premier pass coverage safety.

2 Likes

Although things will always change in the NFL… I am a big fan of the Fangio style defense.

Gimme edge rushers and DBs for days… and LBs that can run and strike…. and then disguise the pressure looks when possible.

I mean, if a safety is a top centerfielder…it takes away the deep ball for the most part…

I really dont think an elite safety is something to overlook as long as the rest of the defense knows the BOSS is back there

If they let Harris walk…sign a FA safety like Bates, Diggs, Williams… draft Kyle Hamitlon

That’s opens the door for AG to to a lot

Are you asking me or the OP?

Personally I think it’s matters more on what our DC wants.

He ran a mixed bag with his safeties this year. He ran a fair amount of cover two and single high.

I think this shows Glenn wants and needs at least one Safety who is versatile.

Me personally I want a big, physical and yet versatile S who has range.

1 Like

I’m asking everybody. I need friends, Air. :joy:

4 Likes

But yes I was more so interested in what posters wanted as opposed to what we thought the regime was looking for.

Yes…if an ELITE centerfielder is back there…AG can Rex Ryan it up…like he has been