3rd Round, Pick 101: CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (keep it here)

2 Likes

He was slobbering over this kid. On paper he looks like a freak, which is why I’m saying it’s time for our DC and secondary coach to turn this kid into a starter.

1 Like

His bro was a big time freak and busted so :man_shrugging:

I think it was inspired first two days… we’ll se whether it works out in due time. I’m confident about Sewell and optimistic about the rest. Worried about WR though.

3 Likes

In a rebuild, it’s good to get your CB early in the process because they can have Slay-like or Okudah-like development schedules.

I do think the one thread that binds on all these guys, is they all like to hit people. Which is nice.

1 Like

Obi is a free agent. Maybe the Lions can resurrect his career and team him with his brother.

1 Like

Good call.

not at all nice, is nice!

It makes you wonder how a kid with tools this good fell this far. I wondered the same about Oruwariye too so I guess it’s just one of those things.

number 3 rated CB on SI fwiw.

3 Likes

any chance he moves to safety? Having multiple good long athletic corners is the dream just curious if one of them shifts to safety

Maybe we’ll get the All-Pro brother this time?

Champ instead of Boss

Tory instead of Terrence

4 Likes

On this pick, I’m from Missouri–gotta show me.

In 2017, his brother, Obi, was a 2d Rd pick, No. 56 overall, out of Connecticut. Obi was a workout warrior with “crazy” combine numbers:

The former UConn Huskie had an 11-foot-9 broad jump, a 44-inch vertical, a 4.40 40-yard dash, and did that all at 6-foot-4, 223 lbs.

Total bust. Played 7 games and is now out of the NFL.

Let’s hope his brother is better.

I’m going to be honest. The only reason I don’t like the pick was because of who they left on the board. I’m totally happy with the player and the value they got here.

1 Like

Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant have their piece of clay.

Solid, no-brainer choice here. The guy has a ton of talent and Holmes absolutely knows how to get later-round CBs and plug them into the lineup. I love this pick.

Coach is rather excited about this guy:

“He’s just sticking out like a sore thumb, and you can’t avoid him,” Campbell said, during a recent SiriusXM Radio interview, about Melifonwu. “To know what kind of athlete and football player he is – and by the way, this kid has a background now, too. Everything about him, he does extra work. He knows how to work, he’s smart, he’s competitive, he’s got some dog in him and he loves football. Then, you put that with the athletic ability, knowing this is a 41-inch vert guy and 11(-foot) broad, on top of that, he can run at over 200 pounds. Man, he’s got some speed and length and ball skills. It was a no-brainer for us. We were thrilled to get him. We were actually shocked that we were able to get him where we got him.”

1 Like

Walter instead of Eddie

Does Andre Ware have a brother? Because we should drafted him, regardless if he even played football…

We did get Chris instead of Rick. I mean now, when they played we got both.