2021's "Top Ten" WRs (projected)

Schroeder was a 6th Rd pick
Driver was a 7th Rd pick
Sharpe was No. 7 overall

None of them fit the theme

I had mentioned this as part of my supporting argument while lobbying for Parsons.

I like Hardman, but also think scheme fit has been a huge factor in his success.

a good QB and a scheme that works for both

Guess I should have finished reading.

1 Like

Moss worked out for the Vikes.

2 Likes

Moss had “problems” that were overblown.

3 Likes

I think Rogers problems were manageable had he never broken his collarbone the first time. And I thought he looked great against the Cardinals. Boldin’s record setting day overshadowed how much promise CRog showed that day.

True, but he should’ve went No. 20 overall, not No. 21.

History has proven otherwise.

Character risks will always be a problem. Reuben Foster and Derrius Guice being two recent examples of guys who were highly regarded, were drafted high, and didn’t pan out.

1 Like

Not necessarily. History tells us what happened under the given circumstances that unfolded. We don’t know what sort of “sliding door effect.”

I agree that in hindsight it was an awful miss but at the time Rogers was an out of this world WR prospect.

I can’t “prove it” because the original version of the Den and its’ archives were long dead and gone, but I must’ve been one of the few who wanted no part of Charles Rogers and my reasons were two-fold:

(1) The diluted (aka failed) drug test (after the Reggie Rogers disaster, I had, and to this day still don’t, have any interest in character risks); and

(2) As in most years, I wanted a defensive player, specifically, Terrell Suggs, because he had 24 sacks. I remember Millen talking about him as a possible No. 2 overall pick, but that was before the 4.84 40. I still wanted Suggs based upon his elite production.

I remember thinking WR Andre Johnson made more sense in the WCO given the similarity to Terrell Owens, but I think that was a post-draft feeling.

Here is what I noticed right away…
I added the 40 times for each of them.
Only 2 guys ran faster than 4.43 in the 40.

Also… DK Metcalf is the only one of them that is 6’3" or taller (Mike Thomas is 74.75").

The list certainly militates against taking a WR in the top 10-15 players and, to a lesser extent, in Round 1 (although there are obvious exceptions).

Well said.

Season 3 Episode 304 GIF by Rick and Morty

I have said for long time every draft you take WR in rd 3 or later an same idea for a CB example rd 3 wr rd 4 CB next draft wr 4rd CB rd 3

I just added them to show how successful Green Bay has been at WR and how they’ve gotten them all over the draft.

I wanted Andre Johnson all the way, he had the NFL body, speed, production, no red flags.
Despite having a world of talent, Rogers was a skinny pothead. And typically, I don’t like in-state players, especially if they have red flags, it means they are running with the wrong crowd and keeping them in-state just makes it too easy to keep running with their old gang. Not to mention that everyone knew Smoker was a coke-head, I figured Charles was too.

If we could go back and see that old den you’d see that I wanted nothing to do with Crog either.
I’m not going to say I wanted Suggs though after his 40 time.
I liked Andre and Terrance Newman for us and that was about it. I missed on Kevin Williams but I liked Jordan Gross but we just took Backus.

1 Like

With the old Den gone I have decided that I also wanted the good players and didn’t want the bad players.

1 Like

I was here in the old Den and there were plenty of people worried about Charles. Many of us wanted the bigger and still amazing Andre Johnson over Charles. I am with Snags as I like guys more who went to college away from home and learned to live without home cookin’ although that isn’t a fast rule. LeBron James did pretty well in Cleveland for example!

This forum can be pretty conservative at times related to guys they want in football. I wet round and round years back with ManeLion about CB Janoris Jenkins. I didn’t see him as a major character concern guy esp. with where he might have been picked and I thought the guy was incredibly fluid and I wanted him. That was 2012. We took Reiff which overall I was fine with (2nd tackle off the board) but Jenkins would have been a better pick. I also went toe-to-toe with some folks over Jimmy Smith who has had a pretty good career outside injuries. That was 2011. It is all about risk V. reward. For example Millen did a GREAT job with risk V reward when he drafted Shaun Rodgers all those years ago.

Charles had work ethic concerns that were more concerning that the pot stuff to me. The risk factor just wasn’t balanced enough to Charles way back in 2003. Andre SHOULD have been the pick.

Millen veered off course right out of the gate though all the way back in 2001. We had Charlie Batch but Charlie had proven to be a game manager at that point and Drew was the guy. I remember wanting guard Steve Hutchinson OR Drew Brees. Steve was a Hall of Fame guy waiting to happen to me. Drew was a QB I loved but he was short so the Lions should have known Drew had a chance to fall that far. Backus was a really solid pick but Drew’s concerns were balanced at that point and Drew SHOULD have been Millen’s first pick.

In 2002 Joey would not have been necessary and the Lions either drafty OT bust Mike Williams OR Pro Bowl player Bryant McKinnie (7tgh overall). Mike Williams was a right tackle so I think Millen would have taken the left tackle over Mike Williams. Mike protected a left handed QB but still, taking Mike Williams over Bryant was a reach to me at that point. Don’t draft a guy that high to play LOT when he was a ROT…that is different than Sewell who is a LOT going to the ROT side. That is an easier move than right to left.

1 Like

So you’re saying you’d want to make a switch…

Butterfly effect. Hard to say.

Let’s say the Lions traded down with Tampa Bay to No. 4 overall (so they could pick Calvin Johnson), and received TB’s 2d Rd pick, No. 35 overall.

You still have Millen doing the picking. You still have Marinelli as HC.

That was the draft where Millen passed on LB David Harris for Drew Stanton and then took Alama-Francis and Alexander–all three 2d Rd busts.

Maybe instead of trading down, the Lions take LB Posluzny and WR Sidney Rice.

With Peterson, Rice, and Poz, is the team better? Somewhat, I suppose.

But looking back, except at the very top, the 2007 draft was pretty crappy.

1 Like