Albums you think don’t have a single bad song on them

I was at that concert with my older brother - my 1st contact high at age 10!

this and anything live by Lorenna McKennitt

1 Like

I think it is a matter of if you like a band/singer. Probably the more mass appeal albums that people mentioned, Beatles, Floyd, ACDC, GnR, etc. I agree with all those.

I have a couple other that while popular, might not be everyone cup o tea.

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Green Day - American Idiot
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Weezer - Blue Album

2 Likes

Some good picks in this thread — hopefully no repeats below

Classics
Led Zeppelin — II, IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti
Doors — Doors, LA Woman
Bowie — Ziggy Stardust
T Rex — Electric Warrior, The Slider
Neil Young — Rust Never Sleeps
Not big Beatles fan but there’s no denying Stg Peppers is a masterwork

Live
J Geils Band — Full House, Blow Your Face Out

Alternative
PJ Harvey - Bring You My Love (this album made me fall in love with her — she’s my fav musical artist — the real deal)
Sleater Kinney — Dig Me Out (needs 2-3 listens before it grabs you by the throat and won’t let go)
Pixies — Doolittle (alt classic)
Concrete Blonde — Walking in London (for me, by far their best album)
Liz Phair — Whip-Smart (another one that needs 2-3 listens before you judge)
L7 — The Beauty Process (critics don’t think much of it but I think it’s great fun)
Already mentioned but Nevermind is an unbelievably great, groundbreaking album

Blues
BB King — Guess Who (another one the critics pan)
ZZ Hill — Greatest Hits
Buts hits albums shouldn’t really count

3 Likes

Yes, being able to listen to one album, track after track is rare but uplifting
I tend to make “mix tapes” — now with Spotify

I never could access Meddle — I’ve tried more than a few times
I know what you mean about Pink Floyd
I’ve gone back and forth with them — in the end I can no longer listen to Dark Side of the Moon
I think Wish you Were Here is their best but can’t really listen to much more than Have a Cigar these days
The Wall — a handful of good tracks but too gimmicky for me now
That band really left a mark though —. cannot be denied

Great suggestions. I’m going way back now…

Traffic - Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys

3 Likes

Low Spark — love that album
It’s just great music

Ones I consider great that (I believe) haven’t been mentioned yet:

King Crimson - “Court of the Crimson King”
Wishbone Ash - “Argus”
Radiohead - " OK Computer"
Talking Heads - “Stop Making Sense”
Pink Floyd - " Animals"
Alan Parsons Project - “Tales of Mystery and Imagination”
Elton John - “Honky Chateau”
Portishead - “Dummy”
Frank Zappa - “Apostrophe”
Lucinda Williams - “Car Wheels on a Gravel Road”

Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues - If you’re not a jazz buff, but you want to dip your toe in the water, Horace Silver is a great listen. His blend of latin jazz and hard bop is technical, yet ultra-accessible and listenable, even to novices, because of his melodic style. Most critics prefer Song for my Father, but I find the energy on Cape Verdean Blues to be unbeatable.

Miles Davis - Bags Groove (Prestige 7109) - Most people would go with the seminal Kind of Blue, which is widely regarded as one of the best albums of all time across genres (for good reasons). I love Bags Groove because of the eclectic blend of players in the ensemble. Sonny Rollins, Milt Jackson, and both Horace Silver and Thelonious Monk are on this release. Lots of disparate styles that all come together for a really listenable album.

The Chronic - Dr. Dre - This album was the soundtrack to the summer before my junior year in high school. It’s a really good album, but nostalgia may be helping this one.

ZZ Top - Eliminator - I’ll be the first to admit that 80’s ZZ Top is definitely not the best of the group, but Eliminator is a super-strong album, full of hits and listenable deep tracks.

Evanescence - Fallen - I’m a sucker for rock bands with a female singer, going all the way back to Heart. While this disc may not be one of the all-time greats, it’s really good, and I’ve listened to it from start to finish too many times to count.

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - Another nostalgia one. May not be everyone’s cup of tea, but this CD was played in its entirety and enjoyed many times in the early 2000s.

White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1 - I really like most of Rob Zombie’s stuff, but I think this album is his best work. The combination of metal and groove really hits the spot for me, and even the deeper tracks are really solid.

Kylie Minogue - Fever - Come at me, bro. At least I can admit that “I Can’t Get You out of My Head”. This album is great, start to finish.

Highway to Hell and If You Want Blood…(live)- AC/DC
Blast Tyrant and Earth Rocker- Clutch
No. 4- Stone Temple Pilots
Moanin’ in the Moonlight- Howlin’ Wolf

1 Like

Love the Pixies!

2 Likes

Portishead — Dummy
Great addition
That entire album is a great weird music fest
It’s had lots of play at our house

I found their follow up album a big drop off
No idea if they’ve done anything else

Pixies deserve to be more widely known
One of my personal top 10 bands of all time

1 Like

Anybody like Rodriguez? Detroit musician/poet who disappeared for decades before being rediscovered and became an international sensation years later. His records bizarrely became popular in South Africa and Australia before his story became an Oscar winning doc. Actually ran for mayor of Detroit at one point.

So many great songs and yet he was almost lost to history. Quite the enigma.

1 Like

For sure. Saw them at their reunion show at the Fox. Kurt Cobain said their sound was his biggest influence. Loud. Quiet. Loud.

Allman Brothers-Live at Fillmore East
Little Feat_Sailin’ Shoes
The Blasters-The Blasters
Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman
Rockpile-Seconds of Pleasure
Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees
The Band-Rock of Ages

Reunion show at the Fox?
Like 15 years ago?
I saw them at the Fox as well :smiley:

1 Like

Yep with Kim. What a fantastic night. So cheers on being at that show!

I missed them at St. Andrews when they first came around, back in the day. It turned out to be a disaster anyway, Charles walked off after like 20 minutes or so after getting a shock from his mike.

I’ve seen Charles as Frank Black a couple of times, once with David Lovering doing a magic show as the opener. They hinted at a renunion and it came to pass. So glad I got to go.

The Pixies/Chili Peppers/REM were my late 80s soundtrack. I loved Nirvana but not much else from Seattle. I went to see RHCP at the State Theatre cerca '91 and they had two opening acts I’d never heard of at the time, Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins lol.

For anyone’s who’s never heard the Pixes, check them out. Best to listen to Doolittle with headphones on as a start. Holy crap.

2 Likes

Alice In Chains Dirt and Soundgarden’s BadMotoFinger are both really good albums IMO.

3 Likes

Led Zeppelin IV
Ry Cooder- Into the Purple Valley
Grateful Dead- American Beauty

1 Like

Def Leppard High and Dry
Journey Infinity
REO Speedwagon High Infidelity