Aaron Rodgers Loves Everything...still wont commit

He can’t be traded until the start of the league year (remember Stafford/Goff), so the Packers have to be under the cap before the start of the league year, with Rodgers and Adams on the roster . . . Ingalls shows that it’s going to be hard pressed to do . . . very hard pressed.

As for the extension, he wacked off a year, so I’m not sure how accommodating Rodgers would be to doing an extension.

In Ingalls analysis, he is cutting veterans Za’Darius Smith, Randall Cobb, Mercedes Lewis and Mason Crosby and he’s still short of getting under the cap . . . and that’s with doing 12 extensions, simple restructures (provided all 12 agree to take one for the team).

I think keeping Rodgers and Davante Adams is an absolute pipe dream. I don’t see them keeping either player as I don’t think they’ll be able to franchise Adams and get under the cap, so that they can trade Rodgers at the start of the league year.

1 Like

Hopefully that’s the case! I think I’m still traumatized from everyone getting my hopes up that Rodgers and Adams would sit out this season.

Did he take the $26 mil cap jump in 2022 into account?

How the hell is that dude still in the league? He’s been playing forever.

1 Like

He’s like playing his best ball too. :joy:

Having Erin as your quarterback will do that.

Either that or he’s the Frank Gore of TEs. lol

1 Like

Thanks for those uplifting words,Deadstroke.

I’m going to ignore my deeply seated fears and believe!! The salary cap will save us!! Love IS the answer to my selfish prayers!!

2 Likes

They did that so Rodgers would come back this past year. Rodgers mentioned he is open to staying and there have been multiple reports that if he does stay he wants a high dollar extension.

So, in our view, it’s up to the Packers to move quickly to make Rodgers the kind of offer that inherently reflects both an understanding of the market and an appreciation of what Rodgers has done and will continue to do for the franchise. Money talks. Money speaks volumes. And the money that the Packers do or don’t offer Rodgers — coupled with the structure of the package — could go a long way toward convincing Rodgers whether he does or doesn’t want to stay.

There’s no owner in Green Bay to Scrooge away the profits. Everything goes back to the team. And with millions in money for nothing currently flowing through the cash register via the ongoing non-stock stock sale, the Packers have the ability to make Rodgers the highest-paid player in football, with true and firm guarantees toward that end, for two or more seasons.

Per PFT

his exercise routine???

I am glad you jumped in on this @DeadStroke.

I was going to make a similar point. I think the odds are very low that he’s back. To be honest I think GB loses both Rogers and Adams this offseason.

I am sure he will get traded. But I’m not sure GB will get top trade dollars for him. I think there are far fewer options for Rogers to go to and teams know GB is over the barrel.

This is why I’m advocating to give Goff a legitimate shot to be our starter. Goff and Cousins are similar players and Goff has room to go. We may just have the best QB situation in our division heading into 2022. That makes us a contender to win the division if we can adequately plug some major holes.

2 Likes

Rogers won’t want to return to a depleted team as well.

GB will likely be doing some restructuring this offseason but I think they lose both Adams and Rogers and look to get younger

1 Like

I sure hope you guys are right! Trade Rodgers to the AFC and bring Adams to the Lions!

I just hope they are looking at this objectively, and not as Lions fans. My bet is still on both of them being back and making our lives hell for 3-4 more seasons.

If Rodgers has changed his mind over the season and is now willing to accept an extension, this is all moot. They’ll both be back if that’s the case, and then my fellow lions fans can continue to fantasize about having the best QB situation in the NFC North. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I’d bet big money it doesn’t happen.

So, using OTC’s, cap calculator. If you franchise Adams, extend Rodgers (give him $40M in cash ($38M signing and $2M base salary and add 4 void years, it’s a $18M cap savings), give RFA Lazzard a 2nd round tender, give all ERFA a tender . . . the Packers would be $50M over the cap. If they cut M Lewis and M Crosby and do simple restructures and add maximum void years to save as much against the cap for ALL veteran players (including Rodgers, but not Adams), they would be about $16M under the cap . . . this would probably be enough to sign rookies, some vet min guys and cover IR during the season.

It is extremely tight for the Packers and they need everyone to buy in (winning Super Bowl would help). This would be cap gymnastics at it’s maximum level and would put Howie (Philly), Les Snead (LA Rams) and Khai Harley (Saints) to shame.

1 Like

Thank you for laying this all out! Honestly, your take is is more reasonable than mine. A lot of mine is based on pessimism haha.

This concept is so weird to me. Can you add as many void years as you want?

You can add as many as you want, but you can only prorate signing bonus out for 5 years. So if we sign Devante Adams to a one year contract for $31M, it would be a cap hit of $31M. If we sign Devante Adams to a 5 year contract with the last 4 being void years and pay him a $1M base salary and a $30M signing bonus, it would be a cap hit of $7M in 2022 with $6M allocated to years 2023-2026 and if we don’t sign Adams to an extension and let him walk after 2022 season, we’d have $7M cap hit in 2022, and $24M dead cap hit in 2023 when his contract voids . . . same $31M, just spread out over two years.

1 Like

I’m praying I come back and here and say you guys were right after the offseason! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Just some background that I know about Ken Ingalls (I don’t know him personally, just followed him on twitter forever), but he knows more about the salary cap than I do and he definitely knows more about the Packers cap situation.

If they do keep Rodgers and Adams, they are going to lose a lot of quality players.

1 Like

R

When “full commit”-

…is not the best decision.

I wonder what was going through Rodgers head during that moment?