2024 Solar Eclipse

A group of us did the 2017 total eclipse and it was an amazing experience (and I’ve seen and done a lot of cool shit).

I was in charge of logistics for the group. Had 6 hotel reservations from Nebraska to Tennessee. Solar eclipse is only really cool if you have a clear day. A few days before I cancelled all but 2 of the reservations and narrowed it down to 1 two days in advance (Kentucky). We drove from Michigan to Kentucky. Work up early the next morning, checked radar and picked the small town in Kentucky we decided had the highest chance of clear skies.

Ended up being perfect. My bud’s brother had a high priced computer controlled telescope that tracked the eclipse so we could watch on the monitor as well as record everything. We all had the glasses as well as a couple pairs of binoculars with the filters on them.

The really cool part was the 2 minutes of total eclipse. Off came the glasses and you could watch it with the naked eye. It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. It was eerie on a primal level. You can just imagine the power a shaman would have if they could predict such things.

The 2024 Eclipse path is through multiple big cities. Dallas, Little Rock, Indianapolis, Cleveland. Detroit itself is just outside the totality. Just south of Toledo is the longest period of totality. Dallas has the highest probability of clear skies this far out but that really means nothing now.

A bit of advice for anyone attempting to drive to view it…people arrive at viewing area at various times, people all leave at the same time. Traffic on the way home to Michigan was a nightmare until got a ways north.

Anyone else planning on viewing live ??

3 Likes

Never thought out it but sounds cool…

I’d want to try for Little Rock. What the time frame for this event

we’re going to drive to anywhere along the route, it’ll be a 2.5-3 hour drive and we’ll probably just go to some podunky spot in a parking lot to see it.

Hoping for clears skies that day in Indy since I have some friends down there to make it a worthwhile weekend.

Went to Casper, Wyoming for the eclipse in 2017. Could have gone somewhere else closer to where I live, but I wanted to guarantee a sunny day. It was an awesome sight to behold that every person should experience at least once with their own eyes.