2025 Coaching Hot Seat Preview

Ah, the offseason. Such a wonderful time to prognosticate out of sheer boredom.

No one watches a stock car race for the thrill of seeing 800 left hand turns, and in much the same way as a train wreck draws the attention of all, there’s a macabre attraction in contemplating which of the thirty two best football coaches the world has to offer will feel the shadow of the headsman’s axe first.

Poor team response, lunatic owners, front office twerps throwing people under the bus to save their own skin, bad luck, it’s a perversely mixed bag of factors that bring that first firing of the year. Pure bliss in an Addams family fashion. Here are my tiered rankings of the NFL’s most unstable jobs ranked in tiers.

THE CHAIR IS LAVA

Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns. Stefanski enters his fifth season as head coach under owner Jimmy Haslam, which is kinda like being the world’s oldest person, it’s not a title people hold for very long. Saddled with an epically underachieving QB with a massively bad contract, Stefanski will have to pull a real rabbit out of his hat this year to save his job.

Prediction - First firing of the year, late October to early November.

SCORCHING HOT

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears. It wouldn’t be the first time a coach was used as a lame duck during the rookie year of a franchise quarterback. Eberflus hasn’t moved the needle yet for the Bears in three years, and with the high end wide receiver talent the Bears have assembled, his leash will be the second shortest.

Prediction - Going to get Shawshanked on Black Monday

Robert Saleh, New York Jets. His defense is top notch, but Saleh’s fate lies in the hands of Aaron Rodgers. The Jets have failed to find any consistent answers on offense during his tenure, another playoff miss will be the end of the road for Saleh as he stares down Buffalo and Miami to try and save his job.

Prediction- Black Monday green room.

Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys. Jerrah wasn’t ready to pull the trigger last year. This year is a different story. It’s Super Bowl or bust for McCarthy, and Jimmy the Greek is calling bust. Darth Hoodie awaits…

Prediction- Fired after a first round playoff exit.

Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints. The Saints are a team in transition seeking a new identity to build around. Allen isn’t it.

Prediction- Black Monday green room.

RED HOT

Brian Daboll, New York Giants. Daboll started his tenure perhaps too well, and last seasons faceplant in the face of those heightened expectations has hastened his rise on this list. The Cowboys and Eagles aren’t going to get easier to play, and the Daniel Jones experience will spell his doom.

Prediction- Invited to the Black Monday festivities with a VIP pass.

Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers. The longest tenured NFL Coach shown the door in back to back years? As Jerry Glanville said, it stands for Not For Long. Can Tomlin make some magic with Russ cooking? Survey says…no.

Prediction- The Steelers do it classy, with something like a forced retirement, but Tomlin is my prediction for lucky #7 in the next coaching cycle.

Thank you for reading, I do hope it helps with the Doldrums. Please remember that my original content (often imitated, never duplicated) can only be found exclusively on The Den, home to the best football fans in the world.

4 Likes

Tomlin is going nowhere

If they wanted to whack him it would have been last season

How do you fire a coach who has never had a losing season in this league?

3 Likes

Easy, bring in Fields/Wilson and have a losing season. :innocent:

2 Likes

McCarthy is a weird one. Sure seemed like the time to shed him was this year, but he didn’t.

Tomlin isn’t going anywhere.

Eberflus is lava hot, even over Stefanski, IMO.

Good stuff!

2 Likes

Didn’t Stefanski win Coach of the Year last year? Going 11-5 with a bunch of backups? I’m not sure why that warrants a lava hot seat.

Eberflus and his team both showed noticable improvement last season, and added a ton of pieces in free agency and the draft. If they regress then yeah he’ll get fired, but I’m not sure how likely that is. Plus he has the excuse of having a rookie QB.

Saleh has no excuses.

McCarthy’s contract expires after this year, so the Cowboys don’t actually have to fire him after the season if they’re unhappy with his performance.

I feel like Daboll will get at least a year with a new QB if they choose to move on from Daniel Jones after the season.

3 Likes

He’s won it twice in Cleveland. He’d need a disaster of a season with Watson being healthy all year to get canned IMO.

Sirianni’s seat is very warm too.

2 Likes

@HSVLion @Slay

I don’t think the problem is with Stefanski, I look at it more from the aspect that Jimmy Haslam is a meddling jerk-off with an itchy trigger finger :flushed:. I believe that someone told him in no uncertain terms that he needed to cool it with the firings and frequent coaching changes to rehab his image. It’s Stefanski’s fifth year, and I have a hard time seeing him get six with Haslam as owner.

nuclear explosion GIF

nuclear explosion GIF

1 Like

Huh…. thought this was heading towards a discussion about the QB… :open_mouth:

1 Like

I think that’s why next season is the one you want to take the job if you’re an OC from Detroit. The quality of openings should be way better than this season as should the pay. He got some interview time in, learned how it works, next season should be a layup for Ben Johnson.

2 Likes

Eberflus should have been fired after the way they played against GB in the last game of the regular season. Bears are on huge hype train talking about the Playoffs……Eberflus better deliver or Caleb will probably bring in a new coach lol. Probably his dad haha.

1 Like

the Bears started 2-7 last season….
and finished the year 5-3….

but a meaningless game after they were eliminated from playoff contention is the moment they should have fired Eberflus???

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

The 2025 Detroit Lions Defensive Coordinator?

2 Likes

Mike McCarthy is coming off of back to back to back 12-5 seasons. I realize they play an extra game now. But no other coach in the history of the Cowboys has ever won 12 games in 3 straight seasons. They were also top 5 on both offense and defense. I am aware that its “all about postseason success,” but Jason Garrett didn’t have that either. He didn’t win as much as McCarthy and he was given 9 years to figure it out before getting fired.

I think as long as the Cowboys don’t shit the bed, McCarthy will only be replaced if a clear better option (or better fit) is available. Jerry would be going into uncharted territory if he hired someone like Ben Johnson. Why? Because Ben has 0 head coaching experience and 0 time served coaching with the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry has never hired a HC for the Cowboys that lacked both. So you can take all of those candidates off the board. Who is left that Jerry can sell to the fanbase as a clear upgrade? And before someone says Belichick, remember that Bill wants control that the Cowboys won’t give him. Bill also wants to keep things private and “in house.” He won’t get that with the Cowboys. As a former Cowboys TE spoke about recently, even lifting weights is a spectacle with the Dallas Cowboys.

Respectfully, I think Tomlin has lost his edge and the Steelers could use a breath of fresh air. Personally, the rumors were swirling last year and I think this year it happens. Tomlin is a good coach right now, but I think he needs to step away, recharge, and come back as the great coach he used to be ten years ago.

Tomlin is not going anywhere. Its not how the rooney’s do business. I find it hard to believe that the two time COY is on the hot seat. All the rest sure why not.

If Philadelphia starts this season the way they ended it last year, Nick Sirianni will be replaced by midseason.

At the moment, everyone’s acting like it didn’t happen. But Nick was out of solutions and in over his head as the team crumbled. It won’t take many early losses to freshen those memories.

2 Likes

I’m still feeling the vibe Ben can stay here …

We win the San this year ok maybe he bolts.

I think the Bears still had a small chance when the game started and I’ll admit wouldn’t have made it even if they had won after all the games were played. Instead Love completes 85% of his passes for over 300 yards and 2 tds. Don’t think any bears vs GB game is meaningless especially when you can keep them out of the playoffs. Honestly though I’m glad Poles kept him around. Another defensive HC trying to work with a new OC and rookie QB is probably good for us.

Yeah, it was brutal. Really looks like Steichen was the brains behind that operation (watch for an Indy run this year if AR stays healthy). I think that’s why they went out and got bona fide coordinators in Kellen Moore and Fangio. Sirianni seemed alright when the coordinators did their jobs.