Any car peeps here?

Have to swap out the engine in a 2012 Equinox. Thinking of finding a garage, buying a lift and doing it myself.

I know my way around tools. But don’t know a whole lot about engines. Is this crazy of me?

They aren’t terrible to do. Basically you drop the entire subframe and then pick the motor off of it. Take a lot of pics and organize the nuts/bolts so you can put everything back together. Mostly it’s just disconnecting a ton of things so you can drop the frame (or lift the car)

Why are you replacing? Timing or oil consumption?
Just guessing as these are the two main issues with these cars.

1 Like

[quote=“TNutZz, post:1, topic:32186”]
But don’t know a whole lot about engines. Is this crazy of me?
[/quote] you should have a person beside you that knows engines and is quite mechanically sound so things don’t go wrong—because if you try doing it yourself and harm your engine , you will be spending considerable cheddar buying and having an engine installed anyway.—PLUS if you and your loved ones are driving an incorrectly installed motor, you could cause significant harm or death to the passengers .

2 Likes

It’s an issue with the 2.4L ecotech engines that there’s currently two class action lawsuits against GM for

instead of putting in a normal PCV valve, they used a fixed orifice diaphragm, which, under certain subzero conditions can clog up and raise the pressure of the crank case, and blow out the rear oil seal

Which is what happened to me, going down the highway

I found a used engine with 90,000 miles on it same year same makes a model for $600 delivered.

Was going to install this with a new timing chain, water pump, alternator and whatever else should be changed out at the time

Yeah the PCV system is a pain. If its all thats wrong you can clean it. Still would have to separate engine/trans to deal with the rear seal though. Really poorly designed engines.

Well this engine doesn’t have a PCV. It put in a stupid diaphragm that got clogged. The engine currently in it is toast from losing all its oil on the highway

Timing/Pump & just give the intake a thorough cleaning and make sure that PCV hole stays cleaned out so the same thing doesn’t happen to this one.

1 Like

from what I’ve been told a $20 ventilated oil cap could’ve stopped this from happening

Yeah there is just a hole on the inside of the intake manifold that clogs up. You cant access it without taking off the manifold or drilling a hole from the outside. I recommend the drill trick and then you can just clean the hole out whenever you feel the need.

1 Like

it’s this issue

I have seen that trick work also, saw a couple guys make vent tubes and catch cans off of their caps.

This guy will show you where to drill. I just drilled mine from the outside and I use a thin wire to clean it every 6-8 months. Better safe than sorry

1 Like

The dealership wanted $16,000 to repair it and GM told me I was shit out of luck

The dealer was also pretty evasive about the cause. He told me it was most likely due to something else, but that’s complete bullshit because I was taking meticulous care of that thing and there was no oil burning and no noises until a couple days of subzero weather, and suddenly pop – no oil.

16k is astronomical. ■■■■ dealers.

Yeah, they go with no warning when it clogs up, basically causes the motor to just suck all of its own oil out.

1 Like

Hate to say it, but… I wouldn’t advise it. It’s not building a model airplane. I’d much rather pay the money to have someone do it that will guarantee the work IF something should go wrong.

1 Like

Yea me too. But the labor costs from local mechanics makes this a no go. It’s self or scrap a car I owe 6,000 on

i’m having an engine shipped right now that I found used functional, explored the Vin number for $600 all in shipped