2022 Top 100 Free Agents

Never say never because of the Pleasant and Holmes connection, but with the stable of CB’s we have I don’t see them spending up for him. Even last year, Troy Hill signed with Cleveland for a modest deal and we didn’t appear to have much interest.

Darius Williams is much, much better than Troy Hill though

1 Like

I think Jewell is solid, but is he that much of an upgrade over Anzalone? I would rather target someone like Jayron Brown who has been a very good coverage linebacker throughout his time in Tennessee.

Couple guys I would keep my eyes on as guys who will be relatively cheap at LB’er and would be interesting fits.

Ju’Whaun Bentley
Anthony Walker

Bentley would be more your tradional downhill LB’er who works best as an early down thumper. Anthony is best in coverage, but is decent against the run as well.

Just throwing this one out there, Jarad Davis. The guy is EXACTLY the type of player Campbell loves with a very strong work ethic and a passion for football. Even when he got hired last year, he specifically mentioned Davis and Vatai as players that intrigued him. Obviously we didn’t have the money, or didn’t value him high enough to give him the 1 year 5.5mil deal he got. He has struggled with injuries and effectiveness with New York this year.

Maybe kick the tires for near the vet minimum and see if this guys can make something of him? I know that is a little outside the box, but I could see it happening.

I agree, but he will also cost much more. My guess is 10-12mil per year. Not sure we would spend that much on a CB, especially with us needing to extend Amani.

I wouldn’t target any CB’s in FA and probably not in the draft unless they are sure injured players aren’t going to be able to come back. AJ Parker played well, Jerry Jacobs played well, Melifonwu looked good, Amani Oruwariye played great, they may like Harris as the slot CB and of course Okudah will be back with some really great coaches. It might be our best group.

1 Like

Has Detroit ever been a more attractive place to play for a Free Agent? Even though we only won 3 games? Comparing to the past couple decades I would say yes.

Let’s hope that gone are the days of nobody wanting to come to Detroit, or us settling for the 2nd or 3rd best FA.

Players are going to want to come play for DC

Overall PFF grade for Brown in 2021 is 47.1, pass. Walker ranks about the same as Jewell, Bentley is slightly lower. Davis? If after this season they’re still hi on him and he’s cheap, I guess.

The year-over-year change in the CB room means that while it might not be a glaring need right now, it will be soon. It’s just a very volatile position group that requires so many bodies. Personally I’d look at CBs every single year, almost regardless of what my room looked like. The Bucs and Packers do it and it’s good strategy in today’s NFL.

I think adding an older vet makes a lot of sense for the growth of this team, even if he’ll be on his way out in a couple of years.

Having the established guy who chose to come to Detroit as a locker room influence and mentor would be a good thing, not to mention the fact that I’m assuming he can still ball (is that a good assumption?). Additionally, historically at least, vet WRs on the downside of their career have come relatively cheap compared to other options.

and Troy Hill is 30yo…

I know he’s small but I think Williams is probably a top 25 CB. Really quick and sticky with the sort of timing at the catch point to make up for his size limitations.

In theory I agree, but we tried to do that this year with Brockers, Josh Hill, Fells, Tyrell Williams to varying degrees of success. It doesn’t always work out like you hope. Ideally our coaches are the locker room influences and mentors.

Jaylon Smith LB

What happed to this guy?

He was released by Dallas, picked up by the Packers and played only 27 snaps before they released him. Ends up in New York to phizzle out the season. He had a few good years to start his career and it’s been down hill ever since.

Charles Harris 2.0

J.Smith’s value is at an All-Time low. He would cost pennies on a 1 year deal.

What if Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn could re-light that flame? I couldn’t find any injury information for 2021. Is it the knee? He seems to have just lost his way in the NFL world.

Let’s add in a dynamic pass rusher to our Defense (#2 overall)…

…How much better do Oruwariye, Okudah, Melifanwu, Jacobs, Parker all look?

We can throw in a veteran presence at Safety (Marcus Williams?) to pair with Tracy Walker, and all of a sudden that Cornerback play sees a little improvement.

We have some talent in that Cornerback room, and we’re probably gonna add some more to it this off-season.

1 Like

If you want to use PFF, Jayon Brown had grades of 73 or above in pass coverage the previous three years. All three years would rank inside the top 10 in linebacker coverage grades this season. His grade of 84.6 in 2018 would rank 1st this year. One down season does not make a career, and if anything it would make him a more cost effective option. Walker was a guy I thought showed a lot of promise with the Colts, but he has been pretty average. Bentley would just bring a different skillset from the LB’ers we currently have.

I like Jewell as I think he makes for a solid all around LB’er. I just think this staff would like to bring back Anzalone and if they do Jewell would be a little redundant.

I’ve said this before, but I think there is a lot of value in adding a vet CB this off-season. Will add insurance in case Okudah struggles in his return and hopefully create the Rashean Mathis affect. Pleasant and Glenn are great coaches, but it helps to have a vet around to help some of these young CB’s along.

1 Like

Would anybody be opposed to someone like Patrick Peterson? He was one of the best CB’s in the NFL for over half a decade. His play has dropped off a lot from that, but he was a adequate starter for Minnesotta. I wouldn’t mind throwing a 1 year 5mil deal at him and maybe cross train him at safety. I think he could really help in the development of some of these younger players while still offering some value on the field.

Smith wouldn’t have even got him if it was “2 hand touch” rules.
Looked like he can’t run anymore.

1 Like

I just see adding a CB this year as a luxury pick, because we need depth all over the place. While I understand that some very good teams draft 1 every year, we aren’t there yet. Even if Okudah doesn’t play a down we’re way better off at CB than WR, TE, backup QB, DL, LB, Safety and possibly OL.

1 Like

I agree with not drafting a guy. We already have three rookies who showed a lot of promise going into year 2, Okudah going into year 3, and Amani going into year 4. After this year these five guys have a combined 8 years of NFL experience. I don’t want to add another high round rookie to that mix. Like I mentioned above, give me a solid vet if anything.