Adam Schein: Jahmyr Gibbs Could Lead NFL in RB Touchdowns

Chark > Marvin, but I don’t think the Lions had a real choice.

They had Jamo coming back (free agency was about 5 weeks before the suspension), and Chark wanted the opportunity to be the No. 1 WR (which he wasn’t going to be in Detroit, but had the opportunity to be in Carolina after Moore was traded).

Marvin’s a reliable stop-gap in case someone gets injured.

2 Likes

When Chark actually plays I agree, but Marvin has been very durable the past 3 years. Chark had ankle surgery again this offseason. In the last 3 years, Marvin has missed 1 game. Chark has missed over 20 games in the same 3 seasons.

1 Like

Yeah I would love to see what backs up that claim. Even if you take injuries out of it, Marvin is still better. The only thing thats true is Chark’s faster…that’s it.

Marvin Jones had a 56.8% catch percentage with 11.5 ypc on 46 receptions. 6 catches 20+ yards & 0 over 40 yards.

DJ Chark had a 57.7% catch percentage with 16.7 ypc on 30 receptions. 9 catches 20+ yards & 3 over 40 yards.

At least in 2022, Chark had a better, more explosive, season.

Dang that is explosive…no wonder he signed a massive deal in the offseason…

I said Marvin was = to Chark in my original post. Kind of pull ing hairs even if we are talking about ONLY 2022 and beyond.

But all good, if you want to believe Chark is better than Marvin moving forward I guess there’s merit to that due to Marvins age. But the Lions need reliable WRs which Chark isn’t.

Overall point, 2023 offense is better than the 2022 offense. Even without Jamo.

Had Chark qualified, he would’ve ranked 5th in the NFL in yards per catch:

So yeah, more explosive than Marvin Jones who is pretty much a possession WR these days.

1 Like

I saw an interesting stat when Hopkins was released a few days ago.

Only 2 players have had 500+ receiving yards in EACH of the previous 10 seasons.

Hopkins and Robert Woods.

Marv was close…. just missed a season….
but has reeled off 8 straight since…

1 Like

And this is why Chark is nothing special

Moved the goalpost.

The issue was/is Jones vs Chark.

It’s a near certainty that Chark will have a better season than Jones.

And, if Chark were on the Lions, he’d be more valuable than a 33 year old WR.

So, we will have to agree to disagree.

I really wanted to keep Chark but you have to wonder about his availability. He and Goff really got on the same page the second half of the season.

Where did I move the goalpost? Chark couldn’t get a real contract due to him being soft as baby ****. He is unreliable…that’s a fact. And there is nothing to support Chark is better or will have a better season than Marvin. Like I said, injuries aside, Marvin has outperformed Chark in his career…

I didn’t even say in my original post (that you made it a point to disagree with) that Marvin Jones was better than DJ Chark. I even called it a wash. And later I said due to Marvins age, Chark being better has merit.

I never moved the goalposts nor did I say your point was flat out wrong. Sure, agree to disagree then I guess.

edit
And just as a side note. Chark not qualifying due to not having the statistics to qualify proves he isn’t very productive and misses a lot of games. If you catch 3, 40 yard passes but only catch 30 passes total…you are gonna have an inflated ypc. Charks career yards per catch is 14.4. That’s what he should be judged on in terms of being explosive. His little 11 game, 30 catch sample size is just not significant enough to hang an argument on…IMO

Chark probably has another 35 catch, 525 yard season (to match his career averages). Marvin Jones probably has something close to that. Hence why I called it a wash

“And this is why Chark is nothing special?”

Who said he was?

The point was he was better than Jones in 2022 and it’s highly likely he will be better than the 33 year old Jones in 2023.

That is what i call that breaking bad blue meth!

They were already here from the Matty P regime.

You’re right, great point. Damn. My favorite coaches are actually from the Patricia regime - who would have guessed lol. Truthfully most of the guys that Campbell has brought in have failed. Wild.

1 Like

Having watched Bama in both 21 and 22. Jamo was quite a bit more a part of an explosive offense than Gibbs was. Just my opinion.

There was a few cuts of filet mignon among the hamburger helper.

Who failed outside of AP and Lynn? Maybe throw DeLeone in that mix as well?

Glenn did very well in 2021 with the talent he had. They were absolutely a joke to start last season, but Glenn really turned it around in the 2nd half. There has been a ton of young player development on defense as well.

Now he has the talent to have a top 15 defense. Barring major injury issues, his defense better produce this season.

Barry’s best season was 2,053 yards.
His highest TD total was 16.
They weren’t in the same year.
I’m high on Gibbs, but, it’s too early in the day for me to be that high.:rofl:

Agreed.

If you take D’Andre Swift’s 99 carries + Justin Jackson’s 42 carries, that’s 141 carries. Let’s say Gibbs gets a 150 carries and averages between 4.5 and 5.0 ypc. That’s a range of 675 to 750 yards rushing

If you take Swift’s 48 receptions and Jackson’s 12 receptions, that’s 60 receptions… Even at one of the highest levels (Tony Pollard had 9.5 ypr in 2022], that’s 570 yards receiving.

So, realistically, unless Gibbs takes away more carries from Montgomery and even if he has a 2015 Theo Riddick in his prime season receiving, which would equate to 760 yards on 80 receptions if the 9.5 ypr level is achieved, it seems highly unlikely that a rookie RB is going to eclipse 1500 total yards in year one when there is a productive veteran sitting ahead of him on the depth chart.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.