4 Takeaways from the Minicamp

He was old school too. I remember watching the game he joined Mario impemba and rod allen in the booth. They had all the analytics and stats in front of them. Ernie just had his score card. He did an inning all from memory and it was perfection. We just don’t get broadcasters like that anymore. All the networks want to do now is hire ex ball players or media personalities.

2 Likes

“That’s the culture change I want from Holmes and the 2021 Lions.”

I think he hits it right on and is exactly what the Lions are doing. A very refreshing change in philosophy and a great article. Thanks for sharing!

One of the great and enduring memories of my childhood. 1984,15 years old, paper route for the News. Listening to the legendary baritone of Ernie Harwell every night on my clock radio was amazing.

Summer nights down at Michigan & Trumbull. The Boys started 35-5 and never looked back. It seemed they were never out of a game and pulled off so many miracle comebacks I’d lay awake just waiting for Rusty Koontz, Alan Trammell, Sweet Lou, Parrish, Herndon, Lemon, Darrell Evans or Gibby to drive home the winning run.

Jack Morris threw a no-hitter. They finished 15 games ahead of the Blue Jays, swept the Royals in the ALCS, split two close ones in San Diego before winning three straight at Tiger Stadium, punctuated by Gibby’s trademark home run in Game 5.

Thanks for the reminder of those golden days !

3 Likes

I was about that age (13) for the 1968 Tigers. Snuck a transistor radio into school. Back when all the games were during the day! Thrilling 4-3 series win after trailing 3-1. Imprinted for life!

4 Likes

They haven’t coached a single game and this is already my favorite Lions coaching staff of all time!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this additional article about the culture change Risdon wants to see the Lions make in 2021.

It was good and is one of the reasons I am happy if the Lions stay with the young depth RB’s and develop them rather than bringing in Gurley.

One thing I am disappointed in is the low opinions and expectations for Perriman. I suppose it is still really early, so we will see. I was hoping Breshad might resurrect his career here, but he will need to show some consistency early to do so. He is still a relatively young player with some crazy speed and enough skills to have been drafted in Rd 1. It also sounded like he had turned his game around a bit in 2019 with the Bucs. The Jets were just bad last year so I can give him a pass for 2020. Perriman is in a perfect position to show that he can be a consistent #2 WR. If he can’t win that job with the competition the Lions have at WR I think it might be safe to say his NFL career might be over.

1 Like

Not to mention that if the players love the coaches and there is some success, Detroit instantly becomes a top destination for free agents.

2 Likes

I like this article Free and I agree with it. I am VERY happy the Lions are not going veteran crazy. #3 RB highlights this Lion’s approach. Jamaal Williams is a veteran and that is enough at that position group. We are going to have a two-headed attack at running back and we will developing a #3 RB. I like that.

At WR we have veterans on the roster and we will develop young guys. Not a great position group but throwing $ at a position doesn’t build a locker room and it doesn’t get you better results overall.

I like how the Lions have built this roster. That doesn’t also mean there are not questions but I am okay with that. Having questions doesn’t also mean the young players will not answer those questions as the season progresses.

4 Likes

Synergy- the sum of the whole is greater than the individual parts!!

2 Likes

Ha ha ha Wow! Talk about blowing my post way out of context and bringing nothing but politics and trying to divide people into this.

Let me repeat my point, the narrative from the majority of the sports media is that Stafford is the saviour in LA and Goff sucks, none of this will be determined for real until games are played later this year.

When it comes to your hardcore political response, no comment, it’s not allowed on this forum, check the policy.

5 Likes

Thanks to the person who flagged it.

Still distictly remember the day I became a Michigan fan, backseat of the Impala, going to Detroit to see Grandma and Grandpa and hearing this

Is this your way of saying you have been a Michigan fan since conception?

Oh wait…

2 Likes

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

Same here, heard it live on the radio and I was hooked. AC’s signed jersey n helmet are in my man cave!