2024 salary cap

I’ve heard lions will have around 90 million in cap space?
If true could we possibly go after couple higher priced free agents and back load their salary. I realize we are just getting out of cap issues but would it matter if we spent some of that money next year and still be in good shape 2024

1 Like

Who knows. Only thing we know is the future is BRIGHT.
The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

2 Likes

They currently have a ton of cap space in 2024… but it is because they only have 21 players under contract… which includes assuming Okudah’s 5th year option is picked up (not a lock at all)… and also includes UDFA RB Greg Bell (rookie on IR).

That money has to go towards signing over 30 new contracts…. from 2 draft classes and for veterans currently on the team that have short deals.

We don’t know the whole strategy yet… but I don’t think we’ll see any spending sprees like the Jags had last year.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that the end game for Brad is annually netting compensatory picks like the Ravens and Packers do and the Patriots used to do. So he’s never going to spend like a drunken sailor on free agents. We Densters are just gonna have to deal with that.

4 Likes

If he keeps drafting like he has been sign me up

3 Likes

All teams have just around half the roster. We have lots of room but I doubt we spend huge amounts of FA.

They will as these young guys get ready for second contract keep are own players.

Effective Cap Space: the cap space a team will have after signing at least 51 players and its projected rookie class to its roster. $100,639,871 Cap will jump big time 2024 an likely couple more years. They have the big contracts they signed with networks but held back for last two years with big increases but will start increasing the cap. They held back cap to give owners chance to limit loses over the shut downs

2 Likes

I’m not asking for spending sprees, but I also don’t want them to sit there and do nothing. I don’t agree with the “Ted Thompson” method. I think it is very key to add 1-2 key players in FA to supplement the roster. Not saying they need to be top of the market guys, but they should be plus starters. Then you sign a couple Charles Harris/Deshon Elliot types and build the rest through the draft.

Animated GIF

1 Like

That would be great!

The lions should be focused on having money to pay their own. You can’t extend Sewell, St Brown and all the other young, core guys on this team when your dealing with tens of millions of dollars in dead money after inevitably cutting high priced free agents halfway through their deals.

I like that Holmes offers short term deals to 2nd/3rd tier names over long term deals to guys that aren’t much better but have recognizable names (Chark vs Kirk, for example). If/when those guys work out he brings them back, if they don’t - no harm bc he only signed them to a 1 year deal. I like that he’s focused on avoiding dead money and creates opportunity for rollover.

Holmes needs to stay the course and continue doing this the right way. The last thing i want to see him do this offseason is what the jags did last summer. If he does, we will be saying goodbye to a lot of these young, core players (probably right around the time he’s cutting the guys he chose to pay instead).

5 Likes

Animated GIF

2 Likes

LOL… that’s great!!!

It will be interesting to see the strategy… considering Brad came from the “Ef them Picks” tree…… and DC came from the “$100+ million” over the cap team…. but I think we may not see taht urgency here for a while.

I was just thinking if there is couple guys you want you could make the dollars work:

1 Like

Always

1 Like

For sure… they might dip the toes in the pool to grab a few guys…. but I do believe they want to keep space available for “their” own guys.

Just a hunch… but they have a lot of young guys already… and plenty of picks coming up this year as well. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.