5 First Round QBs

Well, I guess that is that, then. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think it’s easier to base the number of first round quarterbacks based on the number of teams who have a QB starting that is below grade and is entering year 4 or more in the league. Carolina, New Orleans, Houston, those are three teams that will definitely be looking hard and heavy in the first round. Who else will be joining them?

New Orleans might look to make a trade if they see someone they want (Russell Wilson?) that could unexpectedly push another team into the hunt.

You may see some retirement action that brings others to the table (Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Tampa?).

And some surprise teams that are dissatisfied (Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Minnesota, NYG?)

No one wants to go into the season trying to sell their season ticket holders on the excitement of watching Tyrod Taylor and a 3rd round pick as their starting QB options, sometimes its better financially to reach in the first to have some type of hope to sell.

I could justifiably see a valid case for six quarterbacks to go in the first round, and an equally justifiable case that none of them deserved it either.

2 Likes

I disagree. Even assuming that Goff can’t be the long-term answer (which is far from a given), what’s magic about drafting a new guy earlier rather than later?

There are lots of ways to go get a new quarterback if needed. The Chiefs seemed to do okay adding Mahomes as a final piece by trading up. The Rams and Bucs seem to be doing okay going after an established vet when ready to make a run. The Titans and Saints are competitive with reclamation projects.

1 Like

Ive stated this before, and here it is again… When the Lions traded Stafford… for Goff and 2 firsts… the plan was to have Goff take over as the QB of the future. Some peeps might not like it… especially after the way this season has gone. But for the Holmes plan to work… Goff really needs to be the QB of the future. I get that after part of a season with little to no WR stability, and little to no OC ingenuity… it looks bad. Id like to say that I don’t think it will continue to be this bad… and I think that if Goff has the time (which I think he will under our line net year) and an improved WR group… I think Goff will get much better and prove all the naysayers wrong. Not that that’s my point… I just think the Homes will do what is needed this offseason to change the game for the Lions. CLEARLY, our top 3 needs are WR, SF, LB. I expect Holmes to go all in on those 3 positions to change the game.

3 Likes

I cannot emphasize enough how terrible an idea it is to draft a QB this year unless you are 100% sure this is the guy.

4 Likes

You read my mind. Begs the question, would you want a young Cousins for 10 years? I have mixed feelings on that one. I’d like to think we could do better, but my gosh, we could do a lot worse!

I think we should dangle our 1OA to Jax for Lawrence. They seem to be a crap show right now. Maybe they have some buyers remorse on him.

I don’t think it’s as out of the question as many think.

Heck I might even give them both 1s this year.

Would they do it? Would you…

Smirk Smile GIF

No way. I don’t believe in T-Law. He’s Ryan Leaf with a better attitude.

Mc Shame will later release a list of up to 8 then right before the draft cut it down to 4, because, that’s what sells.

1 Like

I have Trevor more Marcus Mariota than Ryan Leaf. He won’t be a total bust. He’s not the brightest. And he’s not super accurate. He has a strong arm and he’s more athletic than he looks. That worked in college.

1 Like

If Holmes thought Goff was the QB of the future, he should be fired immediately, go straight to jail, and he don’t collect $200 when he passes GO.

But what I do think is that he thought Goff would buy him some time before he had to deal w/QB, and maybe in the back of his head thought he might turn Goff around.

1 Like

I said prior to the draft last year that I would have likely passed on Fields if he fell to our 2nd round pick. The more I watched him the more I thought he was going to be out of the league in 4-5 years.

Ridder is the guy I hope lands in Detroit.

1 Like

Nah he’ll come good. His metrics are actually fairly decent especially for a rookie QB. It’s just his surrounding cast isn’t helping him at all. Even Marvin Jones has his worst drop rate in years.

2 Likes

At least Mel is fun though (or perhaps that’s just my nostalgia). Todd seems like a turd. I do agree that neither seem all that well informed.

I think Cousins is a solid QB, but even in his best years he is borderline top 10. It’s tough to build a consistent winner with a QB like that

He’ll be fine if Urban doesn’t ruin him. They need to make a change and hire someone like Shane Steichen.

1 Like

If Urb survives this shitstorm he put himself in, I can see him sweeping out that offensive staff. He just needed them to get his feet wet in the NFL anyway. I thought Bevell was a weird hire for Urb from the start - style wise.

@farmerted Dude, I appreciate your perspective. I do. But you are looking at Goff thru a 1 year, THIS year lens. I’m looking at the Goff endeavor through a 4-6 year lease. Holmes and Campbell have 6 year contracts. As long as there is consistent improvement, they’ll be here. And I DO THINK… both of them have agreed that the BEST plan… if it works… is to BUILD a team around Goff. He has done well in the past. He has not done well under ALynn. He’s done better under DC. Give Goff a WR room that works, and I’m relatively sure Holmes and DC are riding Goffs train format least a year… and they’re damn sure hoping it’s much longer. I could be totally wrong… but I think that’s the plan.

1 Like

If there was literally any chance of this then Sean McVay wouldn’t have traded him away.

2 Likes

Guys like Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins, Drew Brees, and many others have turned their career around after switching teams. Not saying that is Goff but McVay moving on when he wasn’t even the guy who originally drafted him isn’t a guarantee he will fail.

1 Like