Aggravating but definitely understandable. National news

lets everyone know how much the Lions team is not looked at all all, They judge strictly on overall stats. When they talk defense you can tell they are lazy and have done no real work for their article. The reality is the Lions defense took on a new life the last part of the season. They were a top 10 defense. A player here or there and better batch of backups when people get hurt the Lions defense could be top 5 overall. The national writers think they are way off. Just lazy I guess and frustrating. Detroit Lions supercharge defense in Todd McShay’s latest mock draft - mlive.com

Well, the Lions D climbed up from 345th to 18th.
They were never top ten. I wish!
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they used 5 out of the 8 picks on defense, including 4 of the first 5.
My background is auto service. It’s great to be able to go, but, ya gotta be able to stop.

1 Like

Interesting post.
This morning, one of the GMFB crew picked the Lions as the team to watch next year.
Yesterday the same group were talking about Detroit.
Vegas as Detroit as one of the top 11 teams and fourth highest in the NFC for the SB.
TheAthletic postseason power ranking has Detroit at 8, only NFC team above them is Philly.

I am seeing, hearing, reading a lot of positive articles on the Lions for 2023. From coaching staff, to talent on offense to 5picks in the first three rounds. Far more than the last ten years.

9 Likes

I honestly want the national talking heads to forget about us. The only news I want to hear about the lions is local or from the beat writers. I really don’t like the national attention because I want us to surprise, again. That won’t happen of course, but I also don’t want them to get those headlines ready that you know they do, “the lions went back to being the lions” or other such tripe.

1 Like

I want it to continue, this team needs to embrace the pressure that comes with higher expectations, hopefully, the new norm. Campbell has talked about it in season and after.

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily get worked up about a mock drafter not really knowing the lions needs. Risdon and other local media guys have been complaining about the tight ends mocks to Detroit bc it isn’t going to happen. National mock guys aren’t necessarily the same as the rest of the NFL media and talking heads and all those guys are all pretty hyped about the Lions. The NFL as a whole sees the lions as the next big thing……

As you, iirc, and others have stated-early mocks are all about clicks and discussion.

1 Like

Exactly, we are falling for it right now. :crazy_face::man_facepalming:t2::joy:

2 Likes

LOL.
True, with one change, for me anyways, as we head into the off season.
I have more confidence in this management/staff to do well and continue to build on the foundation laid the last two years than previous groups.
Now, granted some of this is in hindsight but man it feels different from ownership down.

2 Likes

You can say that again…

dumb and dumber GIF

1 Like

I don’t understand this topic at all. I don’t know how you can look at the Lions roster and go “Yep, defense is set.”

There are holes everywhere and tons of positions to improve. Why anyone take offense to anyone suggesting the Lions defense needs to improve is beyond me. Did they improve over the last 10? Sure, they did play better and then we started winning.

All the more reason to add talent to make sure there isn’t a regression.

And when it comes to national media? The Lions have been darlings for since about 4 wins in a row. They are getting tons of love as one of the teams to look out for from multiple outlets.

Hell, they’re even #9 in vegas’ opening Superbowl odds. If anything, most of the national guys have been hopping on the Lions bandwagon for a while now. It started filling up to the brim after the GB win to end the season.

We had a long ass road of losing, again I used to wonder if the league would just get rid of The Detroit Lions team…more than once. why I’m saying this is because IT is going to take a LOT of winning or a very fast super bowl win to change a lot of people’s opinions of the team…even a few playoff runs MIGHT sway more, though I doubt that unless we win them.

you can’t have one good season in the 2020’s early and think now the world of NFL fans love us. some have given props for 2022, BUT we have to do better yet OR equal what we did then…because we cannot go backwards or we are still losers-then.

NFL Live commentator, moments ago, when discussing the Cardinals and their future suggested they look at the Detroit Lions and Dan Campbell as a model to follow.

Now NFL Live doing a segment on Johnson coming back to Detroit as an under rated move. Mina Kimes doing this one saying many have predicted the Lions to win the division and when it happens we will point to this move as one of the big reasons why.

2 Likes

Count me in on the “this was a young D and took their lumps, but gradually kept getting better” crowd

CB depth is issue
Get an established coverage LB (Pratt?)

Maybe a superhero DT

Outside of that, looking solid

1 Like

The last 10 games they were a top 10 defense according to their stats. You did watch the games?

1 Like

[quote=“Davicus, post:11, topic:21550, full:true”]
I don’t understand this topic at all. I don’t know how you can look at the Lions roster and go “Yep, defense is set.”

There are holes everywhere and tons of positions to improve. Why anyone take offense to anyone suggesting the Lions defense needs to improve is beyond me. Did they improve over the last 10? Sure, they did play better and then we started winning.

All the more reason to add talent to make sure there isn’t a regression.

And when it comes to national media? The Lions have been darlings for since about 4 wins in a row. They are getting tons of love as one of the teams to look out for from multiple outlets.

Hell, they’re even #9 in vegas’ opening Superbowl odds. If anything, most of the national guys have been hopping on the Lions bandwagon for a while now. It started filling up to the brim after the GB win to end the season.
[/quote] Over half the Lions games at the end of the season this defense was pretty good at the very least at letting teams score. Yes, there are holes, not gaping like some would like to say. Here is the defense the last half of the season. 9, 30, 18, 28,14, 23,17, 37 , 10 ,16 Doesn’t look like holes everywhere to me. The last 10 games the Lions were pretty good on defense.

1 Like

Some people might say who cares, but when they start hyping certain teams early in the offseason, those teams often do very well the next season.

Getting the league, media and zebras on the Lions side for once, sure would help. :smiley:

I guess my main point was lazy reporting

According to the numbers the last 10 games the Lions held there opponents to 202 points making there average per game at 20.2 which put them tied at the number 7 best defense. The top defense was san fran at 16.3 per game. The top 4 were under 18.6 per game the next was 20.1 at number 5. So now tell me the Lions defense was god awful?