An extremely rare play from the past weekend--the 2 pt conversion from the defense

On May 19, 2015, the NFL owners adopted a proposal to permit a defensive two-point conversion for the 2015 season. On May 20, 2016, the owners adopted a further proposal called the two-point fair-play rule: this prevents the defense from getting a turnover during a two-point conversion and then intentionally committing a foul to increase their chance at a two-point return. If the defense gains a turnover and then commits a foul, the offense will have the option to accept the penalty and attempt the try again. It has not yet been enforced in the NFL.

Stephone Anthony of the New Orleans Saints became the first NFL player to score a defensive two-point conversion, returning a blocked extra-point kick from Graham Gano of the Carolina Panthers on December 6, 2015.[14] On December 4, 2016, Eric Berry of the Kansas City Chiefs became the first NFL player to return an interception for a defensive two-point conversion, which was thrown by quarterback Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons.

Lions haven’t been involved in one from either side of the equation.

Thank you for making that explanation easy to access.
Watching the video, I couldn’t understand why it wasn’t a pick six.

I’m not sure it shouldn’t be, tbh. Degree of difficulty suggests it’s worth more than 2 points. Then again, so should the offensive conversion option. You have to score a second TD to get 1/3 of the points ?! Should be equivalent to a FG at least, imo.

1 Like

That was my first reaction, ‘what a rip off’.
The offense chose to go for two instead of one. They failed.
That has nothing to do with the defense and there is zero reason their performance should be discounted.
You won’t change my mind.