Adam Schein: Jahmyr Gibbs Could Lead NFL in RB Touchdowns

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/jahmyr-gibbs-could-lead-nfl-rb-touchdowns

4 Likes

I think Monty would get the share of goal line drives.

8 Likes

But it might be just goal-line….I think Schein is talking about home runs here

1 Like

I know Jamaal was well loved and respected both on the team and on here but we have two far more talented backs now. Barring injury it’ll be fun to see what Gibbs and Monty can do.

7 Likes

His value was his voice in the locker room….that will be missed. I don’t know if Monty is that guy but we saw it with Jamal.

2 Likes

Honolulu Blue would be a good name for an illicit narcotic. And Schein is on it. Love it!

3 Likes

Schein’s been on the Dan Campbell-Lions bandwagon for awhile:

1 Like

I don’t think he will lead the entire league in TD’s, he has to share the load here with other backs.

1 Like

I don’t know. 1,100 yards and 17 TD’s were pretty valuable.
I couldn’t have all been short yardage.

1 Like

I think asking any trio of RBs to eclipse 2,500 total yards and 27 TDs is quite an ask…

based on Gibbs college usage and frame, it’s hard to see him getting a ton more touches than Swift go, maybe 60 more per year?

We replaced Hock, Swift, Okudah, and Chark with… Laporta, Gibbs, Branch, and Jones Jr- I can see a few of these guys being better players and larger contributors than the prior group, but surely not all, and not right away…

We lost a LOT from last years offense, and pretending otherwise is optimistic at best

Yeah, this quote:

" While free-agent signee David Montgomery is a solid power back who could vulture some scores"

…shows how the author really doesn’t understand what our FO thinks of Montgomery. No mention of how much we paid him (14th highest-paid RB) and over the last six weeks of the 2020 season he led the NFL in yards from scrimmage. This is no mere power back. Just look at these numbers:

He’s gonna be a much bigger part of our offense than most pundits think he is. Saying that, I still think there will be enough touches to go around for Gibbs to have a fantastic season too, it’s just I think he might have more receiving yards than rushing yards.

5 Likes

Well, I’m not looking for the RB’s to get the 27 td production, I’m looking for the offense to replace the td’s not specifically the RB’s.

I believe I read recently that 17 of JW’s rushing TD’s came from within the RZ, 14 of them from within the 5yard line. So, I do believe this OL can repeat that rushing TD statistic from within the five yard line.

1 Like

Don’t disagree with that but I think his mentality had the bigger impact on the team and in the locker room….”Let the dogs eat and stay yo ass on the porch” kind of shit! :100:

2 Likes

I perused a Bears board after this happened to scout out DM. Some of the same things we were saying from a teammate and locker room guy perspective with Jamaal, a few of their guys were saying the same thing. Now to what extent DM was vs. Jamaal was I have no idea.

And he was very comfortable, relaxed and playful in his opening presser here. Just like Jamaal. I guess we will see as we get to see him more and I assume will talk more once training camp gets here.

On topic: Based on this team, I think it would be a very tall task for Gibbs to do this.

1 Like

Since the end of last season, they lost Chark, Williams, Swift and replaced them with Jones, Montgomery and Gibbs. They added LaPorta and lost nobody at Tight End. They lost Brown and added VaiTai and Glasgow. They’re going to add Jamo at some point.
What have they lost? Nevermind A LOT.
I do think Chark’s presence will be missed but that’s all I got.

I think you’re being a little pessimistic with your posts, I’ve seen it in a few threads.
There are a lot of overly optimistic posts around here to counterbalance that, to be fair. I just don’t see all this firepower that they lost on offense.

2 Likes

Yeah Montgomery’s not nearly as outspoken as Jamaal, he’s more of a lead by example kind of guy. Gibbs is the same, supposedly a very quiet guy.

But we have other guys who can stop into that rah-rah leadership role, we’ve already seen all the articles about Penei doing just that. Buggs, CJGJ, Sutton, ARSB, these are all voices that carry weight in the locker room.

1 Like

That didn’t age well lol. Anthony Lynn was a huge bust, Staley is gone too, and AG has got to actually produce finally this year.

Dan did add some awesome coaches, like Ben Johnson and Hank Fraley - but the particular examples the author gave ended up being a little funny

Losing Jamaal Williams, an unreliable Swift, an unreliable Chark…Hock proved to be not missed at all…is a weird stance.

Monty>Jamaal
Gibbs=Swift, probably at worst (and I love Swift)
LaPorta is just a +
Marvin=Chark

I think it’s easily arguable we have more firepower headed into 2023. And Jamo is gonna put this offense over the top. Jamo included, there aren’t 5 teams who are as complete on offense as we are.

IMO of course

1 Like

There’s a reason he’s making this stance on the offense…and I’ll just leave it at that.

Oh, yeah. We are going to miss his leadership and tenacity.
Said that as soon as they let him go.