You're the Lions GM - Whose your pick at 3?

Teams fall in love for guys like Sam Donald, Trubisky, Daniel Jones.

Tua is above those guys and Herbert is at least on par with them. Miami, Chargers, and Raiders are all in play for a trade up.

5 Likes

This is why I believe free agency should be after the draft. In this scenario, I wouldn’t be opposed to taking Wills. However, In most cases, I will always be an advocate for taking the best player regardless of position. Tua is the best player and there would be no rush to play him. It would buy Quinn some time assuming this years team doesn’t perform really bad

2 Likes

Yetur Gross Matos DE.

Common sense says Tua. My heart says Brown.

100% agree. Take best player throughout the draft and fill needs through free agents.

1 Like

Free agency is after the draft and before it.

But wouldn’t make sense to not start free agency until after the draft?

Here is the thing, free agency allows you to fill your roster holes before the draft and then you draft and you can still sign free agents. I believe this is way better than holding off until after the draft. Those free agents are not uprooting families and worrying about settling in while they are aclimating in training camp. Just one opinion though. And, they still can be signed after the draft, so I guess I don’t get the point.

IMO Simmons would have the biggest impact this season so he would be my choice.

Simmons.

1 Like

At least one smart guy in this bunch. He is by far way better than Okudah against the pass, Simmons can play corner, safety, linebacker and edge rusher. So he fills more than one hole. He’s like four draft picks in one.

I mean Okudah couldn’t cover my grandmother and she’s been dead for thirty years. If it wasn’t for the fact he had the best defensive line ever seen and the defense never had to take the field because the offense was so good. And, well a perennial all-pro shutdown corner should never be drafted in the first round, it’s bad value and corners don’t get it until their contracts are up and you’re really just training him for his next team. If the sum of your football knowledge came from this board the opinion of Okudah is he’s undraftable, nobody will take Simmons unless they get three first round picks for moving down 2 spots.
Literally, just look at the drivel being offered up to prop up the choices these guys are fronting for while running down the players other people support.

4 Likes

Okaduh or Brown
The defensive player I really want is AJ Espensa

1 Like

Simmons

Simmons is a great player. I think he could have a big impact his rookie season for some team. I just have a hard time finding where he’ll play with the available spots we have.

Walker, (3rd rd. W.Harris), trade for Harmon- These guys are going to be playing. Does Simmons take snaps away from Harris? Devaluing last years 3rd round pick.

At linebacker, Tavai, Davis, FA Collins, and extended C.Jones look to be in the plans for Patricia. Who does Simmons replace when he takes snaps at LB?

Again, he’s a great talent. But the value for the Lions is greater, IMO, at other positions. Okudah has been a top 5 talent since coming out of High School. He was a top HS recruit, played significant snaps as a freshman @ OSU, top CB entering his draft class. Dude has passed every test for years.

You take the most dominant DT college football had ever seen (Suh), but not Brown. Maybe a trade down- not at #3.

Simmons is a top talent. Not arguing that. But where does he fit on the Lions current roster? And what players lose snaps (at S, LB, ?). You know where Okudah is playing and he’s not taking away snaps from any current player.

Side by side- I keep going back to Okudah. He’s the safe pick. He’s the Belichick pick. Simmons is the Millenesque pick. Athletic, flashy, headline maker, (see Boss Bailey, Roy Williams, Mike Williams).

Simmons is the “what could be” pick.

Okudah is the “I know what I’m getting” pick.

2 Likes

Really.
Our LB’ers suck.
Our CB’s suck and our safeties are avg, maybe. We have nobody who can rush the passer. 31st in the league. Simmons can do all those jobs.
And the people here think Quinn can’t evaluate players.

1 Like

Simmons is a physical freak, and could even play corner at Clemson. Newsflash… he can’t play corner in the NFL. He is a piece that you can move around a bit… but he doesn’t count as improving multiple positions. Basically in the NFL, he will have to play like Jamie Collins does. He’s not as big though, so I question how well he will hold up in a defense like ours. His ideal position is the Will in a system that he can focus mostly on pursuit and coverage. He probably won’t be able to take on blocks or hold the edge. If he is put in a system like that… he can become an elite player in the NFL… like a derrick brooks potential type player.

1 Like

Thanks, what team do you work for?

Fair enough. We have to player better across the board no doubt.

We have spent valuable resources on the LB and S position. At some point you have to get production from these players. Harris is going into is 2nd season. Give the kid a chance to learn and grow. Same with Tavai. Tracy Walker is a legit NFL safety. Kid can play. I don’t want to see him come off the field.

Let’s see what Jamie Collins brings to the table. He’s going to be playing the role of what Simmons would play. Covering, rushing. We have that player already on the roster.

“Simmons can do all those jobs” is fine to say. He may well be a good player. I tend to lean that way. But I don’t bet the house on any rookie entering the NFL. They are ALL unproven at this point.

1 Like

Urlacher was a safety in college…
Simmons puts on 12 lbs. he is 6’4" 250 lbs.
one inch taller than Collins, longer arms, .25 seconds faster in the 40, two inches shorter in the vertical. This kid has played safety and slot corner matching up against elite competition.
Urlacher made the jump, and Collins can provide support playing the will making calls for the rookie.

2 Likes

Great coaches find ways to get a player like Simmons on the field. Is he not better than Chris Jones? Patricia is a 1 dimensional coach. Belicheck would find a way for Simmons, no question about it

3 Likes