5 reasons the Detroit Lions may not live up to offseason hype

3 Likes

Rumors, lies, and propaganda!

1 Like

Injuries may be the only valid one on the list.

I think the overall points made in articles like this, can be said of every team.

I’m enjoying myself. Do I understand that things may not go the way I want??? Oh course I do. I’m a Fing Lions fan.

2 Likes

I suggest a 6 week den suspension, just like Jamo for sharing this article.

3 Likes

They should have mentioned the refs.

1 Like

I propose letting Sewell “accidentally” hit a ref once per half.

As said earlier in the thread, this can be said about most NFL teams.

If Patrick Mahomes gets injured on opening day, the Chiefs are probably not making the playoffs.

You can only go by realistic expectations based on history. History suggests players in their 2nd season typically perform better than their 1st season. May that not be the case 20% of the time? Sure, but unless there are obvious red flags you can’t tell who may or may not take a leap in their 2nd year or potentially regress.

This is clearly a pessimistic take. There have been plenty of overly optimistic takes as well, including my own. Realistic expectations based off last seasons progress, expected contributions from new additions and young player development are a 10-11 win season and a playoff berth. Ideally that playoff berth results in winning a playoff game as well.

Anything more is exceeding realistic expectation and anything less is underperforming. Depending on circumstance (Goff missing 8+ games for instance), the coaching staff needs to be held accountable for anything less.

1 Like

not an accident if it happens over and over , besides we would probably lose Sewell for some time—no thanks.

Oh common Wolf, let Sewell go full Terry Tate on a few refs.

3 Likes

I dont know after the 2014 season where the Lions went 11-5 and should have won the division hopes were high. Crazy high and the Lions backed it up with a 7-9 season. Many of their offseason moves failed.

They drafted Laken Thomlinson, Ameer Abdullah, and Alex Carter in the first 3 rounds.

Was AA an upgrade over Reggie Bush?

They resigned Levy and everyone thought he would lead our defense along with Mathis.

But we sucked.

I’m still having flashbacks

2 Likes

But we lost arguably the best player on the team that offseason. The defense fell off a cliff without Suh

4 Likes

I don’t know, man. Some refs are awesome.

5 Likes

Such a legendary commercial

I’m not thinking it’s going to be all roses, over the years I have learned to use caution when it comes to this team the entire team has to gel and play well together as a whole productive core and stay healthy , for greatness. I expect a few hiccups.

It’s not ridiculous to think that the offense could falter a little bit. Happens every year to someone…

1 Like

Happened to McVay and the Rams in our 2018 Superbowl run and among other times during his tenure. As fans we think they’ll just keep getting better and better and often times that isn’t the case. Good coaches however will adjust accordingly. I think Ben Johnson is great so I would assume that he will. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be rough patches. One of my biggest McVay compliments is that he doesn’t adjust quickly enough and at times lacks self-awareness.

2 Likes

That draft pick was doomed to fail before it ever happened. Before the draft, I railed on and on about Abdullah’s fumbling problem in college. Sure enough, AA fumbled 5 times his rookie season, losing 4 of them. There were times when his playing time was dramatically reduced and he was benched because of it. That was a self-inflicted wound that could’ve been avoided.

Gibbs is not only a much better player, but he doesn’t come with a major built-in problem.

2 Likes

jeff bridges opinion GIF

Abdullah had 23 total fumbles (16 lost) over his four-year career, per CBS Sports.

A red flag for a RB if there ever was one.

1 Like