After 11yrs, will the Patriots finally do this again?

This was somewhat surprising to me, it’s been 11 years since they have done this.

The Patriots haven’t signed a first- or second-round pick to a rookie contract extension since Dont’a Hightower, who was a member of the 2012 draft class. Things may change in 2023, as the Patriots have a 2020 second-round pick who is worthy of a new deal. [Kyle Dugger]*(Kyle Dugger Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com) is currently eligible for an extension, and the safety can make a strong case for a new contract in New England.*

The defensive back was a surprise pick out of Division II Lenoir–Rhyne, with the Patriots selecting him 37th-overall in 2020.

1 Like

Safety simply doesn’t get the traction it used to in the draft so I’m not sure it’s going to get it in the second contract market. Not sure, how did we get Branch at 45, the FIRST safety taken in last years draft? It’s not like it was simply a crap year for safeties or that Branch wasn’t all that. Pay to play says he’s gone.

I hope they don’t sign him and the media keeps trumpeting to everyone how cut throat “the patriot way” is.