Amik Robertson ready to go

https://twitter.com/_YoungTruth7/status/1772736769504534697

Dude wants to be here. Love to see it.

15 Likes

My original take for the CBs:

Detroit just needed to be league average at CB and Lions win the Superbowl. Potentially worst CBs in the league and Kirby wasn’t anything special.

Lions go from bottom 3 CBs to anything above average, along with a better pass rush. Holy smokes.

5 Likes

Brad Holmes was talking about him playing outside corner in his presser. Maybe we already got the 2 ouside starters…plus Branch is the nickel.

Still need more depth though.

2 Likes

Eh he was also mentioning how he’s played the slot most of his career. I think he’ll compete for a starters spot outside…. But ideally he’s your first back up CB. He can spot start either outside or inside, and you can feel confident he’ll get the job done. But I think ideally the Lions should want a legit starting outside CB added to the roster before the season starts

1 Like

I hope so too. We shall see. At some point Holmes gotta draft a corner you would think.

In 3 drafts…3rd round Iffy was moved to safety and Chase Lucas was a 7th round flyer. That’s it.

4 Likes

I love the signing. Super happy to have him. Let’s not forget we have Mosley too and he’s pretty good as well.

I really think the Robertson signing is all about sub packages. I’m expecting to see more cover 3 and mod type of packages with him in the line-up.

Curious to see how we attack in the back 7.

2 Likes

Brad says that he let’s the board be what it is and just takes the best player. I don’t believe that. I think he factors in position whether he admits it or not. But there is some truth to it, and Brad shows his hand in free agency more than the draft. He said CB is the position that he is most passionate about. The highest one we have taken is Branch. However, I will say that it seems like we almost pulled the trigger on CB twice in the 1st round last year. The first was Spoon. When he went ahead of our pick, we traded down. And a CB was in consideration alongside Jack Campbell. When the CB went off the board, it made the decision “easy” to take Jack.

5 Likes

I think this is a very heavily nuanced comment by Brad and in general. Also the best player is subjective and the criteria is subject to change. But I do think what he is really trying to say is that if you are drafting to fill and hole and expect a player to start right away that you are setting it up all wrong. MCDC and Holmes want a process that tells the player that “we do not need you, we need you to prove to us you deserve to be on that field”. By filling all the needs before the draft that allows them to draft players that they feel fit their culture and have potential to be very good players in this league. Even if that means it will take a year or 2.

Listen it sounds nice. And I think for the most part he can run it that way,…kind of. But he will need to draft some depth at the Oline this year. That is a need. And the player he drafts might need to play week 1 depending on injuries and such. So it is nuanced is all.

I mean, he’s probably an upgrade from our starters at the end of last year… So we have that going for us!

1 Like

Sounds like Amik still plans in starting :laughing:

4 Likes

Good, as he should.

1 Like
4 Likes

I think the plan all along was CD handles one side, Amik handles the other. That’s what they did, very well at times, with their old teams that caught our eye. Slot and safety will be the camp battles this year, as will backup and ST rotations. Very matchup oriented moving forward. With our new guys, they step into those competitions but our greatest hope is that CD balls out and we get a 3rd round compensatory pick next year and avoid the big contract extension.

1 Like

IMO it sounds like next year is finally when we pivot to the comp pick game. I think it’s coming. It’s the shrewd response to top heavy salary problems IMO.

I think we do extend Goff, Alim and Decker but the rest we’ll be cost conscious about.

Carlton Davis, Barnes, Iffy, DPJ, Zietler, Davenport, Moseley if he starts healthy…

Some of those are more the lower tier qualifying types provided they play well but I think Iffy and Davenport can be big ticket items if they play really well.

But I’d expect 2-3 extra picks in 2026 and for that to become a trend.

I think he’s starting. He’s too good not to get plenty of playing time.

My guess is both rookies are brought along slowly.

3 Likes

I agree. I think early in the year especially. I expect all four or five guys will get a ton of playing time.

2 Likes

Wowww Amik has Twitter cover page as:

Jaguar Paw

Amik one of my new favs just for that

1 Like

This is going to force everyone in that room to step their game up. Too much talent now to not be locked in each week. Let your play slip and there’s two guys on the sidelines just waiting for that one shot to take someone’s job. Love it

6 Likes

Plus if someone blows a knee… the guy coming in isn’t a UDFA for once

3 Likes