Anyone think the defense is now a strength?

Nvr

Here’s there rank in total defense

2017-31st
2016-8th
2015-8th
2014-11th
2013-28th
2012-26th

Those were there ranks while he was DC.

If you want to give him credit for their performance when he was position group coach go for it

2 Likes

Patricia has never once led a top 10 defense, and his defenses are only getting exposed worse as time goes on.

3 Likes

Jim Schwartz defense DVOA:

2019- 12th
2018- 15th
2017- 5th
2016- 4th
2014- 2nd

Since Jim Schwartz arrived in 2016, his Eagles defenses have ranked among the top ten in rushing defense (1st–93.4 ypg), red zone defense (2nd–49.5 ypg), third-down defense (3rd–35.4%), scoring defense (7th–20.8 ppg), and takeaways (9th–94).

2 Likes

Defensive scoring is the metric that matters. I just went back 10 years for a number. We can look at just 12-17, but for heaven’s sake, look at the numbers that matter, defensive scoring. He was never outside of the top 10.

Never outside of the top 10 in defensive points allowed.
Never.

Again, your comment that they were never more than average is clearly hyperbole. Fact is, like it or not, his defenses did not give up a lot of points relative to the rest of the league.

1 Like

I have to admit I do miss the Schwartz defense. It was exciting to watch and very aggressive

Go back and re-read what I actually posted.

The word never isn’t in that post.

OK. Wasn’t “never” but was still hyperbole.
Never outside of the top 10 in defensive points allowed is “always better than average”, not “weren’t better than league average on defense most of the time”.

“Eagles’ Schwartz: Points are the only stat that really matters”

3 Likes

Speaking of “strength.” Holy crap. Becton and Wilson are perhaps the two most powerful OTs in the draft. I get that they have to respect his speed and all but still.

And that first play against Virginia. Chip the tight end and still win with speed.

This cat is going to be good. Really excited to have him.

Okwara had a Joey Bosa level pressure rate. That’s why he wouldn’t have been available in round 3 or even 2 if he hadn’t gotten injured with the way he was trending and how well he would have tested. On the freaky strong and twitchy athletic side. We should count our lucky stars that these building block level guys were on the board with each of our first 3 picks.

2 Likes

POTY candidate.

2 Likes

Honest answer is no.

However a healthy Stafford with a healthy run game could be enough to carry the team into the playoffs. Maybe even a divisional title.

1 Like

I think it’s improved immensely from last year’s debacle. Getting rid of Slay and Snacks was addition by subtraction. We have better starters at every level.

Okudah + Trufant + Harmon > Slay + (Any other CB last year)
Collins + Okwara > Kennard
Shelton + Williams > Snacks(after he got paid)

A healthy Hand and Bryant adds depth to key positions.
Having a run game should help. A healthy Stafford should help. Getting rid of the malcontents and having a good locker room should help. I expect to see a BIG jump in the D’s overall ranking.

6 Likes

Whatever can make Christian Jones not be on the field will make the Lions much better, maybe a win or two better.

Im just a guy on the couch but every time he was out there, I said throw it right Jones (or by him, hes so slow). Sure enough, the other team which scouted the Lions thought the same thing.

Patricia put together one of the worst defensive in principle. Slow LBs that can cover the center of the field. No pressure from the front four.

If its not that, the team will be much better.

1 Like

I can’t see Jones on the field much next season of we stay relatively healthy. Gotta figure Collins eats the majority of those snaps.

Is this a joke?

1 Like

I was swearing up a storm just after the 2nd pick. After the 3rd, whew!! I couldn’t talk, just growl, snarl and howl. After I slept on it (whole draft), and on what must be on their minds for this years playbook and looking at guys either in 2nd year and coming off injuries I believe the Lions will be a much better team. More balanced. I think the Lions offense is going to be pretty dang good. Even tho they’ve another tough schedule, the offense should be best in NFC North! Defense should be good enough to keep the pressure off the offense. Defense a top in 12. So somewhere between #1 and #12 team in defense in league.

1 Like

As long as D stays healthy. The Lions had injuries at every level last season. They had backups to backups to backups starting and guys off the street starting.

1 Like

IF we go from 32nd to 10th-12th ranked I’ll eat my socks IN 2020.

1 Like