3. Torkelson 1b
  4. Carpenter rf
  5. Baez SS
  6. Rogers C
  7. Vierling 3b
  8. Keith 2b
  9. Meadows cf

Ugly lineup

I think it is an interesting lineup with some growth potential.
Need to see if they can at least come out of the gate at .500 unlike the last few years.
As the articles posted elsewhere stated, this is why they signed the pitchers they did.

Been a while since I have looked forward to a Tiger’s team and I’m looking forward to this one. We saw a few guys take a step forward last season if they can take another step this year …be fun to watch. AL Central isn’t that strong.

4 Likes

I don’t follow the Tigers too closely. They are my 2nd favorite team after the Jays for sure.

But in the AL Central… shit play .500 ball and you got a shot. Add a piece or 2 at the trading deadline potentially.

I like the Tigers chances to win the Central better than my Jays to win the AL East.

I think Cleveland wins it. Tigers big splashes were two SP with era over 4. I see them (tigers) winning 78 Cleveland winning 80. Ugly baseball

Possible… check out these standings from last year.

1 Like

I think the Tigers are in that 82-86 win territory.

I think the underlying numbers of the two FA SP they signed will be better than last year’s ERA showed, hoping for same growth as the FA pitcher they traded at the deadline last season; Mike???, think they traded him to Philly.

Skubal healthy to start the season will be big.
Olson, flash in the pan or did they really help him develop?
Manning and Mize wild cards.
Like some of the bullpen.

1 Like

They are 2 horses away from it on offense, for sure. Buuut, in 25 that could be

Greene LF
Jung 3B
Tork 1B
Carpenter RF
Keith 2B
Noelvi Marte’ SS ( trade w Reds- Mize and Madden or Melton)
JHM DH
Rogers C
Meadows CF with Clark in 26 maybe.

Fried or Buelher ( FA)
Scooby
Manning
Jobe
Maeda

I like that path. The Marte’ trade may need to be tweaked, but Cinci loves big arms and they jave a bajillion SS eligible top end guys

2 Likes

That kind of lineup.isn’t top 5 talent, but it puts a lot of stress on a pitcher top to bottom every pitch

2 Likes

Tigers sign Bobby Lee.

Risk-reward: Tigers going all in on Parker Meadows

Of all the X-factors the Tigers will be carrying into the season — Javier Baéz, the third-base situation, rookie Colt Keith at second base, a trio of starting pitchers who may face innings restrictions — Meadows almost gets overlooked.

And he’s as much a wild card as any of the others.

The Tigers have essentially given him the center-field job on the basis of 37 games and 145 plate appearances late last season. Granted, he more than earned it defensively, being worth four outs above average, three defensive runs saved and ranking in the top-10 percentile in sprint speed.

“Defensively, we take him for granted, a little bit,” manager AJ Hinch said. “It’s so graceful; it’s so dynamic. His speed is so much fun to watch. It’s very easy to enjoy the parts of the game that come easy to him.”

…His defense is absolutely good enough to keep him in the big leagues. The jury remains out on whether his offense will warrant everyday status.

“He’s altered his swing and his approach to be a more well-rounded hitter,” Hinch said. “He can easily settle in as an impactful player with his base-running and as an outfielder and make a nice career for himself. But the way he impacts this team the most is to do it all well.”

It wasn’t like Meadows was overwhelmed in the small sample last year. He showed good plate discipline (11.7% walk rate, .331 on-base average) and hit three home runs, including a walk-off game-winner. But he struggled against breaking balls (.208, 32.7% whiff rate) — though he launched two hangers for homers — and offspeed pitches (37% whiff rate).

“There’s adjustments to be made,” Meadows said. “Just like mini-tweaks. I’ve been working a little bit on mechanics. I had a little leak in my hips (opening up too soon), so I’ve been working on staying back a little more.”

While the Tigers love the idea of being able to play Meadows in center and keep Riley Greene on one of the corners to limit some of the wear and tear on his body, Meadows isn’t taking any of it for granted.

“My mindset is that there is no spot that’s earned yet,” he said. “I still have to earn a spot. I still have to work hard and continue to do what I’m doing. I’m excited to be here with all the guys and ready to get back to work.”

That is actually a hell of the signing for stupid cheap and make sure we’re not playing career quality guys like Andy imanas and Zach mckinstry too much plus gives us insurance for Baez short. Yeah I like that a whole lot

1 Like

I love it. Good average hitter

If you look for a stream east you may find a live feed of the Tigers grapefruit opener.

Detroit Tigers are finally playing 2024 games: 10 reasons why they might be fun to watch
1. A great signing Gia Signing, Harris waiting to asking price came down
2. Improved defense Touches on the Gia signing and benefits it brings
3. Vierling goes big Gia signing allows Vierling to be safety net in CF
4.The Javy thing Yea, hope springs eternal…Bonderman has a changeup now as well.
5. The ace Skubal
6. A thought on Carpenter Can he improve in the field?
7. A thought on the kids Max Clark, McGonigle
8. A thought on Keith Keith won’t have pressure due to Gia and the Tork history.
9. Jace Jung Gia impact frees up Jace in some ways.
10. See next post

1 Like

And the below echoe’s many of my thoughts on this team. They will be fun to watch and grow.

10. The big, big prediction

What is this team?

There are times when I look at this roster — featuring a strong group of pitchers and an improved defense and the potential for an improved offense — and I convince myself that this team is going to be interesting all summer.

Then I think about how many youngsters are in key roles, and I remember that Spencer Torkelson and Riley Greene are still relatively young, and I remember that development is never in a straight line and I think: Man, if they all go cold at the same time, this team is gonna be brutal to watch.

Then, I see Meadows yank a homer in live bullpens, and I remember how Keith responded to pressure in the minors and I settle on the positive side: I really think this team is gonna win more than it loses.

I think these youngsters are going to develop. I love the vibe on this team. The pitching and defense are going to be solid. And if these Tigers can just improve a little at the plate, it’s going to be a fun, exciting summer.

2 Likes

https://x.com/tigers/status/1761466535263043662?s=20

Getting mulled. Oh well only spring training

https://x.com/cmccosky/status/1761503534447542469?s=20

Wow

Season 3 No GIF by The Lonely Island

i wonder what the average age is of all four detroit franchises. we’re near the youngest team in baseball, football and hoops, not sure about hockey since we brought some vets in.

1 Like