Architect of Lions 2001 draft dies

Tobin was responsible for Backus, S Rogers, and Raiola before Millen forced him out and took over the drafting in 2002.

1 Like
  1. Backus - stable but meh.
  2. S. Rogers - flashes/sparks but eventual flameout.
  3. Raiola - hothead and good road rage candidate.

That’s my recollection.
Anyway, RIP and I hope you got to enjoy the newfound success.

1 Like

three time pro-bowler. pretty sure he played about 6-7 years for detroit and a few with Cleveland, so Im not sure that’s a flame-out.

the other two were solid and steady for a long long time. Over 190 starts for each. It was a good draft, especially when you look at what Millen picked up after that.

4 Likes

If we could have strung a couple of solid drafts like that together we would of had a descent team. One solid draft every 10 to 15 years was kind of how the Lions had always operated though…until now.

In any case, I met Bill Tobin a couple of times. He seemed like a very serious person, but also seemed like a descent human being.

RIP

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t remember jack s*** from that far back - more likely memory suppression. But, unfairly to them, they get to be reviewed in the light of a s***** regime. I wonder if they’re looking at the current regime and thinking, boy were we born at the wrong time or what.

2 Likes

You left out the best two of that class, Scotty Anderson and Mike McMahon.

2 Likes

Was he responsible for Charlie Batch and James Stewart?

Two first-ballot boner patrol hall of famers

he had probably the greatest sack I’ve ever seen when he grabbed Mike Vick by the ankle right after the snap

that said, he would always show so much, and then do nothing. probably should have been a cowboy

2 Likes

Well, we did have a team that was in descent–the record kept getting worse and worse until we reached 0-16.

The last decent draft we had until 2009. That was a looong eight years as fan. woof.

Should have been a cowboy?

Rogers was my favorite lion for some years. I’ll never forget that oxygen tank recovery run he had, maybe against the rams?

country music GIF by Toby Keith

Infamous for his Colts draft day run in with Marvelous Mel Kiper

Denver

1 Like