2025 NFL mock draft: Way-too-early projections for Detroit Lions

However, I will gleefully roundup other 2025 NFL mock drafts, because I think it’s a ridiculous exercise, and I enjoy proving how ridiculous it is every year. For example, let’s go back and look at the way-too-early 2024 NFL mocks from last year.

In those, the Lions were paired with the following players:

• Ohio State DT Michael Hall Jr.
  • Illinois DT Jer’Zhan Newton
  • LSU DT Maason Smith
  • Washington EDGE Bralen Trice
  • Clemson S Andrew Mukuba
  • Alabama CB Kool-Aid McKinstry

Of these six players, exactly zero of them ended up being a first-round pick, and one (Mukuba) didn’t even end up declaring for the NFL Draft. Although, to be fair, everyone else was a Day 2 pick.

2 Likes

I think the draft fell out perfectly for us this year.

We were returning almost our entire offensive unit and the first 14 picks (and 17 of the first 23) went on the offensive side of the ball. That left a potential top 15 guy available for us to move up and get.

We are hopefully in a position where we aren’t drafting in top 15 for awhile so getting a top 15 player is a nice bonus.

1 Like

Jamo will have a lot to say about our 1st round pick goes in 2025. If Jamo struggles, 2025 draft could start out with a WR. Even if he has a mediocre year I think WR is in play.

If Jamo steps up and has a monster season, WR drops off the 1st round pick options.

DT & DE will almost always be an option if the right guy falls to us.

CB is most assuredly off the table but I could see a top Safety being an option.

LB is definitely in play as AA will be 30 this year.

Definite no to RB, QB or TE in the first.

O-line is always an option, especially since so many went this year there could be a super nice O-line guy that drops in 2025.

Not one person picked DT

I’d bet DT for sure

DT…last year wanted Spoon CB missed out and then went back to back this year.

I truly believe we wanted Jerzahn Newton as option for 1B round 1 or even round 2

Plus McNeil contract
Plus it’s a loaded DT draft

I love Nic Scourton. He won’t even turn twenty until the week of the upcoming season opener. Super talented and productive kid.

1 Like

I know you said no TE in the first, but Colston Loveland would look real nice in this offense. Crazy that there are 4 UM guys I’d consider with our 1st next year - Kenneth Grant DT, Mason Graham DT, Will Johnson CB and Loveland.

Honestly, I don’t look at these as a bad thing. All those players were ranked high, and still ranked high enough today for a reason. I actually look at these to see who might have fallen that can be late round steals.

Luke Lachey is the real deal, just another IOWA TE that will kill it in the NFL.

2 Likes

With the current roster I think they go WR.

But if one of the guys we have developing do not show that they will be a plus Center then the Lions may have to be aggressive and get a more sure fire replacement for Ragnow. I am positive I read that he plans on playing out this contract. And I have assumed he is done at that point.

Also agree that they almost must go Dline. Either DT or DE for sure.

I will never truly be pissed about drafting linemen on either side. But I do find the DB situation interesting. Like maybe the CB position needs some consistent love due to injuries? Anyway. this roster is in a really good place right now. I would like to see the Lions develop a better front 4. I keep thinking back to the Bills run and the Giants runs and even NE. And they all had very very good front 4s. That never seems to change. Top defenses always seem to have a front 4 that can control the line and get consistent pressure without help.

Youre correct. Frank will play his contract out and then he done in my opinion. Sorsdal should learn Center and and should Mahogony.

Detroit’s own (Cass Tech) Deone Walker, DT #0 for Kentucky.

This guy’s 6’6, 345 pounds, plays like he’s 290. Drops into pass coverage and makes plays! Watch and be amazed.

1 Like