Aaron Rodgers: Night is darkest before the dawn, I shall rise yet again

You know, the guy (Erin) is so easy to hate. That statement just screams pompous ass. Dude, you throw a football for a living, that doesn’t instantly transform you into some kind of historical philosopher. Take that darkness and dawn and shove it right up your ass. In fact, shove Tony Orlando and Dawn, right up your ass as well.

4 Likes

He needs to find some soul that turdblossom can grow in. Then he can ride again.

Yes I get that his life is so dark. The gods have truly punished him.

This is gonna get me panned but I’m gonna root so hard for him in his comeback. I’m a total sucker for redemption stories and this has a chance to be an all timer. Plus I have connections to and like the Jets.

1 Like

The hate around gets to a stupid point. I mean he didn’t say anything wrong. Trying to have a upbeat attitude in a case like this is what you want.

piss-in-the-wind

3 Likes

He’s almost as detached from reality as his ankle is from his calf.

3 Likes

I’m not going to wish ill upon someone trying to make a comeback, unless it’s a rapist or murderer trying to get out of prison so they can go rape and murder some more.

But I’ll save my soul the bother of rooting for Aaron Rodgers. Too many struggling others in the world who deserve compassion. As for AR, it’s strictly “is what it is” when it comes to his fate.

Look, this is not a redemption story. This is a narcissist sitting in his sh*t. This is what often happens to self-absorbed pricks. The Packers are better off without him, clearly, in every single way. And so would the Jets be if they had chosen to invest in another elite QB and not Rodgers. He’s costing the Jets in every single way. Costing them a season in their SB window, costing them cap space and two second-round picks. He’s going to be 42 and even more brittle than he is now.

For Jets fans, this is Greek tragedy-type stuff. They got in bed with Rodgers and this is their fate. Now they have to spend an entire year with a backup QB and then wonder if Rodgers is the best plan going forward. And in their guts they will know it just might NOT be. Wow. What a cluster. They should be prepping to find another QB right now. Instead they are stuck with the Aaron Rodgers show ad infinitum. Eff that guy. I don’t care either way. Don’t hate him, just totally sick of his self-absorbed ass.

And Aaron, no. It’s not darkest just before the dawn. Ask those who were sent to the gas chambers in the Holocaust. It is not even technically true - the night is not really darker before the dawn, it’s a myth. And what, he’s rising like a Phoenix? Or is he Achilles from the myth and so can blame his mother for not completely immersing his body in the River Styx?

Yes, you’re a hero of mythic proportions, Aaron. The Jets should cut ties with him and find someone else - but they can’t. Oh boy. Can’t wait to see how he holds the Jets and their fans hostage for the next many months and beyond. What a mess.

4 Likes

Not mutually exclusive though the second seems unnecessarily cruel to a human being sitting at a low point but maybe Aaron did something to you personally. Surely what we’ve seen via media coverage could not generate that degree of animosity. Or could it?

2 Likes

There is little animosity. And what there is is a result of overexposure to AR’s ego and his drama queen persona. I don’t get the choice to easily avoid his nonsense as a fan of the NFL. He’s made damn sure of that. But I don’t have to root for him. I don’t care. And maybe I’ve had too much personal experience with narcs in real life to be willing to suffer this fool who happens to be a talented athlete. Shrug.

1 Like

Here’s where we differ. Outside of my personal rooting interests what I look for in sports is storylines. As I said, I’m a sucker for redemption and yes, this would be quite the redemption story if he comes all the way back and the Jets make a run.

I also am starting to realize more and more that it’s not so black and white with Aaron. I just heard the Athletic’s Green Bay packers beat writer (before the game) say that he’s never had a player treat him as well and as graciously as Aaron Rodgers. He’s a complex guy. He’s bright. He’s talented. And he knows it. So yes you do get an heaping of unsavory grandiose ego elements as well.

I see Favre as a bad human being. I don’t see that with Aaron. I see a lot of inner conflict. I see someone who’s intellect and disposition isn’t well fit for his chosen profession. I see someone who holds grudges (and uses them as motivation). He’s deeply, deeply flawed but so am, I so I’m not going to lambaste him for that.

I hated Aaron Rodgers for one reason and one reason only. Bc he made us our bitches.

5 Likes

I totally grant that he’s bright and can be charming in spite of himself. But I also know his type all too well. It’s all calculated to get the response you’re having. In that sense, those who trust and believe in people like this often get burned the most.

I like storylines as well. I see his narrative arc very differently, it seems. And if he comes back and wins a SB for the Jets, well I’ll have to give him full marks for that as a sports fan. But I’ve reached peak Rodgers, personally. Don’t care if he comes back or not. Do feel bad for Jets fans, though.

1 Like

He does this to everyone who continues to trust him. Gave Packers fans a SB in 2010 and then made them his bitches for many years. Now he’s made the Jets and their fans his bitches. And on it goes.

2 Likes

@Jah26 @CuriousHusker That exchange is worthy of The Athletic.

I’m closer to the Bad Favre because I’m happy that the Pack only gets the Jets 2nd round pick in 2024. Having said that, I do have some admirable human attributes, somewhere, I think… :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

LOL, he’s still burning the Packers. And will likely burn the Jets for a few more years too.

I’m going to pass on commenting further on this.

/rodgers

animation domination lol GIF by gifnews

It’s the Ayahausca.

is he a vampire now?

1 Like

I’ve heard multiple national athletes and writers say in interviews, and once or twice in person, that you can pretty much just flip your impressions of guys based on how they act with the media. Terrell Suggs is an example. He could be prickly and standoffish with the media but everyone swears by him as a human being. I remember about ten years ago @wesleysh21 talked about a party he was at years prior in Scottsdale. I recall that he was buddies with Nathan Poole who at the time played on the Cardinals. Not sure if that was his in. But anyways, it was some ritzy club and lots of VIPs were there and he had interactions with amongst others Amare Stoudemire (at the peak of his powers and T-Sizzle. He said Amare was the worst but T-Sizzle was just over the top kind, gracious and generous with everyone.

There are older more famous examples like Ali and Bill Russell where based off of interactions with the media you might think they were the worst but their commitment to social justice, equality and progress instead point to them being profoundly good human beings who understand the gravity of their position and feel an obligation to society to deliver a better reality for the vulnerable and disenfranchised.

Now of course Erin does not fall into that latter group. And he may not be at all like T-Suggs, though there are plenty stories suggesting he can be more like that than most believe.

I guess my primary point is that I intend to embrace the shades of gray. There are Mother Teresa’s out there. There are Ted Bundys out there. But the overwhelming majority of human beings are bundles of inner-conflict that struggle with bouts of hypocrisy. We’re all fallible but we deal with our fallibility differently. IMO Rodgers is more transparent than most so we see things that aren’t particularly admirable.

LOL, you know it.

They’ll be hanging on by a thread. (Ironic, isn’t it?)

He’s going to love it. He’ll be manifesting attention to himself for the next 12 months while pursuing rehab with some former Joe Rogan guest. I can see it now, Rodgers live at the Hookah Bar with his foot immersed in a fish tank filled with tiny little fish imparting their healing energy.