Here we are

As I sit here on my bed in my dorm about to go to sleep, I wanted to post to get some thoughts off of my head before tomorrow morning. We stand here at the gates of destiny, where tomorrow, we will learn if fate has decided if we are worthy…or not.

Throughout most of this season and especially the playoff run, I had made a few comments about how our accomplishments hadn’t really set in for me. I knew what we were doing was amazing, but really, it all felt like one game after another. Nothing super special or out of the ordinary…other than of course, you know, the winning.

Not sure what prompted this, but tonight as I sat in the student section watching the Alabama-LSU basketball game (Roll Tide and ■■■■ LSU by the way), it hit me.

We play for a trip to the Super Bowl tomorrow.

The Super Bowl.

And we can be in it.

Like we actually can win this game tomorrow.

We stand at the gates of destiny having accomplished SO much over the past year and a half. We won TWO freaking playoff games IN THE SAME SEASON. We won our freaking divison. We got the hats and shirts everyone else always seems to wear. And we actually won a playoff game for the first time in 32 years…and did so by beating the best quarterback we’ve ever seen in a Lions uniform.

I’m predicting a loss tomorrow because I think that we’ve already had our moments this season. We have had too many awesome things happen for us to look back on. There’s just no way we can get one more this year…right?

But…we can do this tomorrow. There’s a very realistic scenario where I’m buying stuff tomorrow night that says “Detroit Lions 2023 NFC Champions” and “Super Bowl 58 Detroit Lions”.

And while it’s realistic, it’s also SO surreal.

We’re actually here.

All the days we’ve spent more years than we can count dreaming of…we’re finally living.

Every second that you have spent as a fan dreaming of this opportunity is all leading up to this game tomorrow.

One. Game.

60 minutes.

They’re trapped inside those white lines with us and they can’t go anywhere.

After all the waiting…after all of the heartache…after all of the patience…after all of the losing…after all of the days where we didn’t think we’d ever be…

We’re. Finally. Here.

LET’S. GO.

15 Likes

This team is ready. Battle tested and 6-3 on the road (should be 7-2). I think they pull off the win. So pump

6 Likes

I worry you’re not making the most of your college experience if you’re alone in your dorm talking to a bunch of old dudes over the internet on a Saturday night.

10 Likes

Wizard Of Oz GIF

2 Likes

It’s very surreal. I had to ask myself if I’m alive or dead or in some kind of Matrix. I’m taking that dam Blue Pill fosho…

The Matrix Choice GIF

1 Like

I had no idea you were that young.

2 Likes

Been there. Not everything is fixed with a pill.

Wrong pill. :rofl:

Context is everything. I used to smash and then while she was sleeping get on the computer to talk football! (and car audio)

We are winning this shit!! Today!! Time to make the list of teams who never made the super bowl go down to 3.

2 Likes

Lock. The. Gates.

1 Like

Don’t be. The only reason I had the time last night was because a couple of our buddies from high school are in town and we finished what we were doing at like 10. They have to get back early today.

@HSVLion , WOW!

What a beautiful, and heartfelt post my friend.

It’s going to be an emotional day for all of us.

This is what team loyalty is about. Our loyalty is about to PAYOFF!

Our Lions ARE going to punch a ticket to the Super Bowl today.

:heart: all you guys and gals in here. It’s going to be EPIC.

And yes sir…GO Lions!

3 Likes

Great post. My only contribution to the thread is to suggest the accomplishments of this team are truly their own. Fate is in their hands. They control their own destiny.

I’ve tried to utilize my Freshman year regrets for good but alas …

I enjoyed your entire post @HSVLion, :beers:but I do have to ask, are you the only 60 year old in the dorm? :innocent:

1 Like

Great post. Keep writing as much as you can, you have a good ear for it.

2 Likes

I wish I was in my dorm room the night before the last time the Lions were in the NFCCG…instead I got pulled over for a DUI in Scottsdale driving back to my dorm in Tempe after a party, sat in a drunk tank for 36 hours, and missed the game. I’ma make sure that aint happenin this time around…on multiple fronts.

3 Likes

Today seems like a good day to go to the Super Bowl :sunglasses:

Been a fan essentially since Barry came into the league, I watched the Lions prior to that (mid 80s) but I was way too young to really know much so it’s been a lot of years of decent teams that had no real shot at a SB (only a handful in those 35 years), some mediocre sprinkled in and lots of really bad years with only shots at #1 picks.

Everything about this team starting from 8-2 to close last season to this magical carpet ride this season has been surreal from the ownership, to the staff we have in place to the way these players execute and the love they have for each other to winning games in places they never won before (never seen a Lions team this good on the road) to playoff wins and now a chance to play for the opportunity to win a Superbowl.

We’ll get to a point where this is the norm and runs like this will be expected of the team annually so we’ll look back at this season and realize how utterly enjoyable this ride was so I think we should all just take a breath and be in the moment because it’s truly special this feeling we’re all experiencing especially considering how hopeless this franchise looked just 2 short years ago and the previous 60+ years to be quite frank.