A running back being drafted in the first round would be a major upset

Not that unusual most recent years:

2023: Bijan at 8; Gibbs at 12; Charbonnet at 52

2022: Breece Hall at 36; Ken Walker at 42: James Cook at 63

2021: N Harris at 24; T Etienne at 25; Javonte W at 35

2020: CEH at 32; D Swift at 35; J Taylor at 41; cam Akers at 52; Dobbins at 55; AJ Dillon at 62

This is more about this year’s class than anything else. There’s no elite guy like Gibbs or Bijan at the top, so it’s easy to predict none will go in the 1st. The whole draft community has predicting it for 5 months.

There will be plenty of guys go between rounds 2-4 and some will probably pan out.

2 Likes

As did De’Von Achane in Rd 3.

And there’s an undrafted Keaton.Mitchell every once in awhile.

1 Like

Well I had Achane as a 1st rounder (not so humble brag, though I also had him ahead of Gibbs which doesn’t look like it’s gonna be true), and think he’d be the runaway top pick in this class. He got pushed down by the depth of last year’s class. Still probably wouldn’t go in the 1st though.

But didn’t you prefer Achane as a slot WR.

Shhhh. I preferred him. That’s what matters.

1 Like

What’s funny is a lot of us really, really liked him coming into his Junior year. Like in a, “you thought Spiller was nice check out this kid.” And then A&M completely came off the tracks, group think kicked in and everyone moved on.

I do think it is also crucial that he went to the absolute perfect fit. Not saying he wouldn’t be a great playmaker elsewhere but I doubt it would be the same.

No doubt going there helped him immensely, but I think he thrives in any offense running that Shanny zbs. Maybe he doesn’t have the space Tyreek and Waddle afforded him, but averaging 6 YPC instead of 8+ or whatever crazy number he had would still be great.

We are set up for BPA. If a RB is the best player on Brad’s board when we pick, we WILL pick that RB, and Brad and Dan will be high fiving while many here piss, moan, and cry.
That said, I don’t see that guy.
But, if it happens, remember, Gibbs, Campbell, LaPorta, Branch, and Hooker.

If the Lions draft another RB round 1 to join Monty and Gibbs… that’ll be the end of the den.

the grudge horror GIF

1 Like

Yeah, but, what if the plan is to make Gibbs, JRey’s replacement?
He could be the #3 WR, and could do returns, and, he’d be a hell of a emergency RB.

Like a full time WR? He might be the most electric RB in the nfl… especially the 2nd half of last season he really came on strong. I do think we use him more in the passing game next year though. Drops were a real problem for him last year…Hopefully he’s working on that.

I don’t think you’re looking at the big picture.

Don’t get me wrong here…I expect us to use Gibbs all over the field. But I’d be shocked if he’s not getting 10 carries a game. Something like 10 to 12 carries and 5 catches per game. 15 to 17 touches per game.

1 Like

Yep, you missed the big picture.
The one where I was screwing with you guys looking to see who would take the bait, first.:rofl:

I had a feeling…:joy:

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

I thought maybe you were just losing it in old age so I was trying to be nice.

Nah! Just bored.:laughing:

I thought maybe you were eating magic mushrooms again…

Happy Magic Mushrooms GIF by SUR

Nah. You get the same brain benefits from Lionsmane, without losing your mind.

1 Like