Why the Lions will win

I go back and forth on this game. It’s absolutely the matchup several weeks ago I said I did not want, yet here we are.

And yet these last couple of days, I feel more at ease. LaPorta’s Deadpool impression is helpful, for sure, but he’s not necessarily the reason for my burgeoning optimism.

My 4 reasons below …

4 —Run defense: make the Rams one dimensional and they’re no different from any other team. Matt’s heroics in McVay’s offense are only enabled with a running game. If Kyren Williams is limited, the Rams offense stalls. I’m not convinced they’ve met a run defense like ours. Force Matt to do it on his own and he’ll make mistakes.

3—Secondary: what had been our Achilles heel could make this a challenge for LA. Our safety combinations are among the best in the league, and CJGJ knocked off the rust last game and Iffy is a man possessed. And don’t sleep on Kerby and Branch. What an awesome four players in the secondary alongside a veteran corner in Sutton. I think these guys rise to the occasion. They’ve been battling Jefferson, Addison, and Lamb the last few weeks. They’re battle tested for Kupp and Puka. But most importantly?

2—They can get after Stafford. It’s been well documented how the Rams struggle with exotic defensive looks, especially blitzes from unlikely places. Branch, Iffy, and CJ will all give Matt looks, and the line will stunt. They’ll get home. This Lions defense plays similar to Demeco’s 49ers in this way, and it’s why they’ve been successful lately, and that bodes poorly for Matt if you watched him play the 49ers defense the last two years.

1—QB play. Didn’t see that coming, did you? Matt is a warrior. A gamer. Dude can sling it through any window with cheddar. But … while he doesn’t get rattled, he overcompensates. Routinely. It’s in his DNA. Sometimes, it results in a heroic play. More often it’s his deathknel. It can’t be coached out of him because it’s what makes him great — and what drives fans nuts. You know who doesn’t do that? Goff. Jared is not perfect. He will make a typical QB mistake but rarely is it backbreaking. More often, like against GB, it’s just a bad bounce.

In a game taking place in a city and stadium and friends loaded with memories, Matt is in a position where trying to do too much might be irresistible. And depending on my earlier points, inevitable,

But Jared? His heart rate doesn’t fluctuate. He’s as cool as the other side of the pillow. He already went up against McVay two years ago. It’s just a dude on the other sideline now.

Given what I know about both players, Goff is the QB I’d want in a game that features both of these quarterbacks. And it’s not close.

7 Likes

I believe that we will win. My reasoning is because…I believe that we will win.

5 Likes

Good post.

The one dude I’m concerned about is Aaron Donald. Yes he’s getting older but he can wreck games all by himself in a hurry. We have a good oline but that’s the guy who could cause problems because Goff can’t really move. Gotta get him blocked and know where he is at all times

3 Likes

Your reasoning is just as valid as anyone who gives more granular reasons for their predicted outcome. Tipped balls, weird bounces, and refs are among the many things that can flip a game that should arguably be close.

I can’t be confident of any outcome until I hear @stephenboyd57 's report on uniform colors…

4 Likes

You know, it seems like “it’s not close” scares the crap outta me

Agree though, to quote Kurt Russell in the movie “Miracle”

“This is your time…their time is done, it’s over”

And that’s how this is going to play out, no way these Lions lose this game.

Haha @HSVLion always has the uniform scoops.
Gotta be the blueberries though right??

1 Like

It is our time
We are due
We are built for this

4 Likes

Blueberries have been confirmed

Grinch Smile GIF

2 Likes

I like your point about Staffords emotions getting the better of him. I think between the two Goff is more stoic and less shaken by things.

2 Likes

I get you youngsters mixed up sometime. Most everyone is a youngster to me. And I get mixed up sometimes.

Anyway, now I’ll mull the ramifications of blueberries, hold a seance with the spirit world, and produce a stone cold pick for Sunday…

Just in case there was any confusion, the blueberries are confirmed.

The Lions will win because Ben will finally stop calling shotgun draws to Gibby 8 yds behind the LOS on every 3rd/4th and short.

1 Like

A lot of Kool aid in that wright up.

Glad you feel warm a cozy with our secondary, and it could get a boost with them players you mentioned , but Matt will Probably eat Valdor lunch and dinner.

And If our Gs don’t hold up against Turner and Donald it might be Goff that struggles. I think we win in a close one, because I think over all were a little better as a team. And these guys have a lot to prove and a bit of a chip on there shoulder.

There 7-1 only lose was to the team that exposed us and took our lunch money. They played them tuff.

We were 5-3 and struggling on offense and defense at times. This team has been the tail of 2 story’s on both sides of the ball depends witch one shows up. Last outing we seem to be tredding in the right direction to back to were we were early in the season.

This is also the game I really didn’t wanna see, but like you said here we are.

1 Like

Bill Parcells the difference between winners and losers

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, and Dan Campbell fell from Bill Parcells tree.

Dan has built a large group here in Detroit, all focused on one goal…winning. That is the ‘hidden’ ingredient to this winning recipe.

It’s why I think we win on Sunday, and why I believe we have a chance to win against any opponent put in front of us. We all believe in each other, we believe in our leaders, and we collectively believe in one common goal.

1 Like

I’m really hoping we see Houston for 10-20plays in this game and they don’t get cute with him like the beginning of this season. Line him up opposite Hutch, see QB, HIT QB, then hit him again. McNeil and Commish in the middle with Hutch and Houston on the edges.

Branch, Iffy and duce give the secondary a lift.

I intentionally didn’t mention Houston because although I can’t imagine he DOESN’T play, there’s enough doubt that people might question one of my points. Add Houston to the mix, and point 2 becomes even more certain.

They just need to accept him for what he is. If you wanna try and expand that during the preseason, fine, but never take away his flamethrowing reps and don’t put him in bad positions. Just load him up in the cannon and shoot him at the QB.

1 Like

When I saw the headline, my brain immediately said, “Goff”.
Goff was a part of McVays Rams.
Stafford was never a part of Sheila’s BNL.
The Rams didn’t blow us out when we were at our worst, two years ago.
It will likely be less than a 3 point win, but, we will win.