6 Lions players with most to prove following 2024 NFL Draft

At 5’11" 216 lbs, Craig Reynolds isn’t “small.”

No mention of likely 5th CB Moseley pushing Dorsey and/or Vildor completely off the roster.

If Moseley is healthy he will push both off roster IMO. I think they are wrong about Vaki if you watch his games he is a good safety who if he plays mainly that an ST he is a major part of team.
If he stays at Safety as his main position he will only improve. I like him at safety an ST think of how he can be used as a threat on STs to throw ,run or go for a pass. Then he is a very good tackler also.

We have RBs after are main two we right now have two safety’s an we wonder about the third on roster now. With Vaki you would have one that we know will tackle an can still serve as emergency O player.

1 Like

Sioni Vaki tested and was listed as a running back at the combine. He was announced as a running back by Detroit. But he’s just a “football player“ and has the ability to fill multiple roles at some point. Where he plays is TBD.

1 Like

It is interesting given that we could probably use his contributions at safety.

1 Like

Sorsdal plays Guard and Tackle, and spent last season on the 53 man. One could reasonably argue that he is a better backup OT than Nelson was.
Awosika plays Guard, and was brought up in emergency situations, but, is a PS player.
Nothing to see here.
Manu takes Matt Nelsons spot, but, nothing else changes.

I haven’t looked at PFF or anything but I thought awosika played well in his chances during end of season.

Data could totally prove my eyes wrong though.

IIRC, the opening 53 had 23 players on offense the last 2 seasons. If that happens again, how many OL players will they carry?

I think it will be 25 on offense and defense.
The odd number last year was because of roster gymnastics with a few players that were injured.
The NFL changed the rule and now allows 2 players to be placed on Reserve List Designated for Return on final cut day.
Previously they had to be on final roster to be able to return.

I hadn’t heard of that change. It sounds significant in roster construction, so I’ll check it out. Roster stashing, here we come.

For most of the Campbell/Holmes tenure we’ve carried 8 OL. There’s no reason to carry any more since OL don’t rotate like DL in games, if everything does to plan then 1 backup OL plays a little in the jumbo package and the other 2 don’t play at all. Carrying a 9th would be a waste of a roster spot.

GioMan might be last year’s Steven Gilmore, who played very few snaps last year, yet stayed on the 53 all year because of his potential. I think 9 is a real possibility.

1 Like

They can still get a FA safety. Some good ones were waiting to see what happened in the draft.

Half the NFL went to Manu’s pro day. Lions will lose him if they put him on practice squad, so who are the 3 backups?

Aren’t teams allowed to protect a couple of players on the PS each week?

I think Lions carry 9 O-Line.
The 5 starters, Sorsdal, Manu, and Mahogany are virtual locks for the roster.
Manu is athletic and would probably do a better job executing Skipper’s motion / pulling 6th lineman.
I’m not sure if you can count on Sorsdal / Manu as quality backup tackles so it’s hard to cut Skipper.
Also, Awosika outplayed Sorsdal and started in the playoffs.
Competition is good. More talent makes it more likely that Holmes keeps 9.

1 Like

All eyes on Jamo. We need him to bust out. Seems they want to feature him with how the roster is composed currently. Really need the kid to thrive.

1 Like

If the nfc championship is any indicator he will

1 Like