12 players projected to make the Lions practice squad

No, I said…“It’s not.”

I think you are misunderstanding the definition of ceiling. Ceiling isnt how good a player is, ceiling is how good a player can be if everything works out perfectly. Iffy might suck but he still had a high ceiling. He just never achieved thst ceiling.

Sharper wasn’t a speedster and, in fact, his numbers weren’t that far off from Joseph. But what Sharper had to make up for it was explosion–a trait Joseph clearly lacks.

Darren Sharper RAS.

1 Like

I have no idea after reading my comments how you would think this applies to me.

1 Like

Don’t know why, but I thought of this:

He was good in the Big 10 but was absolutely aweful at Notre Dame. He was allergic to tackling.

But with ceiling we are saying that the person with athleticism can LEARN to be great route runners, while the great route runners are highly unlikely to increase their athleticism dramatically. Ceiling does favor athleticism for this reason.

I like it. Why didn’t I think of that?

So what? What does that have to do with anything I have said? I simply remarked that certain positions I have found where RAS has less correlation to success than other positions.

1 Like

And Joseph has plenty of chance of making it to the practice squad.

Saying a guy has a high ceiling because he scores good in Gym Shorts is not the definition of ceiling.

If a guy has character concerns, if he keeps cool and out of trouble … High Ceiling.

If a Manning/Bosa/Watt is coming out with those bloodlines… High Ceiling

If a guy like Branch can play fast on the field… High Ceiling.

If a guy like Richard Sherman or this year Darius Rush recently converted positions…High Ceiling

A guy like Ziggy Ansah hasn’t played much football … HIgh Ceiling

This RAS score = high ceiling is a silly misconception.

And saying a guy has a super duper high ceiling but will never reach it. That just doesn’t make sense.

Meaning “it’s not a controversial opinion”?

1 Like

That is literally the definition of high ceiling. If the guy gets it mentally, learns the system, gets the instincts down, stays out of trouble and stays healthy… his ceiling is determined by his athletic ability.

And I’m going to say that thinking athletic ability is high ceiling is one of the greatest misconceptions around.

Iffy for example:
Yes he test super high, but he is soft. Doesn’t like football. Has no instincts. His brother sucked.

But he could be the greatest safety ever if he just figures out how to be good at football.

His ceiling is SOO high, he will never reach it though.

LMAO c’mon…that’s obviously not his ceiling then.

You pretty much summed up Iffy.

1 Like

Yes it is. If he ever figures it all out, he could be great. Thats why they drafted him. It appears he will never hit that ceiling, something i predicted based on his brother, so hopefully we move on.

1 Like

I’m projecting the following to the PS:

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-waive-dylan-drummond

Lack of any contributions on STs undoubtedly did him in .

Branch RAS 6.10
Martin RAS 8.78
Brown RAS 9.67
J Brown RAS 5.97
Battle RAS 5.90
Conner RAS 9.16
Ward RAS 6.70
Robinson RAS 5.97
Howden RAS 8.8
Scott RAS 9.8
Johnson RAS 4.78
Smith RAS 2.93
Skinner…lack of measurements
Reed RAS 7.16
Hallett RAS 7.40
Taylor RAS 8.93
Johnson RAS 8.13

These were the safeties taken in last years draft. As a group not many high scores and IMO RAS gets trumped by other factors. Ability to diagnose a play, tackling, etc, this is what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Here’s another historical example that reinforces your point (one of my favorite DBs of all-time):

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.