Am I crazy to think that

Dallas could be preparing to move off of Dak rather than pay him $60m per.

If so do they become a sneaky QB needy team in this draft? Parsons and Lamb are likely going to get $65m combined. Maybe damn near $70m per. Are they willing to wrap up half of their cap in 3 players.

It’s an interesting angle that nobody is really discussing from what I can tell.

3 Likes

I hope they pay Dak. Love him in Dallas & the advantage that gives us in the playoffs.

1 Like

Nope, you aren’t crazy.

I mentioned somewhere on here (probably to @Jman) how the Denver beat guys seem to think Payton wants to load up on talent around the QB this year to entice Dak next offseason. So there are definitely some in the league who think this could happen.

1 Like

It’s been reported that the Cowboys and Dak have agreed not to negotiate an extension until the 2024 season has finished. That’s basically an announcement that he’s a free agent, because for all that there’s tampering rules, it gives other teams the opportunity to “whisper” some big numbers in Dak’s ear and see if he likes them.

The Cowboys might still decide that they want to extend him and ultimately come to an agreement, but other teams have a year to figure out if they want him and how much they can throw at him. Dak has a no-franchise-tag clause so he’s now wide open for teams to approach (subtly).

Miami is another scenario I’ve heard mentioned.

They would definitely be enticing as well

If that’s the case don’t they have to be thinking long and hard about QB in this draft.

They’re probably arrogant about it though since they found Prescott and Romo so cheap. Wouldn’t shock me if Jerry had his eye on Rattler later.

no Tua?

Breer is the only national guy I’ve heard repeatedly talking about this. And in a more general sense he keeps talking about us nearing the point in which only the truly elite guys will get the huge money and other teams will take their chances rather than spend 20+% of their cap on good but not great QBs.

Purdy will be one of the most fascinating ones to watch. Goff is to a lesser extent as well. If Breer is right then after a short while agents and their clients will adjust their expectations and an upper middle class QB market will emerge. Which is IMO more rational that the current situation.

2 Likes

My good buddy is Dolphins die hard. He feels pretty confident that the brass thinks that offense succeeds despite Tua rather than BC of Tua.

2 Likes

The plan might be Trey Lance.

1 Like

Right, it could be that too.

That’s a good point

Bad timing to try that experiment though…
Pance will be a UFA in 2025 as well…

unless Dallas picks up his $22.4 million 5th year option.

They did add Josh Reynolds….

so they might be on to something there… :laughing::open_mouth::wink:

I haven’t given it any thought but I wouldn’t be going gung-ho to pay dak either. He’s good, but he leaves something to be desired. Does he fill up the stat sheet? Yes. Does he win playoff games… Less so.
Jerruh is really getting up there and I can’t say for sure if he’s ready to stick with Prescott for the rest of his years