Andy Dalton better than Goff and Fields?

I sure as hell am glad they did though…

1 Like

It’s almost like saying the $22 million saved by cutting Trufant, Coleman, Shelton, James, Daniel, and Christian Jones… actually hindered the Lions ability to spend money in free agency…

2021 cap hits:

Goff… $10.65 million
Dalton…$10 million
Fitzmagic… $10 million

How far does $650k go in free agency these days?

1 Like

Artose Piner lit up the Lions

So we didn’t pay Goff 25 million this year?

Maybe @DeadStroke can help us to know what our money situation would have been had we not traded with the Rams and traded with Carolina instead.

You’re still charging off the Stafford dead cap, there’s no getting around that part.
So then, it’s a matter of how much Bridgewater makes and how/if that contract would have been renegotiated. For the Broncos, he’s on a 1 year 4.5 mil contract.

If I understand the Panthers offer, and going off air’s suggestion, you’re looking at:
Sewell
Parsons instead of Levi and Melifonwu (2nd becomes a 1st, plus there’s no 3rd from the Rams)
6 mil in cap savings in 2021
30 mil in cap savings in 22 and 23, but no additional 1st round picks, either.

1 Like

Goff did get paid $25.65 million this year… but $15 million of it hits the cap at $5 million per year over the next 3 years due to his restructure they did… leaving the $10.65 million cap hit in 2021.

The whole point made was that Goff’s contract kept the Lions from spending as much in free agency in 2021 compared to what they could have spent with 1 of those QBs listed… which is WHY I showed they had almost the same cap hit in 2021.

The Lions could have even restructured another $4 million for Goff if they wanted to maximize the available money in 2021… and his cap hit would have ddopped by another $3 million to $7.65 million.

In other words… having a different QB wouldn’t have significantly impacted the Lions ability to spend in free agency for 2021.

2 Likes

The thing with Goff isn’t about 2021. Its about 2022 and beyond when we start paying him 30 million a year of cap we could have spent on something else. And we don’t have a decent out until 2023 to avoid a 30 million cap hit. And even then its still a 10 million cap hit.

THAT is why the Goff trade was so bad if we weren’t going to take a QB last year.

2 Likes

Teddy is technically on a 1 year, $11.5 million deal.

Carolina agreed to pick up $7 million on his tab before they kicked him to the curb.

Teddy was originally due $17.95 million in 2021, w/ $ 10 million of it guaranteed… and a cap hit of $22.95 million.

Carolina traded for Darnold before dealing Teddy away… which provided Teddy with motivation to leave… and landing with Broncos and all those weapons on offense was as good a situation he could hope for at the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/28/report-broncos-restructure-teddy-bridgewaters-contract/amp/

So… the question we would have to know… is would Teddy have agreed to restructure his deal to facilitate the Stafford trade???

Carolina certainly would have had trouble squeezing $23 mill from Teddy and $20 mill from Stafford under the cap… so he could have decided not to help make the deal happen. Teddy would have known getting cut made him a UFA with $10 million in his pocket… and a chance to make more than he actually is making now.

Are we confident he makes that same concession to be the Lions QB in 2021???

1 Like

Excited I Love U GIF by i-love-you

Seems to be a lot of numbers floating around, none of which have been the same. I’ve seen a 650k difference and I’ve seen a 6 million dollar difference.

No disrespect to anyone but not sure who or which #'s to believe.

I’m not confident in anything. I was putting it in it’s best light for the sake of the conversation.

You have 0 additional players vs 3 from the Rams.
You have lots of cap space to pay for a premier free agent for 2 years.

You don’t know who they take in the 1st, but you almost have to assume 1 would be a QB and not Parsons.

It’s hard, even in hindsight, to suppose a better outcome then can be reasonably expected from the deal they took.

So, even spotting the QB salary, is the imaginary plan better?

1 Like

The 6 mil is with the imaginary trade with Carolina. The 650k is with Dalton or Fitzpatrick.

1 Like

$650k is the difference between Goff’s cap hit in 2021… vs. the cap hits of Dalton and Fitz.

$6 million is the difference between Goff’s $10.65 mill cap hit in 2021… compared to the $4.5 mill cap hit Teddy currently has for Broncos (on a deal he agreed to do for them, NOT the Lions). As @LineBusy just pointed out… this the BEST case $$$ savings when looking at the hypothetical alternative trade.

1 Like

If we don’t take a QB with the first pick, what about Dalton as a FA next year?

Andy Dalton really? I’d rather just tank. Which is what Dalton is anyway.

He is another hyped Qb like mayfield , never play big in big games

Possibly.

The key here is that roster bonus of $15 mill in '22, imo.

I think that may mean they can cut Goff this spring with $15 mill less in dead cap. Still painful, but with a big cap bump expected, doable.

I don’t think DET will do that, but I look forward to you all obsessing over it till next spring…

1 Like

Goff > Dalton

Goff showed in this last game with one more very minor weapon in Reynolds that he can still play this game.

Get a new OC, a few new WRs, and the OL healthy and this thing can be a top 10 offense with Goff running the show…

2 Likes