Aaron Rodgers/Green Bay Drama, Let's Keep It Here

Aw, cry me a F’ing river. We had Barry Sanders, and only ever won one PLAYOFF game.
I will NOT feel bad for the Packers and their “only 1” world championship.

1 Like

Um, my post was clearly referring the QB situation. I mean, it couldn’t be more obvious.

Not sure how you missed that.

I don’t feel bad for them. It was in reference to how the front office of the Packers should be viewed vs how they probably view themselves. In their eyes they have a bunch of winning seasons, division titles and playoff wins. That’s being successful in their eyes. But they have Jordan. The fact that theyy only got to the Super Bowl once with Jordan is how they should be viewing their mistakes.

And yes…Barry is a good example. Except everyone knows we screwed that up. The Packers and other people actually think they’ve done a good thing rather than screwing it up.

1 Like

I see this much… much differently than most.

Super Bowls- 1 win, also 1 appearance

Playoff record- 11-9

I’m certainly not advocating that GB is better off without him, but mayyyyybe?

At this stage he’s wanting to run the asylum and it’s an ego driven bus he’s chartering.

In the past 4 years he’s thrown more than 26 tds just once, and that was last years revenge tour.

He balled out in 12’ and got a huge extension. The. In 16-17’ was killing it before an injury mid 17’ that would have led him toward UFA, and got another huge extension.

Struggled for 3 years and then the revenge tour and now this.

The Packers can’t really afford to pay him the 45M the next 3-4 years he wants with most guaranteed, and expect health through 41. They’d be tied to extending a new deal to Davante who wants 20M plus a year and turns 29 in December.

I wouldn’t give record deals to a 37 year old QB and 28 year old WR who both have birthdays mid 21’ season. They have 65MM a year in dead cap for 1-2 years. So it would basically be sacrifice the next 3-5 years for a 1 maybe 2 year window, but they also have other top players they’d be letting go of on the D and drafting late to replace them.

If they were smart they would have trade Davante for a 1st, months ago, and traded Rodgers for 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd.

They’d have had 41M in dead cap, but 54M in 21’ savings so they’d have had 13M this year alone to sign guys. A few WRs, Fitzmagic, and hope Love pans out… then the most cap room in the league next year and 2 years of insane draft capital.

Bottom line Rodgers has become toxic, he’s fairly old and injury prone, and with the Bucs and Chiefs around, the Pack wouldn’t be favorites anyway.

They should have traded him before the draft to Denver and taken Fields and let he and Love battle it out

1 Like

Well, you have my vote for the new GM of Green Bay…

1 Like

GB has been to the NFC Championship the last two years and it’s been pretty much on the shoulders of Rodgers. Being a lions fan and hating GB I really hope they take your advice. That roster would be at best 8-8 without him and probably more like 6-10. He gives them a legitimate chance at a SB and he’s worth every penny.

2 Likes

The problem is we are discussing a guy many of us hate, playing on a team all of us hate… we want them to fail. It’s easy to criticize the team for not taking care of “Jordan” but it’s not that simple.

The packers have zero cap room right now…

Next year the Jaime Alexander, A Amos, A Jones, the Smith Brothers, K Clark and Baktiari cost a combined 125MM plus in cap hits just in 2022

They have “98MM” in dead money between them though.

That is 7 guys for 125MM…

Those same 7 guys will count 55MM this year!!!

So ya, they can give their HOF (but aging QB ) and stud WR “record money” but they are already 40MM over that cap next year with Erins current deal.

Imagine adding 5-10M more for Rodgers and even a year 1 hit of say 10M for Adam’s who currently won’t be under contract at all despite the 40M over.

1 Like

Now take everything you just said and apply it back to the Michael Jordan analogy. With all of those constraints…instead of using a 1st round pick to actually help the team at an affordable cost…they chose to use that resource on Michael Jordan’s replacement 2-3 years down the road and that guy won’t play while Jordan is there. How does that make sense?

There is only 1 real answer. It doesn’t. And to make it even worse Love is the only skill position player they’ve drafted since Aaron Rodgers. So they have decided not to allocate the resources to help Rodgers but will use the same resources to try to replace him.

Please proceed.

5 Likes

Or… it could be that in 2018 and 2019 Aaron Rodgers was making pretty great money (30MM in 19’) for about 4200 yards and 25.5 tds per year. One losing, one winning record.

This following his 7 game 2017 season, and nagging injuries in 18’ and 19’… The Packers see decline in health and production at age 35-36… they see an out of his contract in 22’…

In 20’ the draft love the same way that drafted Rodgers when Favre started to show decline. Only in Erins case he was motivated by ego and anger and balled out in 20’. He could have just as easily gotten hurt, or had another 4,100 yard season with 25 tds and nobody would doubt the move.

Rodgers will never win another conference title, let alone Super Bowl again. Book that!

The Packers drafted Love to replace Rodgers. Then Rodgers chose to play at the level he’s capable of, and the idea of trading him would have seemed insane to fans.

Yet had he played like he did in 18’, nobody would have care.

I mean… I guess I can’t argue with the logic that, in a world where Aaron Rodgers sucked, nobody would care if the franchise treated him like hot garbage.

In this world, however, where he’s been one of the best football players on the planet for more than a decade and turned in an MVP performance literally last year, I’d suggest it’s entirely appropriate to think Green Bay’s GM and president are total jackasses for how they’ve handled this.

5 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more, but that’s okay.

If our new GM and HC prove competent, the new NT ( McNeill) and 2 more potential impact players to be drafted in 2022 and 2023 will be making a combined 5M per year, and doing so alongside a then to be 28 year old QB with SB experience and PB level play. All that for a 33 year old QB with an injury plagued recent past.

Russ Wilson is in virtually the same spot. Some issues with front office, doesn’t feel appreciated or supported. Wants more $$

That OL? That D? Picking low and no cap room for the next two years as their running QB inches toward 35?

Again- I’m sure I’m the idiot.

However if I were Cleveland I would offer a monster extension to Baker, but keep the cap hit down for next year years as low as possible. Max out window with Chubb, Landry, Hunt, Garett, OL etc.

Brady stopped worrying about “his pay” a long time
ago. Made it about the team pay. Let’s not forget the drafting of Jimmy G a few picks later than Love years ago. Brady handled it like a grown up though.

Teams only have so much $$$ and so many magic beans, and those are the only two resources to build a team. Once you combine drafting late 20s every round, and paying 20% of the cap just to the QB, you start have depleted resources to fill the other 21 starters.

That’s why I loved the Stafford trade so much. We got younger and healthier at the same price point, and with extra years. Keep in mind 30M a year for a top half QB will prove a steal in a year when 4-5 guys are making 35, and even 40M plus… we have lots of picks, potentially high picks, and if Goff isn’t the guy, we will free up money.

J Allen, Mayfield, L Jax, maybe Murray (not sold yet) all have 3-4 year windows with some solid “young” talent around them. 1-2 more cheap years, and then an extension with a front friendly cap hit. Those are teams waiting in the wings for TB12 to end his dynasty.

Mahomes- he’s a flat out stud. He’s also 2 years away from breaking his teams salary cap. Chiefs will be drafting 30-32 the next 2 years while hill and Kelce hit 30 and 33, with little money and sparse picks to replace them.

Tom Brady gives the illusion that having a HoF QB for 10-15 years plus gives you the chance to win 2-4 titles. Only TB will be the last guy to do that. Too many players want new deals mid contract. Too many key injuries. Lev Bells and ABs blow up teams that have a chance.

To be clear I don’t judge or blame them. It’s their right and their life.

I just think nfl teams get 3-5 year windows no matter who their QB is now. It’s either stud QB with dynamic young WRs and RBs, or stud WRs and Other key players with a rookie deal QB.

Teams can’t afford 40M QBs and 20M WRs to support them. Not if they want an OL or D… it’s just math

I hope GB can’t find a QB worth a damn for the next 40 years.

1 Like

You keep blowing up your own case. This is why it’s so stupid to blow the resources they did on a backup QB who won’t see the field for 2-3 years.

It’s just math.

Neil Degrasse Tyson Mic Drop GIF by The Nightly Show

1 Like

Its almost like Jerry Krause drafting Harold Miner and saying “Baby Jordan” won’t be a distraction “wink wink”

1 Like

Which is why they drafted Bill Wennington and BJ Armstrong and Stacey King…non-threats

1 Like

Among the many reasons I think you’re crazy, and there really are many, I think you’re crazy to believe that this is all about money. This is about Aaron Rodgers wanting to have some say in how he ends his Hall of Fame career. Or at the very least, have some confidence that his front office will make an effort to do right by him in that respect, which they’ve telegraphed they have no intention of doing.

The 40 mil per year figure is an “eff you” bid, the kind of price you quote somebody you don’t want to work for. It’s a statement that he doesn’t trust these guys as far as he could throw them. If it was about money, and he had a good relationship with the front office, he would sign a long-term extension with a much lower cap hit. But he’s clearly not willing to play for these douchebags anymore, and I don’t blame him.

2 Likes

It’s not a “case” it’s an opinion. A guy we call “Erin” and Diva and whatever else, has always been just that.

He’s no less douche because his front office botched this.

A 35-36 year old QB who was getting banged up 2-3 years in a row, and coming off 2 statistically WAY DOWN years, like 25 and 26 tds in back to back years was pretty close to done in the eyes of his team.

He pushed McCarthy out of town, initially fought the power with LaFleur and again was slowing in production while struggling to stay healthy in 17, 18, and 19… they drafted a QB in 20’ directly after Erin struggling a 3rd year in a row. They made the playoff run off dynamite D and a run game in 19’.

Erin clearly had it left in the tank, he showed it last year, which is what probably made 18-19’ more frustrating.

Say what you want but giving him 150m almodu all guaranteed, paying his buddy Adams top wideout money, and being 60M over the cap next year does what?

Causes them to cut half the team, most of the D? And in 2 years have what? Remember the guy has already trucked 1, now 2 head coaches and a GM.

It does more than drafting a backup QB in the 1st round.

Unless the team believed Rodgers was done and Love wasn’t drafted to be the backup, but rather the 2021 starter?

So what’s all the fuss about? Get rid of Rodgers and move on to Love for 2021. I’m glad we agree.

2 Likes