A long list of all the times we were wrong about Jared Goff

3 Likes

The diss wheel was real my friends. He proved every wedge wrong.

6 Likes

At the end of the day. Goff is clearly a top half QB in this league.

Outside of Mahomes and Burrow, I am not sure there are QBs that are clearly better. What you end up with discussion of different strengths and weaknesses. But I would also say that in that list, most would have about the same level of success with this Lions offense that Goff has had. Realize that I view Allen as a guy who may never win it all due to his Farve like behaviors. And Herbert has won nothing. Lamar is fun to watch but again can he win the big games?

I will say that one guy that has my serious interest and respect is Stroud. I am very curious if he can duplicate last season. The off season of study of his play will reveal if he had clear tendencies or if he is just the next great QB.

Anyway, even Stafford for all his greatness would be about the same in this offense as Goff IMO. You have like 13 other QBs that would be about the same.

Well outside of Dak, whom I think is the most overrated QB not named Watson or Murray.

For those wondering here is my list of top 16:

Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar, Allen, Goff, Stafford, Prescott, Purdy, Stroud, Tua, Love, Hurts, Lawrence, Herbert, Rogers, G Smith

I left off Cousins and Mayfield. But you could pull Geno off if you would like. But the point is that is most peoples top 16ish. And all of them are being paid or will be paid similar money (outside of Purdy IMO).

2 Likes

I wonder. The overall results might be similar, but Goff thrives with accuracy–St Brown and LaPorta would be less productive under Stafford–and Stafford threatens every corner of the field in ways that Goff never will.

I sniped some at Goff early on when he twice threw the ball away on 4th downs, but was steadfast in waiting for 2 years before judging him because his contract made this leash was at least that long. Like everyone else, I thought I was fooled again by the Lions when we were 1-6 in 2022. And then…everything that Danimal and Brad foretold happened!!!

1 Like

And this is the struggle.

Goff is truly almost the last unicorn in my list of 16. He is a Peyton/Brady mold QB. Same arm, same approach, same anti-mistake mindset. Actually I would suggest Brady and Peyton would take more calculated risks than Goff.

For Goff to get any respect he will only be measured by wins. Imagine the opinion of either Brady or Peyton if neither ever won a SB. Especially Brady. He is the ultimate winner but he has never been a sexy QB. Actually rather boring most of the time. He was a master at squeezing the life out of the 4th quarter. Dude would run a 8 minute drive that had 3 first downs and a punt.

3 Likes

Good take.

Well the need to win and comparison to Brady is not all mine…hehehehhe

Someone else summed it up nicely somewhere else and I am now owning that shit.

1 Like

Mahomes.
Burrows has a huge weakness. His body. He’s right there with Tua. The next hit could end his career.

1 Like

Yeah I usually put “healthy Burrow”

His body is an issue

1 Like

Sometimes I refer to Jared as Gumby Goff to highlight his weird ability to avoid getting crushed and injured in the pocket. He knows he can’t scramble, so he throws the ball away early when the play is doomed. And he somehow yields and bends and absorbs hits to minimize injuries. A couple weeks ago I heard Robert Mays compare him to Gumby for those reasons too.

6 Likes

If Goff can take us to 2 SB’s and get one SB win, think of this, he could be HOF with the numbers being put up. Kind of surreal thinking that.

6 Likes

Just be thankful Goff has no off field issues or isn’t a foot shorter, because the Lions would have been forced to pay him much more to out bid Cleveland and Arizona.

3 Likes

Sure but he will be in the game-managers wing

1 Like

They’ll make a foot bridge just for him.

2 Likes

If we don’t get Goff in the Stafford trade then we would still be rebuilding.

6 Likes

That changes so many things, do we have sewell, do we have Hutch etc etc.

1 Like

I would want to say yes, but we probably would have drafted a QB with one of them. Looking back now it’s hard to believe Holmes pulled that off.

1 Like

Yr welcome.

2 Likes

It was pure genius

I knew all along, took grief but hey it’s all good now :smile:

4 Likes