2024 Detroit Tigers

I have been waiting for someone to bump the other Tiger thread as the three posts in the row rule always gets me there. Perhaps it’s time to start a new one.
Latest on several Tiger prospects going into this season.

The Detroit Tigers have four prospects on Baseball America’s preseason top 100 rankings, released Wednesday.

The four prospects on the list as the 2024 season approaches: outfielder Max Clark (No. 19), right-hander Jackson Jobe (No. 20), infielder Colt Keith (No. 28) and infielder Jace Jung (No. 81).

On Clark, Baseball America reports: “Clark has been one of the best high school hitters at draft showcases for several years. He should be a plus defender in center field to go with an ability to hit for average and get on base. If his power also develops as hoped, he could be a star.”

Jobe, the third-ranked pitcher behind Skenes (No. 9) and Andrew Painter (No. 12), didn’t pitch until mid-June after suffering lumbar spine discomfort in spring training. The Tigers, under former general manager Al Avila, drafted him out of Heritage Hall High School in Oklahoma with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2021 draft.

The 21-year-old recovered from the back injury and posted a 2.81 ERA with six walks and 84 strikeouts over 64 innings in 16 starts last season. He made one start in Double-A Erie before making four additional starts in the Arizona Fall League, where he logged 2.87 ERA with five walks and 19 strikeouts over 15⅔ innings.

On Jobe, Baseball American reports: “Jobe missed the first half of the 2023 season with a back injury, but once he returned, he was every bit as dominant as the Tigers had hoped for when they picked him third overall in 2021. Jobe has multiple ways to get hitters out, as well as some of the best pure stuff in the minors.”

https://x.com/MiLB/status/1703545040000221219?s=20

Keith, a fifth-round pick in the 2020 draft out of Biloxi High School in Mississippi, is on the verge of making his MLB debut. He hit .306 with 27 home runs, 60 walks and 121 strikeouts across 126 games last season in Double-A Erie (59 games) and Triple-A Toledo (67 games).

The 22-year-old projects as the Tigers’ second baseman on the 2024 Opening Day roster.

On Keith, Baseball America reports: “The Tigers have done a better job in recent years of acquiring and developing well-rounded hitters like Keith. Keith is a .300 hitter for his minor league career, but his power is even more impressive. He hit 27 home runs last year and finished third in the minors with 68 extra-base hits.”

https://x.com/MiLB/status/1744154513857036752?s=20

Jung, 23, was selected No. 12 overall in the 2022 draft out of Texas Tech and played his first full season of professional baseball in 2023, hitting .265 with 28 home runs, 79 walks and 139 strikeouts across 128 games in High-A West Michigan (81 games) and Double-A Erie (47 games).

He hit .284 and 14 homers with the SeaWolves.

The Tigers transitioned Jung from second base to third base to accommodate for Keith’s presence at second base. Jung competed in the Arizona Fall League after the regular season, where he focused on developing as a third baseman but also hit .200 with one homer, 14 walks and 19 strikeouts across 15 games.

On Jung, Baseball America reports: “Like his older brother, Rangers third baseman Josh Jung, Jace is a very promising hitter. Few doubt that, but there are still a lot of questions about where he’ll end up defensively. If he can just be a fringe-average defender, his bat will help the Tigers quickly.”

https://x.com/MiLB/status/1701750156222448051?s=20

Two players who just missed the BA list:

On Madden, Baseball America reports: “Madden answered questions he faced as a collegian by altering his fastball shape and finding quick success as a professional. The right-hander earns 60 grades on his fastball and slider and complements those pitches with a potentially average changeup and a fringy cutter into a mix that should give him a future in the Tigers’ rotation. His debut could come as soon as the 2024 season.”

On Malloy, Baseball America reports: “The outfielder has an outstanding knowledge of the strike zone that helps get the most out of what projects to be above-average power. Malloy’s game is centered around his offense but he could be a fringe-average defender in the outfield, where his 55-grade throwing arm would nestle in nicely in right field. He could make his big league debut in 2024.”

Sorry Matt Leblanc GIF

1 Like

I like their “Dont block the kids but get some steady talented vets in here to fill out the roster” offseason of Maeda, Canha and Chafin, with Flaherty a nice dice throw and Shelby Miller a stealthy nice grab.

No big deals, no long money, keeps Keith in play for Opening Day and maybe Jung and JHM mid season at 3rd and OF/DH.

Maeda especially was important, as he bumps Manning Mize and Flaherty down a slot in the rotation to 3-5.

Sneaky good roster. 78-82 wins.

So, as you see/read the below then realize that Tigers are moving Keith to 2nd base and Jung to 3rd base.

Keith rated the #3 rated third base prospect

Jace Jung rated #2 2nd base prospect.

Free agency sure has been a slow market this offseason.

Still lots of good players out there. I keep waiting for the Jays to do something. Been painfully boring on that front.

1 Like

Clark, 19 and the 3rd pick in 2023 draft, rated the 6th best OF prospect in MLB

Full article at the link
Detroit Tigers need a third baseman. Can prospect Jace Jung be the long-term solution?

The Detroit Tigers need a third baseman.

But the Tigers haven’t signed a third baseman in free agency this offseason, nor have they acquired a third baseman via trade, because president of baseball operations Scott Harris doesn’t want to block certain prospects from everyday roles in the big leagues.

Just like that, the Tigers put top prospect Jace Jung — who recently transitioned from second base to third base — under the microscope for the 2024 season. He took ground balls at third base for the first time in August and played his first game at third base in October. If all goes as planned, Jung will be the Tigers’ third baseman by the end of this season.

“I’m happy for it,” said Jung, discussing the position change in early November while competing for the Salt River Rafters in the Arizona Fall League. “They said it’s a quicker way to the big leagues, so if anybody says that to anybody, I think anybody would take it.”

Jung, 23, hit .265 with 28 home runs, 79 walks (13.8% walk rate) and 139 strikeouts (23.9% strikeout rate) over 128 games last season in High-A West Michigan (81 games) and Double-A Erie (47 games). He also hit .200 with one homer, 14 walks and 19 strikeouts in over 15 games in the Arizona Fall League.

In Double-A Erie, he posted a .284 batting average with 14 homers while [helping the SeaWolves win the Eastern League championship](https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/jeff-seidel/2023/09/

https://x.com/EvanPetzold/status/1719852002489102427?s=20

Ok, @stephenboyd57 or @Weaselpuppy bump this thread…lol

1 Like

@frm710 talking to yourself again I see. :laughing:

More cool news. Colt Keith signed to extension before he even plays a MLB game!

Buys out his control years, team option for first couple FA years w escalators for those w performance. Basically 6/$28.6m that Maxes out as 9/$82m.

Like the Keith signing, very different move for the Tigers front office

The six prospects on ESPN’s list, complied by draft expert Kiley McDaniel: Jobe (No. 10), Clark (No. 15), Keith (No. 40), Meadows (No. 45), Jung (No. 63) and McGonigle (No. 95). All five of the hitting prospects bat from the left side of the plate.

Jobe, 21, returned from a back injury and posted a 2.81 ERA with six walks and 84 strikeouts across 64 innings in 16 starts at four levels of the minor leagues, finishing at Double-A Erie. He added a 2.87 ERA with five walks and 19 strikeouts across 15⅔ innings in four starts in the Arizona Fall League.

That’s a combined 2.82 ERA with a 3.4% walk rate and 31.7% strikeout rate across 79⅔ innings in 20 starts last season.

On Jobe, ESPN’s McDaniel reports: “Jobe should spend 2024 in the upper minors and seems on track to reach the majors late in 2024 or at the start of the 2025 season. His compact frame, bananas raw stuff and starter command remind me of Spencer Strider — with a tick less fastball quality, but better and more varied offspeed stuff. Jobe is the rare pitching prospect who has a real chance to become an ace.”

https://x.com/MiLB/status/1703545040000221219?s=20

Max Clark
On Clark, ESPN’s McDaniel reports: “Clark gives you more margin for error than (Walker) Jenkins because he’s a no-doubt above-average center fielder with more baserunning value. Scouts also don’t have to worry as much if his in-game power will show up because he is a hit-first player who projects for 15-20 homers down the road. Clark could move very quickly through the minors and his blurb might read like Jackson Holliday’s does right now if things click.”

Keith:
On Keith, ESPN’s McDaniel reports: “He has plus power and feel to get to it in games, hitting 27 homers last season in the upper minors, but he offers little in terms of speed or defensive value with just solid average on-base skills. … I think his long-term fit will be playing all four corners with first base his most natural spot at maturity, but the 25-30 homers from the left side will play anywhere.”

On Meadows, ESPN’s McDaniel reports: "A solid outcome this year would be something like a .240/.340/.400 line with 15-20 homers and solid-average center-field defense, which should equal a 2-something WAR and possibly garner some Rookie of the Year votes.

Jung:
On Jung, ESPN’s McDaniel reports: “Jung has 20-to-25-homer upside and a hit tool that’s a bit above average, down a tick from my pre-draft eval, as he’s learned to lift the ball more effectively in pro ball. He and Colt Keith offer similar skills, with a near-big league ready package of very little speed and defense but a real hit/power combo from the left side.”

McGonigle:
McGonigle, 19, made his professional debut last season after being selected No. 37 overall in the draft. The shortstop hit .315 with one home run, 18 walks and 10 strikeouts over 21 games at the Florida Complex League and Low-A Lakeland levels.

In Low-A, McGonigle hit .350 with one homer, seven walks and five strikeouts over 12 games.

On McGonigle, ESPN’s McDaniel reports: “I think long term McGonigle will be a second baseman with a plus hit tool, plus pitch selection and OBP, and 15-20 homers with some, but not a lot, of baserunning and defensive value. It isn’t a huge upside, but I think his chances of reaching it are much better than the rest of the industry.”

Bump this thread…
@Weaselpuppy
@stephenboyd57
@Martymcfly2017
Come on ST is here …

2 Likes

Interesting

1 Like

So Avila was better than we thought, or? I haven’t been keeping up tbh.

1 Like

I think he sucked at making trades and his FA signings were dog shit.

1 Like

Avila definitely improved the last couple of years in his drafting and we are seeing the signs of that now.
Harris has done a phenomenol job in improving the development staff and analytics, both severe weaknesses of Avila.
TBF to Avila, DD did him no favors in what was left in the farm system or how he treated analytics/development. Avila started to improve the analytic side but it was like starting from a third world country in comparison to many/most other MLB teams.

I’m actually a little more engaged in the Tigers than the last couple of seasons. May actually go to some Lakeland Flying Tiger games, although being low A now really sucks. LOL

2 Likes

Tigers Slugger Upsets Family Supporting Lions

Spencer Torkelson upset his family wearing Jared Goff jersey.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/tigers-slugger-upsets-family-supporting-lions

3 Likes