3rd Round, Pick 96: Lions Select Western Kentucky DT Brodric Martin

Wow, we traded our 4th, and (2) 5ths for a NT that had one year of starting experience at WKU. Color me shocked but this screams Brad Holmes trying to be the smartest guy in the room to me. I will trust him because he has shown a knack for these types of things (ie James Houston) but this was a head scratcher.

4 Likes

MathBomb comments on his low score…

Kent Lee Platte
](https://twitter.com/MathBomb)

@MathBomb

·

9h

For a nose it’s not a worry. Even his bench being bad, with those ridiculous long arms.

1 Like

Finally we got our anchor in the middle. Wish he was younger but dude could be dominant

1 Like

Just about every draft pick for us this draft has been a huge surprise. This one feels like a HUGE risk/reach and hope it’s not Tavai 2.0. Didn’t like having to give up 4th and (2) 5th rounders for an unknown player with a HORRIFIC RAS score. He scored a 2.14 [#RAS] out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 1275 out of 1620 DTs from 1987 to 2023. At least he’s a run stuffer DT where speed is less important, but still Sheesh.

3 Likes

I don’t care about his RAS. I care about his tape. I’m now through the New Orleans Bowl game, UAB, and half-way through Indiana and I’m very much doing one of these:

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

His bench of 20 definitely shows up on tape. He plays with 280lb strength and 340lb movement. He struggles to win one-on-one in Conference USA but I’m supposed to expect he can eat up double teams in the NFL? I don’t know…he has the size, but he hasn’t shown a lot of power and his technique is…eh. Hopefully the Lions can coach him up.

3 Likes

1 Like

The Bench press also not good for such a big guy. And comes from a smaller school. All the red flags in the world lol for a 3rd rounder, but if he turns out to be a decent player for us, then we must bow down to Brad for seeing something many don’t see.

1 Like

Levi O & Melifonwu are two of them.

1 Like

Buggs was far worse…

3 Likes

The arm chair Scout’s are out today.

I’m not saying I’m an expert at all. BUT…getting stood up isn’t the issue folks think it is. It is about MOVING a guy. If Martin can stay in his place that is what we need. A lane plugger who allows for others to make plays. A guy who keeps the C/G in place thus forcing a RB to go around him thus buying a fraction of a second.

Martin has the size they want. I thought they wanted a 3 tech. Nope. Size. And they got that. Sure seems like he can be developed with an NFL weight program.

This pick shocked me. But they wanted size and they got it.

5 Likes

Calls others arm chair scouts, then proceeds to give his own arm chair scout opinion. Kettle calling the pot black much?

2 Likes

This shit is so annoying. Some of us enjoy watching film - this is a football forum to discuss football, including draft picks.

Quite frankly, I’m tired of pouring hundreds, if not thousands of hours into the draft class between film and data and getting these types of responses, threads created, etc, about how if you’re “not a professional” you should shut up and trust the regime.

Like why the hell am I even here and sharing opinions and evaluations when this is what it’s met with. Thank god the draft is almost over because I need a long break from this place.

15 Likes

Hey bro remember one thing about this world

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNSIHED

Take a break after this, we all deserve one

But don’t let anyone steal your joy

Keep up the good work
If nothing else I appreciate it

5 Likes

I also thought they’d go with a 3 tech, but I actually wanted a big 1 tech, human pylon to sit his ass right in the middles and eat space, while the rest of the front 7 zip around like hornets, and looks like they thought the same…hooray for armchair scouts!

3 Likes

Agreed ^

The pick doesn’t shock me at all

Taking him end of 3 is a bit surprising but I say that you never know between 90-150 anyways late 3 and 5 there’s no difference

1 Like

I sympathize but part of it is that so many panned Detroit’s first two picks and it was clear those evaluations were trash. When multiple NFL teams confirm Detroit didn’t reach, then it literally means it wasn’t a reach.

So when more picks are made that seem questionable to amateur scouts, as well meaning as you are, you can see why people might eyeroll.

I’d say this — the best thing you can do (and I think you already do a good of this) is to couch evaluations in things like “their scouts must see something I don’t — time will prove them wrong or right.” And if picks fail, that is absolutely a valid time for an “I told you so.”

And remember, in the months and weeks before the draft, people specifically come here for takes like yours. But love of the team will always dwarf that of a poster. Don’t take that personally.

After all, the Lions have sucked hard since 1957. That devotion is real. Even … insane.

4 Likes

Meh, ppl said the same shit about “armchair scouts/gm’s” from Millen through Quinn…and ironically, many of said armchairer’s were more right than the actual ppl who get paid by the Lions to draft and scout players, so dont let em get to you.

6 Likes

That’s the part that gets me
These “professionals” are fired every year by the bunches lol

3 Likes

This is all fair. For me personally, the first two picks were less about the players, as Gibbs and Campbell, are arguably the best at what they do in the draft, but more about the merits of positional value and taking them where they did regardless of whether other teams were going to take them. I’d still say that those other teams are committing positional value violations.

When it comes to Brodric Martin, I hadn’t seen any tape on him, because regardless of how much time you put into the draft, it’s impossible for anyone to watch the tape of all the players - especially when it’s someone who really wasn’t getting a lot of 3rd round grades and despite being a DT, wasn’t really the type of DT I was expecting the Lions to take.

My goal with looking at Martin was to see what the Lions liked and why they took him earlier than I think a lot of people expected him to go. His measurables are off the chart, but the tape I’ve seen doesn’t really inspire a lot of confidence, but again, I think the physical traits are there but I think he needs a lot of work. I don’t think he’s even at the level McNeill was in the limited amount of tape I’ve seen.

I was just getting ready to post about a play I saw where I went “Okay, maybe, that’s why they like him”. It’s a 2nd and 7 early against FIU, where he’s lined up directly over the center. He makes a quick first step over to the LG, absolutely makes the LG look foolish with a greatly timed swim move and beats him cleanly while on the run, runs through the RB on the way to the QB who he forces to make a bad, quick throw which is intercepted.

It lines up with what Brad had said in his presser about having mobility from a guy that big that he doesn’t see often, but up until that point, I hadn’t seen it on film. Now I have, so that’s something where I can go “Ok, I can see what they’re seeing.”

3 Likes

Should auto start at correct time, but if not, it’s around 33:20

2 Likes