Anyone think the defense is now a strength?

The only unit that has gotten better on paper is LB. minus Slay the secondary is worse and we still have no pass rush. Our season is going to ride on the run game and wether or not we can sustain drives and score in the red zone instead of kicking FG’s. We can’t count on the D to make stops when the offense is kicking FG’s and keeps giving the other team opportunities.

I think it has marginally improved, but not enough to overcome the flaws in the scheme. They have to make rushing the passer a priority.

1 Like

Do we know what the scheme is in 2020? Not being sure of the scheme makes it difficult to answer.

Yep. Last year I was excited going in…becasue our DL was going to be so dominant?!?~ eh???
Snacks had a great 2018, and truly changed our defensive production
…came out the next year…suuuuucked
Daniels - pro bowl potential - almost didn’t see the field because of injury
Hand - high ceiling/high floor…expected improvement…didn’t see the field
Bryant - had a chance to contribute, but didn’t know what to expect
Flowers - our splash FA signing (only one that didn’t let me down)

This year - Flowers will be awesome (again)
Okwara seems to be high ceiling but potentially low floor too
Truly don’t know what to expect of rest of DL

We went from the worst front 7 in football, to the worst front 7 in football.

Maybe the new DC won’t be complete trash, so there is hope that the overall scheme and defensive output will improve from last, to not last, but it will definitely not be a strength.

The defense still has exactly zero play makers or guys who get real pressure.

Bro, we had Mutt and Jeff as the lockerroom leaders on a 2-year pout. There’s no way possible that communication isn’t better.

1 Like

From last year at this time compared to this year right now, I say No…but then I think how could it really be any worse, so who knows.

LOL - I’ve seen some of the same in here…on a 10 year pout. I swear, you don’t have to look hard to see this…

Without mentioning names, there are a handful of posters in here that look like/sound/behave like I would imagine a litter of animals that were the spawn of Eeyore and Yosimete Sam. Combo of a drama triangle pattern that goes back and forth between victim “Thank’s for noticing me,” and anger (still a victim pattern, but not as easy to see) “Friggin’, frakin’, fruckin’, smuggerin’…”
10 year pout

1 Like

No, but the O should be better so anything that keeps them off the field is a plus.

I don’t think communication was the issue in the secondary, I look to me like they were ask to cover way to long with lack of pass rush. But that’s just me.

1 Like

One area where there should be a clear upgrade–CB & S.

The combination of Okudah & Trufant is better than Slay & Melvin.

Additionally, Oruwariye got some valuable experience toward the end of last season, so I’d expect that year two of A.O. will be better than year one of A.O.

Duron Harmon is an upgrade over Tavon Wilson, especially in coverage. The guy is a proven playmaker. Wilson wasn’t.

Harris 2.0 should be better than Harris 1.0.

1 Like

Now there’s a visual. I’ve often been reminded of Eeyore but never made the Yosemite Sam cross-comparison. Tasmanian Devil? Yes. Not Sam though. I like it.

1 Like

I think communication was definitely an issue. Pass rush as well of course. But we had guys running wide open early in plays especially on crossing routes. Perhaps it was more so communication on the second rather than third level but there definitely were communication issues in coverage IMO.

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers

· 7m

Asked about the pass rush on 97.1, Quinn mentions the team is expecting more from Austin Bryant.

Bryant and Okwara could be a nice pair coming off the edge.

I’m not sure if they are or aren’t. Time will tell, but I think we are better on the offense side of the ball.

1 Like

A strength? Not sure but I can just about guarantee it will be better than that shitshow we had last year!

I think the new DC and Collins will end up being huge additions. Plus it appears Davis will potentially be seeing less playing time and that definitely helps!

Not a strength, but if they can give up one less TD per game we’ll be in the playoffs.

Yeah, they could have sat down and talked for hours waiting for the pass-rush to get close to the QB.

1 Like

Some of those are simply Melvin being unable to keep up. (Some, mind you, not all. After all, we did have Jones and Davis colliding in the defensive backfield, too.)