Zierlein's First Mock

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF

I was listening to the Ringer’s draft pod this morning and they actually took time out to discuss how sexual a lot of football terms are. It’s really ridiculous, but I guess that’s how it is when both fields talk about bodies a lot.

I can imagine walking up to someone on the street without context and saying I like a man’s bend and oily hips. The way he stays firm in the pocket with a tight motion and quick release. However, he can’t control it and sprays it everywhere.

Every time I see a draft “expert”, and there’s been too damn many, mock a TE to the Lions in the 1st round, I die a little inside.

It’s like they think Hockenson was some enormous loss, have no idea what role a TE has in this offense, and completely ignored that they have 3 young tight ends that caught a crazy amount of TDs down the stretch. I couldn’t bang my head any harder against a table right now.

1 Like

Sadly this is how i felt when i first started seeing mocks with us taking Hock. I mean… there is no way the Lions would burn a 1st on a TE again… right?

Not with this staff, no.

1 Like

Its crazy that we spent a 1st round pick on a TE…then 5 years later spent an even earlier 1st round pick on a TE…then 5 years later spent an even earlier 1st round pick on a TE.

1 Like

Haven’t read the whole thread, but…

Wait, what we take a TE with our own pick? If your going O, Bijan is still available, per this poopy mock.

2 Likes

Yeah to be fair to your point I was talking strictly LB’s which I didn’t clarify in my original post

LB’s that are these 3 things 6’4-6’5”, 240-250 LB’s, running 4.5

1 Like

Sounds like a Quintricia wet dream…

LOL

There must be stages like there are for grief, right?

I’m at the “anger” stage when I see that.

I think the “anger” stage is after the “I would sh*t” and before the “I would vomit” stages.

1 Like

What’s the stage where you shit in a box and mail it to yourself?

Rum 151

I know what you mean. Its the same with me.

And I really do like Mayer. I think there is no mistaking what sort of TE he is. He is a Y TE who is going to play for 10 years and be quite productive. He’s a bit of a plodder but he is crafty and has soft hands. I find him to be an easy evaluation. Like there is no doubt he’ll be a productive TE in the NFL.

With Hock he was never good enough blocking to be an inline Y TE and he wasn’t quite agile enough to be a dynamic F or Flex (or whatever they call it these days) TE either. Ebron didn’t have the hands to be a Flex and lets not talk about his blocking. Pettigrew as an okay Y I guess. Nothing worth a 1st rounder IMO.

So yeah, its quite a lot to stomach a pick at 18 wasted on a TE. I could see why maybe Campbell could get intrigued by a Y type in the 2nd or later because a good one offers you some flexibility in playcalling and disguising plays. But even then I’m not sure how much this regime values great TEs. I think they were fine rolling with the two they had last year after they traded Hock (Wright and Zylstra) plus they have James Mitchell who IMHO was drafted a couple rounds lower than he should have went because of injury. I would actually look for a little breakout from him next year. (And another reason last draft was totally awesome:)

You’re just gonna have to suffer it for awhile IMO. I think eventually the responses from Lions fans will make these guys see the light, but that won’t be for awhile.

The one I’m gonna have to suffer is seeing Bijan as the pick at 18 in roughly 50% of mock drafts all the way up until draft day. Why? Because we’re the one place they can mock him without the fanbase being up in arms about it. I don’t even bother saying anything about it anymore. I just saw one that had the Falcons take him at 8 and I thought their fans were gonna murder the guy who made it. Very few fans want their teams to draft Bijan, from what I can tell it’s pretty much us and the Ravens.

1 Like

James Mitchell PFF-graded better than Wright and Zylstra except in run blocking where he needs a lot of improvement–just like young Hock and old Hock. Hopefully Steve Heiden can work magic with Mitchell because run blocking is how Heiden survived during his playing days. If he can get that out of Mitchell:

Major League Baseball Sport GIF by MLB

1 Like

That’s in the “lions draft Richardson at 6” thread. That is my commitment to the den.

This is lazy analysis for the lions. They traded a TE so they must take another TE in the first??? The lions went 8-2 after trading Hock so maybe losing him wasn’t such a big problem.

1 Like

This play kinda sums up the Eric Ebron experience. He really was a physically gifted individual. But his hands were not consistent. His 40 time was faster than what was recorded at the combine. I swear by that. That year was a strange year where there was something “off” about the timer and some athletes got bogus times. I feel like Ebron was one of them. Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas is one of the fastest guys most people had seen on a field and had legit track timed speed…and he was timed at 4.5 that year. It didn’t impact everyone’s time negatively, but it certainly impacted some guys.

At any rate, here is the play your comment reminded me of. Ebron is split out wide vs a legit NFL corner (Leodis McKelvin). This isn’t a case where we caught them off guard and they had a walked out linebacker on him. Or a case where he simply outsized and outmuscled a smaller guy. Ebron beats him with relative ease with athleticism…THEN DROPS THE BALL!

1 Like