Are you going to watch Calvin’s Induction?

This might be why teams typically don’t ask for signing bonuses back or otherwise make ok with hall of fame talent before they get the stage and speech. Chicken or egg ? Big picture management.

Maybe lions were surprised he made it so fast and that’s why woods message in a bottle has yet to reach Calvin.?

Playing for the Lions routinely treated like :poop: by media and nfl and refs
And even perhaps the ownership
Though Calvin career was actually marked with a lot of ownership turnover when considering nfl careers

But

I really tend to wonder

Is it fun to play football for the lions ?

I’m
Not even sure it’s been fun to be a diehard fan
In comparison to how much fun other teams fans have

This feels like a hater thread where I’m
The slappy.

You guys heads will explode when lions start posting about Calvin everyday in lead up to speech.
I hope they pay him off
Just to upset all the fans who think
That’s not how you do business.

Then I hope it helps turns lions into the place to play.

…now compare playing for he Lions to working in a cubicle or factory
…then compare the pay checks
:wink:
Looks like fun to me

NO!

1 Like

You know, I used to be in the “Calvin is a whiny bitch” camp until you pointed this out in a prior thread.

Reality is, as you pointed out, the majority of time this is the player doing the team a favor by re-packaging money the team already owes them into a different structure for cap reasons (calling it a “signing bonus”).

When that hit home my opinion on the topic did a 180

6 Likes

I love the Lions, and hope they some day win it all.
Doesn’t mean they didn’t totally F up this situation, and should be called out for it.
As we all know though, Calvin will take the high road and thank the Lions. And yes, I’ll make this my first speech I watch since 2004.

3 Likes

Not the same

You’d need to compare

Factory to factory

Calvin was getting $113mi from
The nfl
Maybe more
Due to what the nfl could make off him.
Bear packers Bucs etc could’ve paid calvi.

Lions did because they controlled his rights.

I’m agree it’s a super good point

3 Likes

I’m not comparing football team to football team.
I’m talking about what Calvin could be thankful for. How Calvin could be grateful for playing for the Lions. I look at my 20s, and what would have been different if I had made NFL money in that time…Grateful AF. :wink:
Any life to Calvin’s life - that’s my angle. I don’t have to compare it to other teams, or anything else.

Looking at if from a what could have been standpoint
vs
Looking at what couldn’t have been/Grateful for what you have, standpoint.

Want peace in your life, the latter approach will bring a lot more of it.

Lions ownership sucks, for sure, but if I were giving my induction speech, I know which angle I’d be coming from. :wink:

Lions may suck by NFL standards, but by life standards…pretty friggin’ amazing.

So is it your contention that CJ has “spoken fondly of the Lions?”

I guess if you keep this energy up across the board

If you’re saying a factory worker with a bad owner should also be grateful they have a factory to work at

Because many don’t have the blessing of even factory work

So I just don’t think the comparison is fair because ( if one believes this particularly in USA ) we all have opportunity to make something from nothing.

Calvin can be grateful to football the NFL and even to lions yet still stung by lions who don’t seem to be grateful Calvin had more success than many of the top picks who wash out.

I won’t care of Calvin goes scorched earth on lions. Imo they might even deserve it. I don’t expect him to - if anything I just think he won’t acknowledge certain people or specifically thank lions
But it’d be interesting to hear his truth. Maybe that would help the lions ownership raise the bar?
When calvin was on team many said he wasn’t vocal enough a leader. If his being vocal Shames lions into “really trying to win” maybe as fans
We’ll get the benefit from it.:disguised_face: lol

1 Like

This is totally true. It is also true that if CJ had played out the contract that he signed and renegotiated with us, he’d have gotten every red cent of that contract. Then he (lied) and said it was his broken body that forced him to retire early and thus he just “couldn’t” play out the contract. But now we know the truth of the matter. That he just didn’t want to play anymore for “us” and wanted to be traded, which the Lions refused. So instead he quit. Then wanted to keep the money.

IMHO we would have had a better chance at hardware with Matthew Stafford, Adrian Peterson and Suh than with CJ as great a WR as he was (one of the best ever I fully agree). Second is that the Lions were flat stupid not to trade CJ when he wanted out. The money would have been someone else’s problem and we’d have had a young stud starter right now from the compensation of the trade, as opposed to conversations about how CJ is going to diss us in his HOF speech.

1 Like

When I took a couple years off college to work in a Chrysler plant (raise money to go back to college), I busted my ass with all the OT I could get - 125 degrees in the press room - terrible. I changed my stars. Over, and over, I level up. We get to understand that WE ARE the mission. We are not victims of circumstance. Football is not life. Factory is not life. NFL is something that guys do and most have a fair amount of fun with it, for 5-10 years to raise money for the entire rest of their life. I look at it like the Cash Flow game. NFL is innnn-creeeedibly well positioned for his life. A Detroit Lion is not a victim as a football player…He’s incredibly well positioned as a human to set up the rest of his life.

If football was life, and you could never get away (none of that’s true), your point would make more sense to me.

These guys get to do marketing deals, are positioned to help other humans, start other businesses. Holy shit, what an amazing opportunity. I would be super grateful to do it even for one big contract past the rookie contract.

I think they already have. Lions ownership that CJ played for is not even here anymore.

There are tons of personalities on a football team. I love CJ, and how he showed up in his role. I was very thankful for him (bought his Jersey in black back in the day, and more recently, the support the troops one). Love the dude.

My entire philosophy is to show up in peace. Anger, resentment, etc is constant scattered energy of hanging on to stories of the past. Peace gives us a clear lens to look through. Peace is the highest priority. Only through being at peace with our anger can we ever see the TRUE source of it. Only through peace can we look at ourselves and know how we can grow from it, and process in a healthier way next time.

Peace is the path to fulfillment. All else is operating in a world of short term extreme highs and extreme lows. If you are a victim of circumstance, you are co-dependent on others to live a life of fulfillment. Co-dependent is being a bitch to circumstances, rather than energetically sovereign. In the human world of “fair/not fair,” and finger pointing, blaming, shaming, etc, etc, we can tell lots of stories to make ourselves unhappy.

I have no attachment to how he shows up. I think he’s mostly a very classy dude. I generally like the guy. I also understand if he is upset. All I’m doing is expressing through my own view of the world, and how I see things.

God didn’t make me 6 ft 7 with a 500 lb bench press for a reason. With the upbringing I had, I would have been a very good work ethic. I would have been polarizing. people would have loved how I showed up on the field, and hated how much time I spent in strip clubs (at that age in my life). I consider that. I’m looking at the world through the lens of a very handsome 50 year old. I am aware that when I was younger, I would not have handled myself nearly as well.

I get it. Been there/done that. I’m working on a book called “The Evolution of ■■■■ You…A Journey from Anger to Peace.”

I know a lot of you guys will read it.

All I’m doing is speaking through the lens of someone who has spent half a lifetime working on getting to being the way I am.

I feel I understand where you’re coming from fairly well.

1 Like

I’m in your age though I’m likely less handsome. Never really went to strip clubs.

I get in general choose peace
Be at Peacs
Life goes on

The OG giving game to the 36 year old
Or even younger version of ourselves

I don’t think Calvin is walking around unhappy. Not a peace. He’s said he’s at peace with lions
He just isn’t into working for them or into the organization in general.
To me I don’t think Thst means he’s walking around with a burden not at peace.

In projecting how he Feels… how angry , how bitter , how much not at peace he is …you’ve already compared your work ethic at a factory etc
So if you apply that type of work ethic - in comparison to peers - Calvin worked like you or harder.

This amazing platform and future you see for bro players seems to actually ignore quite a bit about what stats have said about former nfl players

From being depressed , going broke , having it easy …, that doesn’t seem to be the reality for most nfl players.

Which brings back the question of Calvin and money paid by the lions - in the nfl the lions had to spend that money. They didn’t go above and beyond their budget to sign him or break salary cap rules.

I think it’s important to remember in these discussions our seats as fans of trying to understand the athlete or owner position.

To me , I can’t come up with any good reason why lions chose their route
But lions gonna lions.

It’s just funny to me because there’s no lions ownership in the hall of fame for so many fans to want the money to go to MFF -
I’m not sure what she did to earn the million.

Hire wood ? Hire BQ ? Hire MP ?
Fire Caldwell ? Trade Tate ? Alienate the one career lions hall of famer and thing you could celebrate with the fans instead creating dividion over what none of us would even care about.

I really don’t care about the money either way. Outside of how I feel it paints the org who is trying to attract top talent and be a place people want to be

The nfl formula makes it a bit moot. Sewell might’ve most wanted to be drafted by lions at 7 because nobody took him
Sooner. Lions will have access to draft another future hall of famer and they rarely say NO ( Eli Manning )

And there’s always a fresh set of desperate not yet paid college athletes coming to replace the guy who lost his passion.

And then we add
It’s the lions - wood in particular
Who has stated he’s planning to smooth things over and reach out to Calvin. Each time he makes that comment
What do you think media does ?

It’s a shame to me. But I’ll enjoy his enshrinement.

Could very well be. I never said or implied he wasn’t.

Could also be. I have no attachment to it. I haven’t been speaking to his idea, and have no attachment to it. All I’m saying is peace means being grateful…Grateufl is how peace is done. Recognizing your anger and being thankful that it is there to teach you. I’m just talking about a way of being. People were poking fun at the idea of “what can you say at a HOF induction speech, when you play for the Lions.”

Simply put … An absolute truckload.

We get to choose how experience ourselves and the world.

I’m not trying to understand anything. Merely talking about what he could be grateful for, if he chose to be. I’m really not even talking about CJ, here…only his situation and potential choices he could make.

I’m not even talking about that…only reasons he could be ultra-thankful for what he has, and what football has provided him with.

I agree w/this, but that is an entirely different conversation. Lions ownership has been at it for all the wrong reasons. I believe WCF viewed theLions as a fun play toy, a prestigious, billionaires playground for the family after church on Sundays. He was living in his own world, and football wasn’t big part of it. He was very content to collect the profit margins from the “lovable losers.”

I also feel like ownership is very different now (also a different conversation).

I think you and I are down completely different rabbit holes here.

My focus is on “what could he say at a HOF induction speech”. Someone earlier implied it is nothing but a shit storm. I am talking bout a man and his life, not just a friiggin’ football game.

100% extension of a hypothetical situation, no matter what any fan thinks.

I’m 100% projecting my view of the world, and not even trying to prognosticate what he thinks or what he will say. All I did was answer the question of “what could he possibly say.”

You’re in a completely different rabbit hole than me, bro.

If I were talking Lions ownership, and their handling of situations, I would almost completely agree w/you…this is not that discussion.

I’m more of a free flow talker

But you said he literally played the game fir money

Yet
It’s work.

He literally went to meetings , practiced , showed up when they told him to , etc

It’s literally imo a stretch to say it’s just a game and not work.
Not every kid played football
Some like to build with their hands and consider it playing
So the factory worker could be considered playing rather than working
Depending on what you found fun as a kid.
So in that wsy
I think it’s still important to remember our seats as fans thinking how great it is when you may not really know the struggle

If I’m talking totally different topic and you only were presenting hypotheticals on what Calvin might say

Imo I think he’ll show a tremendous amount of gratitude for football and the people he feels really helped him be successful.

How at peace or not he is
I guess I really don’t know.

He comes across as pretty happy right now with hof and his business venture.

In the full interviews , not sound clips , iMO he’s really not spending a lot of time trashing lions. Like if he wanted to - and maybe he will - it seems to me he could really say so much more which also makes me think , while he still might not be totally resolved with his feelings towards lions , he’s also at peace enough to where he’s not trashing them like he could

To answer the original question, it’s not must-see TV. I don’t expect him to throw the team under the bus in his acceptance speech, so it’s not that that makes me uninterested. It’s just that I’ve heard enough already. Have a coat and a smile and shut the heck up. His story has morphed enough over the years that you get the sense he’s just riding whatever narrative the host is pushing. When he’s in front of the mic, I’m sure his parents and handlers will have provided him with appropriate talking points. Welcome to Canton, CJ, now go home.

My contention is that I’ve actually watched some of the interviews in their entirety and you haven’t.

If you think he lied, you really don’t have a clue who CJ is. You are taking a bunch of one sentence quotes and fitting them to fit you’re narrative, because you are upset that he smokes weed and has a cannabis store.

Signing bonus money is a salary cap tool to manipulate the cap. It’s not a bonus for contract completion. It’s written up that way so that teams can recoup when a player gets suspended for failed drug tests or quits one year into the contract (like Barry did). That’s why you will never find an instance where a team goes after a signing bonus where a player played 4 years after signing an extension or playing 3 years on a new contract.

You . . . will . . . not . . . find . . . one. Unless you have an idiot like Rod Wood running your team.

These argument’s never get old from a entertainment standpoint. No matter what the situation is when a player speaks out against the Lions it’s always the player is being a bitch and it’s never the Lions fault.

Here are the cold hard facts. The Lions have been a complete shit show as a organization for all our lives. The only way we get FA’s to stay or come to this team is if we back the Brinks truck up to their door. News flash, it’s not the ex players who are wrong it’s the organization who happens to be the worst team in the league in the SB era. This organization made both Barry and Calvin quit in the prime of their career’s. Stop pissing on people’s leg and telling them it’s raining.

The Lions fucking suck! I know this because I have wasted every Sunday of my life for the last 40 years watching these losers play.

2 Likes

Completely agree with all of this.

1 Like