5 First Round QBs

What teams “need” a QB?

If Mills doesn’t work out, the Texans in Round 2
Carolina if they don’t swing a trade for a veteran
WFT (doubt they’re going to roll with Taylor Heinecke, but who knows?)
Atlanta (Matt Ryan isn’t going to play forever)
Saints (probably)
Steelers (highly likely)

Maybes

Seattle–if Wilson is traded
Miami–Tua? Improved lately, but …
Philly–Hurts? (plus 3 1st Rd picks in 2022)
Denver–they say Bridgewater’s not the answer

I highly doubt Mills will factor in any QB decision the Texans makeand could see them taking the plunge with their first rounder or potentially whatever pick(s) they get for Watson. I would add the Giants to that list as Daniel Jones is no lock to return.

There is also a chance Aaron Rodgers is available and Watson should fill one of those openings.

Overall I would say with the Steelers and Saints are the two most likely to take the plunge in the first as the value lines up with where they will be slotted. I think Carolina will be in the Rodgers/Wilson/Watson hunt, as will Denver.

That’s especially true if Culley is one and done.

Goff was teetering on losing his job the year before (arguably benched - but the player he was benched for got hurt IIRC), and actually lost him job when they traded for Stafford. I’d say its a multi year arc. No doubt our roster hasn’t done him any favors, I’ll give you that .

The best thing in the world would be to see Goff improve and be the guy he was for LA in 2018. But to me, that’s not a plan. That’s a prayer.

The nice thing is that even if they are stuck with him another year, they can still build a team around him, then upgrade him the next year. If he can just play as well as he did vs the Vikings.

The top 3 are a toss up for me and I like different things about all three guys (Corral/Willis/Pickett). One thing I love about Willis is the dude has some strong ass legs and sheds guy off that most QB’s can’t. Similar to guys like Cam and Big Ben even though he’s smaller than those guys. He can buy time, or burn the hell out of you with his legs and a lot of times, when you buy time, that guy downfield starts separating and then his arm talent can take huge advantage of that. I really think it would be smart to come out of the draft with one of those three guys. I just don’t buy that we can come in next year with a better record and get a guy at say 10-15 who is going to be “clearly” superior to the top three. If a couple guys next year are ahem “generational” like Young (short) or Stroud, they are going to go top 3. Even IF we are willing to sell the farm do you think the teams above us are going to “surely” pass on these dudes to let us have them?? Sorry, too much uncertainty for me when we’ll likely be in position now to get who we feel is the best QB in the class. I’d love to TD a few spots and then take one of the three.

1 Like

What about trading UP, with 26 (Rams) and 33? Get Hutch AND Willis?

My fav thing about Willis (so far) is his leadership potential. Dude has a lot of faith in himself, and he’s a football player, not just a QB.

1 Like

This.

I’d say I’m stunned to read some of these people believing Jared Goff is still going to end up being “the guy,” but I understand fan stands for fanatic. I was stunned all offseason too reading things like this current team is a 6-8 win club, that Dan Campbell was worth an instant 4 win upgrade over Patricia, that Perriman and Tyrell Williams would have career years and WR position was fine. Hey, if you’re a Lions fan I guess you have to believe this stuff for sanity purposes.

The reality, for the few that are interested in actual reality, is that Sean McVay is one of the smartest offensive minds on planet Earth. Even he felt he couldnt win with Goff and literally traded multiple first round picks to get rid of him. Goff is a bridge QB who can be a steady veteran presence during the lean years of the rebuild. That’s not a particularly difficult assessment if you’re being even moderately honest with yourself about the reality of the Detroit Lions.

1 Like

I think that will be determined by how free agency falls out. If they can patch up other parts of the team, I could see it happening. Holmes seemed to be all aboard the acquiring game changers train Les Snead was running with the Rams.

If they’re staring down the barrel of starting Will Harris at Safety again next year, I’d say probably not.

1 Like

It’s not shocking that after leaving Marty Shottenheimer, and landing with Sean Peyton, Drew Brews got better. Comparing that situation to Jared Goff leaving Sean McVay and landing with Meathead Campbell is pretty far fetched. Anything is possible tho I guess.

Malik Willis. Barf.

I’d much rather try for Jameis Winston. Somebody elses bust with more talent and has learned a few things along the way.

2 Likes

100% full disclosure - I have always been afraid to draft QB.
Too high a bust rate. I just see that we’re gonna have to do something sometime…

If Willis has time to develop, I could see him working out . He carries himself extremely well for a dude his age. Think he’s got leadership potential.

Getting a real assessment of Goff’s potential was always going to be a longshot with this putrid roster. I don’t know how he can possibly show you anything given that most of the offense is either injured or has Chinese Lung AIDS.

In his last 3 games Willis was sacked 21x, threw 3 TD’s vs 6 int’s, and had an average completion percentage of 55%. Nothing screams first rounder more than that. And he averaged 2.1 ypc in that stretch. You guys will all get a chance to look him over when Liberty plays Eastern Michigan later this week.

4 Likes

Exactly. If we want to go pissing in the wind, I still say sign up Paxton Lynch. He failed because he’s immature and now he got demoted to 3rd string in Canada because he refused to get vaccinated. I’m surprised they haven’t released him since you can’t play in Canada unvaccinated. But the guy can throw a 70 yard pass on a rope, just like Justin Herbert, I’ve seen him do it. And did I mention he’s 3rd string in Canada? Screams NFL minimum salary to me. And he has huge 10 1/4 hands. And I know the fascination of some here with hand size.

3 Likes

Hands GIF

He also played much better teams than Liberty…his own team

If you watch, Willis is constantly running for his life.

1 Like

Lynch has to be better than Tim Boyle and Blough

This is what I mean. Does our franchise even look to get better?

Dt Andrew billings is on a practice squad. Hes better than Brockers and Levi and Mcniell at this point. We also could have picked up bj hill off waivers

But we are too busy trading 5th rounders for wr that sit the bench

it doesn’t seem to affect his throwing ability in the slightest. He uses those gloves for a little extra grip since his fingers are so tiny.

The concern is fumbling. You’ve got the guy with the smallest hands in the history of the NFL touching the ball every single offensive snap

2 Likes

I really hope we dont go with pickett

Any chance he’ll be playing against better teams in the NFL?