Andrew Thomas

Like I said, arguing for the sake of arguing. You can’t even manage to agree with yourself.

Glad you finally took the L on this one. You have nothing to add, which means you lose. Better luck next time. Just try not to lie.

Its not about W’s and L’s for me, but clearly it is for you…which is why you argue even when you are disagreeing with your own talking points.

We have a top 5 pick. You don’t want to stay put and take the top LT on the board. You suggest the idea of moving around and getting a tackle there. If you end up in the 2nd round or later taking a tackle, then you agree with me and are arguing just for arguing sake. If you end up after the top LT is off the board, you are pushing right to the exact point where you said you didn’t want to be and taking the 3rd or 4th best OT off the board. Let me guess, you are ONLY interested in the 2nd and 5th rated tackles off the board. That’s gonna be your next argument to get out of the fact that you argue on emotion instead of discuss topics with logic and an open mind.

1 Like

Better let it go BTF. I can’t say what I would like to say because he has already booted me for “personal attacks”.

Nope. Wrong again. You claimed the Lions continually pick OTs in the first round, over and over and over, which is a lie. That was my issue. Just say you don’t want to use a first round pick on a OT and leave it like that. When you fabricate nonsense like that, when they have only taken 2 OTs in the first round in the last 11 drafts, I call it out. No big deal, just own it.

This team currently has a lot of holes to fill. The defense is obviously a bigger need at the moment, which is why Chase Young is my #1 target. He seems elite and an instant impact type player and happens to be at a position of dire need. I don’t necessarily see any OT’s that are can’t miss at this point but there is a handful of 1st round graded OTs, so if Young is off the board, I would rather trade back and fill 3 needs in the first 2 rounds (even if you take an OT in the first and an Edge and a S in the 2nd or something of that nature). Not to mention, some of the other instant impact type players are at positions we actually seem ok at like WR.

LOL, you know he is just baiting you with the personal attacks of saying that you “argue on emotion instead of discuss topics with logic and an open mind”, right? So, let’s see if he is right. You used facts to say that we have used 2 first round picks in the last 11 drafts. Check. Facts support logic is something I have found to be true. You said earlier that you would take an OT in the top 10 but not the top 5 only to have a list of top 5 OT’s posted as a rebuttal to what must have been an “emotional” argument on your part…LOL. You know, I’m probably going to get removed from the board for simply pointing out the obvious here but it seems to me that personal attacks like the one he just made on you is OK if you are a mod. And if that wasn’t a personal attack, I would sure like to know what it was. It certainly had nothing to do with constructive discussion. BTW, I also agree on trading back if Young isn’t available. It depends on what is offered.

1 Like

Nobody needs to be banned. I’m guilty of going too far sometimes. This one here just went down a rabbit hole because someone always has to be “right”. I think people are up on that. I just like to call it out when I see blatant falsehoods created out of thin air.

In the end, none of this will matter when Quinn trades up to #2 and selects a fullback. lol

1 Like

Well, like I said, if what he threw down on you wasn’t a personal attack I don’t know what is. If he boots me, do me a favor and let Nate know that from me it was fun while it lasted.

Definitely part of my point.

We have a revolving door of mediocre LTs that we keep swapping out. I’m over it. We had mediocre Backus and we spent a 1st round pick to get Reiff to replace him. Then 4 years later we draft a mediocre Decker to replace mediocre Reiff. Now some people are suggesting to keep the cycle going. Let’s draft yet another 1st round OT to come in and replace Decker. I say just pay the man and use our resources better than to replace mediocre players over and over.

I said I didn’t want to use a 1st round pick on an OT, and exactly why I didn’t. If you don’t like my opinion, too bad.

Makes sense

Don’t forget 1st rounder Gosder Cherilus!

I have seen literally ZERO people say that. I have seen them say they would like them to move Decker to RT and draft a LT. That is a totally different picture than you are trying to paint.

Again, I haven’t seen that. I could be wrong, but this isn’t what I was seeing.

Look a little closer. Some people are making the same argument that they made when Reiff’s contract was up. And just like back then, its not particularly practical to move Decker over to the right side. He’s proven to be competent on the left side, so he’s not going to have to take a paycut just because you put him at a cheaper position. He’s going to be offered LT money as a free agent. So if you aren’t going to resign Decker to be the LT for LT money, why would you be willing to give Decker LT money to play RT? That all puts us in the same spot as before. Drafting someone to replace Decker, and letting Decker walk.

I certainly haven’t forgot about that! What sucks is we had Branden Albert right there for the taking, and some of us wanted Rashard Mendenhall. We trade down and take Gosder frickin Cherilus? Wow.

Just to keep this topic about football: There IS a difference between drafting an OT at the top of the 1st rd and drafting an OT in the middle of the first. Though both are prospects: The question is: Is this guy a top of the draft prospect? Or, is a good prospect? The Lions have drafted middle of the first prospects from Gosder to Decker. So the question becomes: Is Thomas a big time prospect? Is his ceiling HOF and his floor Pro-Bowl? I don’t think he run blocks well enough to be a top 5 pick. Our offensive philosophy is run first, set up the playaction. It won’t be great if we can’t run. With that said: I wouldn’t draft Thomas. That’s my honest opinion.

1 Like

Yes, I think the earliest that we have drafted a LT in the past 20 years was at 16. Going off the top of my head but I think that’s right. With re to Goz, he was a RT. I was hoping that IOWA’s other OT Alaric Jackson would declare but he is staying for his senior year. For people who want Tristan Wirfs he plays RT and I would look at him in a scenario where we traded back in the first but with the win now or else mantra happening I don’t see that happening. If these guys are really trying to make it a now or never future for themselves they would trade next years first and this years to get Young. If it doesn’t work out, hell they’re gone anyway. If it does work out you look pretty smart for finally getting an impact player.

1 Like