Your plan to fix the WR position next year

I called for it before Decker got back on the field… :sunglasses:

Yup…maybe we can get a bigger inline TE that can block DEs alond and flex Hockenson into the slot…??

But…every game plan should be different. You do what you need to do to take advantage of your opponents weakness.

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

2 Likes

Out WR core is being underestimated??? This couldn’t be more wrong. I don’t know if there has ever been a worse position group…on any team…ever.

1 Like

He’s another small WR that nobody knew his name before yesterday.

nobody?

1 Like

He’s the only guy that made it from that show Undrafted. I’ve been following his career ever since.

Jakeem Grant seems to be a good comp for Kentuckt WR Wandale Robinson

Wouldnt mind signing Jakeem

However…I think Kalif Raymond would be a legit threat with a good qb and an OC that knows what they’re doing.

I really hope MCDC gets an OC with some new stuff. Motion, jet sweeps, counters, misdirection, etc…

Lions are running basic steak and potatoes offense. That’s fine. But some sprinkles would be nice.

One thing is clear…we need to make the OL elite to where when teams know we are running the ball we can still run the ball. That’s how you know yoire a good team.

You are taking the “nobody knew his name” comment too literal.

1 Like

The only place Fuller is a star is the training table.

That poor guy is snakebit, no doubt about it. I was reading about his finger the other day, can’t find the article right now, but they were saying there were so many breaks that it was almost shattered. Hate to see a guy that is held hostage by their own body.

Maybe… but he is a guy… like Cordarrelle… that I have always thought was too dynamic to NOT manufacture touches on offense.

However… the Dolphins and Bears had only got him 15 TOTAL carries and 2 targets per game in his 6 seasons.

The guy has 6 TDs on kick/punt returns in his career… on only 214 attempts.

How do they NOT figure out a way to get the ball in his hands more on jet sweeps, pop passes, reverses, WR screens, etc.??

For comparison… Tyreek Hill has 92 carries in his 6 seasons… and who knows how many “receptions” on pop passes.

Maybe he’s just not a very good WR. Some of the best return men in the history of the league didn’t do much else.

Just look at his production through 6 seasons. The nobody knew his name comment makes sense.

I get it though.

1 Like

Mel Gray, Dante Hall

1 Like

I totally agree… he is definitely NOT a complete WR.

@TCLion has a few good comps… Devin Hester comes to mind as well.

However… my point is about the opportunities to get the ball into the hands of players that are dynamic.
Touches can be manufactured… and should be for players with those abilities.

Prior to 2018… Cordarrelle Patterson was only used as a WR by the Vikings and Raiders… and had only 44 total carries. Those carries went for 454 yards and 6 TDs.
Belichick used him as a RB due to injuries, and I was actually surprised it took this long for him to get an expanded role.
The Falcons have been the 1st team to get him the ball over 100 times in a season… and he has over 1000 yards plus 10 TDs. What took these teams so long to figure it out? Put the ball in his hands… and good things happen.

Grant doesn’t have the size like Cordarelle… but it is absolutely mindboggling to me that he hasn’t had the ball in his hands more often.

So…just noticed Dazz Newsome is on the Bears PS.

Why wouldnt we sign him?

Is Holmes even trying to get better?

Nothing about his numbers leaps out. 5’ 10" 4.59 40, 7.29 3 cone. He’s been on and off their protected list, so he’s been available at times. By accounts, he’s quick out of his cuts and is a good route runner. I don’t know, maybe they are just trying to coach what they have and preparing for a major upheaval to clean house at the position after the season is over. 30 other teams have opted not to pluck him off the Bears ps either…

1 Like

Nagy saw the potential and pushed to sign him… and then forgot to give him the ball.

Most mock drafts I’ve seen have the Lions picking a receiver with the Rams’ pick. It’s normally one of Burks or London. I might be wrong (and usually am) but I can see both of those going earlier in the draft. I think that teams will just like their unusual physicality and hence their potential upside. With teams suspicious of the QB class, you can see a lot of teams wanting to upgrade at receiver. It’s effectively the same situation the Lions are in.

My inclination for the draft at least is to pick any of Wilson, Williams, Olave, London or Burks who are still available with the Rams pick. I see a bigger drop to the next best receiver than you’re likely to see from best available defensive player to next available defensive player. So if pick a defensive player with the Rams pick, you’re looking at a downgrade at receiver even 5 or so picks later at the top of the second. Conversely, if you pick a receiver with the Rams pick there’s likely to be very good defensive players available still at the top of the second.

I suppose the braver option is to go all in on defense to solidify the rebuild before going skill positions next year with a better infrastructure for them to thrive. I’d imagine that takes a lot of ‘buy in’ and goodwill though.

Every year in the draft there is a run on one position that is unexpected. I think WR is that position this year, so I think it’s critical the Lions sign a FA WR. If this happens it wouldn’t be the worst thing for the Lions to draft higher rated defensive players.