2005 NFL draft flashback

Millen and Mayhew locked in on Mike Williams when it was time to turn in the Lions pick.

No interest in the available Aaron Rodgers, because they were very comfortable with an aged Jeff Garcia.

Let that sink in. Jeff effing Garcia.

We stuck with Millen and Mayhew for 14+ years.

I thought the way the story went they didn’t do alot of homework on BMW because they didn’t expect him to be there. Then when he was there they threw out all of their draft prep and took him.

2 Likes

Sounds about right.

Makes me wanna throw out all of my draft prep and kick their ass.

1 Like

It wasn’t Jeff Garcia that was the issue. It was Harrington and his contract. The Lions had already paid Harrington and were determined to make that failed experiment work, and were not about to draft another 1st round QB to add to the problems.

The real issue was passing on Demarcus Ware. That was a huge miss. I remember wanting Derrick Thomas who was good, but he was no Demarcus Ware.

2 Likes

From what I recall the Lions actually called Ware and told him they were going to pick him. But then MW was there they all ‘looked at eachother in astonishment’ that he was available and picked him

And Millens boy who was a big Ware fan kicked him in the balls. He was the unsung hero to us all at that moment

Now now, let’s not let moonball off the hook here

you mean chewy?

don’t forget brees wanted to come to detroit when he was a FA but we said no to that too.

Brees wanted to sign with the highest bidder, whomever that was.

that was after Mooch said no to Warner because he wanted his own noodle arm

But hey, we got to watch the Kitna and MacTonight show

I think the moral of the story is, if you don’t have a QB, strongly consider taking a QB.

Bonus if there is one with a strong, accurate arm, and can get through a progression.

1 Like

ah ok, thank you for clearing that up. although I still would’ve taken him but we were probably cap tight because…we always seem to be :slight_smile:

In all fairness, Millen and Mayhew draft prep should generally be thrown out.

1 Like

I thought it was Derrick Johnson…I wanted him worse than I wanted Ware

I am stupid, I meant to say Derrick Johnson. At one point in time, Derrick Thomas would’ve been available, but we passed on him to take Barry. I am good with that one though. :wink: