A closer look at Goff's 2019 stats

While reading another recent thread, a reference was made to Goff throwing INTs.
This was became a narrative that the media reported was one of the reasons that McVay was ready to move on from Goff.

Then I read a post from @Doctor_Love (and originally from @3rdRGR ) that mentioned how unlikely a team is to make the playoffs without a decent defense or rushing offense.

And I then remembered that the 2019 Rams were not particularly effective running the ball, and their defense was not all that effective either. The 2019 Rams ranked 26th in rushing yards. The defense was ranked 17th in scoring defense, and 13th in yards allowed.

Then I remembered that Goff’s highest INT total in a season was 16 INTs in 2019.
However, I also thought about the fact that he threw for 4638 yards (3rd in NFL) on 626 attempts.

And I wondered… how many QBs that throw the ball ~40 times per game throw less INTs???

So I checked it out. Here are the most pass attempts in a single season.

Goff’s 626 attempts is one of only 31 times that a QB has thrown 625+ passes in a year.
Most of these seasons were turned in by pro-bowl (or even Hall of Fame) caliber QBs.

And I checked to see how many times these QBs threw LESS than 15 INTs in those seasons.

2020 – Ryan threw 11 INT (fyi GOAT Brady threw 12 INTs on 610 pass attempts)
2015 – Rivers (13) and Brees (11)
2014 – Ryan threw 14.
2013 – Peyton (10), Brees (12), and Brady (11).
2012 – Brady threw only 8 INTs.
2011 – Brees had 14 INTs.

Only 9 times has a QB thrown <15 INTs … out of 31 seasons… when attempting 625+ attempts.
Quick side note: Brees and Peyton each threw 15+ INTs in 9 seasons of their careers!!!
Peyton threw 15+ INTs in 4 of his final 6 seasons.

Brady’s 2012 season is the ONLY year a QB threw 625+ times and had <10 INTs!!!

I think this shows a little different perspective of the 2019 season for Goff.
He may not have been great that season, but I think he is also taking way too much criticism when that season is compared to QBs with similar passing attempts.

3 Likes

That was a weird season. The OL had frequent injuries. Goff was having to throw a millions times because Gurley wasn’t getting more than 50 yards a game.

McVay looked a little shell shocked still from the 2018 Super Bowl loss.

2 Likes

Good grief… a hell of a lot has to go wrong with your team to have Blake Bortles throwing the ball 625 times in a season.

5 Likes